Basic Chicken Stock &Chicken Noodle Soup

Wednesday 25 January 2017



I have been making my own chicken stock for as long as I can remember.   Whenever we have the bones left from a roasted chicken I put them into a container in the freezer (if I am not going to use them right away).  That way I have them at the ready to use to make a delicious stock and then soup whenever I need them.  You can also use raw chicken backs and necks to make a stock, but there is a little bit more faffing required as you need to skim the broth frequently to remove any scum which rises to the top.  I prefer to use the bones leftover from a roast chicken myself.



It's not really that hard to do and the broth is really very tasty.  You can use it for all sorts, but I basically use it for soup.   There is nothing like a hot bowl of chicken soup in the winter time for what ails you!


 
*Chicken Stock*
Makes 1.2 litres or 5 cups 
 
 
 
This is pretty basic, but results in a delicious well flavoured stock that you can use as is or freeze for up to six months.  
 

1 spent chicken carcass, with some meat left on
1 onion, no need to peel (just trim the ends)
1 carrot, no need to peel (just wash)
2 celery stocks, with the leaves
the white part of 2 leeks
3 sprigs parsley
3 sprigs thyme
about 10 peppercorns
1 tsp sea salt 

Put the chicken into a large saucepan.  Add about 2 litres of cold water.  Add the peppercorns and salt.  Bring to the boil and then reduce the temperature and simmer for about 2 hours.  Chop all of the vegetables coarsely. add to the pot along with the parsley and thyme.  Bring back to a simmer and simmer for about 35 to 40 minutes.  Strain and place, tightly covered in the refrigerator.  Leave overnight.  Any fat will harden and float to the top.  You can remove this and discard.  Keep tightly covered and use the stock within the week, otherwise freeze.  

 
Note - if you don't have a spent chicken carcass, you may use raw chicken backs, wings and necks, about 4 pounds.   You will need to skim any scum which rises to the top during the first two hours of cooking and discard.



When it comes time to cook your soup, you can't get much better than good old Chicken Noodle Soup.   This has to be a real favourite around here.


There is no comparison when it comes to the differences between ready made and home made chicken noodle soup.  Home made is infinitely better!  My mother always made homemade chicken noodle soup, and had it in the freezer for when we were ailing. 


That first winter I was on my own after my BT marriage broke up (BT - Before Todd) I got really ill with the flu.  I was in bed for several days.  My mother brought me up some of her homemade chicken soup and I felt a whole lot better!


My mom never used to skim the fat from her soups, and occasionally she would miss a bone.   She always told us those little bubbles of fat on top were the vitamins.  (haha)  And the bones?  Well finding one was lucky.  No, we did not eat them.  You always had to be very careful that you didn't get one and choke on it.   


No matter how hard mom tried, one or two would invariably slip through into the finished soup.   That's why I make my stock seperately from my soup.  I like to use fresh vegetables for the soup, and the stock is well strained  before I use it.   It's delicious and a great way to use up the end of that roast chicken!


 
*Chicken Noodle Soup*
Makes 4 servings
 
 
1 TBS butter
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 stalk of celery, peeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and minced
5 cups hot chicken stock
1 cup of dried pasta noodles
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp dried parsley
salt and black pepper to taste
1 cup cooked and shredded chicken meat
Optional add ins:
a handful of frozen corn, frozen peas or frozen beans 


Melt the butter in a large saucepan.  Add the vegetables.  Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are just tender.  Add the garlic and cook for about a minute longer. Pour in the chicken stock, basil, oregano and parsley.  Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes.  Add the noodles and chicken, along with your choice of frozen optional vegetable.  Cook for about 10 minutes longer.  The noodles should be quite tender.   Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper.  Serve hot. 



 
*Optional Homemade Noodles* If you are feeling really keen

186g of flour (1 1/4 cups)
pinch salt
1 egg, beaten
60ml milk (1/4 cup)
1/2 TBS butter



Sift together the flour and salt.   Add the beaten egg, milk and butter. Knead the dough until smooth.  Cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes.  Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness.  Cut into desired strips and lengths  Seperate and allow to air dry.  Two hours is my preference, but you can successfully use them after about half an hour.   Add to the soup along with the broth.  They will take about 20 minutes to cook.



And there you have it. That is how you can get the most out of a roast chicken!  Bon Appetit!

2 comments

  1. We make our soups the same way..many roast the carcass firt have you tried?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't roast the carcass first Monique. I think it just drys it out too much and there is no need for it. The only way I would roast is if I was starting with raw bones, then I might roast them, but with an already cooked carcass, there is no need in my opinion! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!