Creamy Potato Gratin

Friday 6 January 2017

 

This was the potato gratin I made to go along with our ham for our New Years celebrations.  It is not only delicious but very simple to make.  It is not low in calories however, so it will remain a once in a blue moon treat!


Myself, I only allowed a small spoonful, and I felt guilty about that.  But I did enjoy the small bit I had.   I really did.  I would like to try it one day with a really low fat to see if it turns out as well, but for this time, I only had the full fat cream.


Its as simple as peeling potatoes and slicing them thinly, then simmering them in some hot cream you have infused with some garlic.  You could also infuse with some bay if you wanted, but I left it with just the garlic.


Once the potatoes are knife tender  (meaning the tip of a sharp knife easily pierces them, but they are not falling apart), you scoop them out with a slotted spoon into a buttered baking dish, spreading them out evenly.  


You stir some cheese into the cream which remains and melt it, then pour that mixture over top of the potatoes and bake until everything is meltingly tender and golden brown.


This goes very well with roasts of any kind.  In the past we have enjoyed it with pork, lamb or beef.  It is rich and flavorful.   It is perfect for entertaining, both in that it is deliciously indulgent and in it's easy of preparation.  



 
*Creamy Potato Gratin*
Serves 4 
 
 
 
This is simple to make and so delicious.  It goes well with roasted meats of all kinds.  
 

2 large baking potatoes, or 4 medium sized ones
1 pint heavy cream
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and bruised
salt and black pepper to taste
a handful of grated strong cheddar cheese (about 1/2 cup)



 


Peel your potatoes and cut them into 1/4 inch thick slices.  Keep them in salted water until needed. 


Place the cream into a large saucepan and add the garlic.  Season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.  Bring to a simmer over medium low heat.  There should be tiny bubbles all around the edges.  Let sit for a few minutes, then scoop out the garlic and discard.  Drain the potatoes well and add to the cream mixture.   Bring back to a simmer, then simmer on low for about 15 minutes until the potatoes are knife tender.   


 
Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Lightly spray a gratin dish with low fat cooking spray.   Scoop out the potatoes with a slotted spoon, layering them in the gratin dish.   Stir the cheese into the cream left in the saucepan.  Pour over top of the potatoes.  Cover with a lightly buttered sheet of foil.  Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes covered.  Remove the foil and roast for an additional 20 minutes.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.



If you decide to make these or can think of a lower fat way of making them just as delicious, do let me know!  I love hearing about your experiences and any advice is welcome!  In the meantime, Bon Appetit!

6 comments

  1. Looks like something terrific to bring to a dinner too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must try this version as I normally cook the potato in the oven from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done it that way also Suzan, but the last few times I have done it this way and it is quicker and so much less hassle! xo

      Delete
  3. Do you think you could make a slurry with flour, use 1/2 cream and 1/2 milk in the pan and thicken with the slurry? Do you think that might work to reduce fat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Mary, but for some reason I only just got this comment! I usually respond a lot faster! I am sure you could do that, but it would be more like scalloped potatoes instead of a gratin. But if you want to reduce the fat then go for it! Also you would not be able to cook the potatoes in the slurry like you do in the cream, because it would stick to the pan.xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!