White Chicken Enchilada Pasta

Thursday 16 June 2016

 photo DSCN7455_zpsamrg9f6x.jpg

I saw this recipe on Julies Eats and Treats the other day and as soon as I saw it, I wanted to make it.  I love mexican flavours and I love pasta.  I did have to adapt it somewhat according to the ingredients I have available over here in the UK, but I was very pleased with the end results.

 photo DSCN7456_zpsf6lsapfu.jpg

I didn't have Creole Seasoning, and in fact didn't even know what it was, but I did a search and found a substitute for it and made my own from scratch.  Use caution in this ingredient as it is very spicy!

  photo DSCN7457_zpsmfhxuc8y.jpg

We don't have tins of chopped green chilies over here, so I had to use fresh Jalapenos and cook them from scratch which I did when I was cooking the onions.

 photo DSCN7458_zpsohcssfka.jpg

I also used low fat sour cream and cheddar cheese, to cut down the fat in the recipe as much as I could.  I didn't have angel hair pasta either, so I used whole wheat spaghetti.

 photo DSCN7460_zpsjw4azn35.jpg

Altogether it was quite, QUITE delicious.  Todd isn't fond of pasta as you know, but even he didn't mind this overly much, and I can vouch for the leftovers, which were very tasty indeed!

  photo DSCN7461_zps7z5dnxsf.jpg

And I forgot the extra cheese on top. In truth it didn't need it.  It was very tasty without it!



 photo DSCN7462_zpsrvhgpsru.jpg


*White Chicken Enchilada Pasta*
Serves 3 to 4
Printable Recipe 


A recipe I adapted from Julies Eats and Treats to what I have available here in the UK to use.  I also tried to cut down the fat.  It was delicious!


1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti, uncooked
1/2 TBS olive oil
1 TBS butter
1 medium onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, deseeded and chopped
1 tsp creole seasoning (I made my own mix.  See side bar)
8 ounces chicken broth
3 small chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
50g of low far sour cream (1/4 cup)
90g low fat strong cheddar cheese grated (3/4 cup)
Chopped black olives and fresh coriander to garnish

 photo DSCN7464_zpsp1ljsqjq.jpg


Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet.  Add the onion and jalapeno peppers.  Cook, stirring, over medium heat, until they begin to soften.  Add the chicken breast pieces and the creole seasoning.  Cook, stirring, until the chicken begins to brown.   Add the chicken broth.  Bring to the boil, then reduce to a slow simmer.  (You can add more hot chicken stock if you see it evaporating.  You will need some broth for the sauce, about 1 cup)

 photo DSCN7468_zpsc5cmy9br.jpg


Cook the pasta according to the package directions.  Drain well and rinse with hot water.  Drain again.
Whisk the sour cream and cheese into the chicken and broth.  Let simmer for five minutes for flavours to infuse.    Stir in the cooked pasta, tossing to coat.   Serve hot with the chopped black olives and coriander sprinkled over top.


Note - you can sprinkle with a bit of additional cheese if you desire.  I found that it didn't need it.  It was pretty tasty without it!


 photo DSCN7465_zpsndwxkqfu.jpg

Bon Appetit!

6 comments

  1. What an interesting way to serve pasta and a lovely change from the more common tomato based sauces. I really like the sound of the Cajun seasoning and can think of many uses for it. I'll add this to my list for dishes to try this month. We both like pasta, so it's a perfect dish for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are really going to love this one Marie! Its fabulous! I am excited for you to try it! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!