Sour Cherry Drop Cookies

Saturday 2 April 2016

 photo DSCN6143_zpssrgrpv7h.jpg

Sometimes you just crave a cookie.  I do at any rate . . .  and I am a diabetic, so cookies aren't really something I like to keep in the house.  They have a habit of getting into my mouth and that's not a good thing.  I try hard to be good . . .  but sometimes it is just really, really hard to be good.

  photo DSCN6144_zps4vvqhtpb.jpg

 I adapted the recipe for these delicious Sour Cherry Drop Cookies from one which I found in a book entitled, "The Big Book of Cakes & Cookies," by Hannah Miles.  Hannah was a finalist in the Master Chef Competition here in the UK a number of years back.  I have all of her cookbooks.  She's an incredible baker.

 photo DSCN6145_zps0xvn1ygm.jpg

And this is an incredible baking book with  365 recipes for every kind of cake, cookie and bake that you can imagine.  I chose these cookies because . . .  one . . .  there wasn't a terribly high amount of sugar in them and . . . two . . .  it only makes 18 cookies which meant that I wouldn't have cookies in abundance to tempt me.

 photo DSCN6146_zpsuvg47tnc.jpg

It was a really smart choice also because they are pretty darned tasty cookies!  They are soft, with a  lovely almond flavour . . .  and absolutely stogged full of  lovely tart dried sour cherries. I love, LOVE sour cherries.  In short . . .  these cookies rocked.   Sigh  . . .

 photo DSCN6147_zpsnwn3onrk.jpg


*Sour Cherry Drop Cookies*
makes 18

Soft and delicious and filled with lovely sour cherries 
.
115g of butter, softened (1/2 cup)
115g of caster sugar (1/2 cup)
2 large free range eggs, separated
225g of plain flour  (1 1/2 cups plus 2 1/2 TBS)
115g of dried sour cherries (3/4 cup)
1 tsp almond extract 

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter two large baking trays. 

Cream the butter and sugar together until well combined.  Beat in the egg yolks.  Stir in the flour, sour cherries and almond extract.   Whip the egg whites until stiff.  Fold into the cookie dough batter.  Drop by TBS onto the baking trays, leaving space for spreading. 


Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown and firm.  Lift off onto wire racks to finish cooling.  Store in an airtight container.

 photo DSCN6148_zpsq6ttxxne.jpg

If you weren't a diabetic you could really add another dimension of flavour to these cookies by adding a cherry or almond flavoured drizzle icing.  Just whisk together 65g (1/2 cup) of icing sugar with a few drops almond or marachino cherry juice and a bit of milk to make a thick drizzle icing to dribble over top.

Bon Appetit!

10 comments

  1. These cookies look delicious Marie :)
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gloria! They're good for breakfast too! (I am so naughty!) xoxo

      Delete
  2. These do look good. I'm a fan of sour cherries and I know I'd like them. Trying to cut down on sweets, but these would make a great treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that they are not overly sweet Carol! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I made these. I didn't have any dried cherries, I used dried blueberries and cranberries
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you liked them KC! Dried blueberries and cranberries sound like a fab substitution! xo

      Delete
    2. They were absolutely yummy. The blueberries and cranberries were in the same packet.

      Delete
    3. Ohhh how lovely. I will have to try them that way! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!