Perfect Granola

Thursday 19 January 2017



I have been making my own granola since the mid 1980's.  My next door neighbor used to make her own granola and she taught me how to make my own.  I've been a huge fan ever since. 



I have bought it ready made on occasion and I have to say it has always, always, ALWAYS been a bit of a disappointment, no matter the brand.  It just has never come up to my homemade one.


I like lots of nuts in mine, and this recipe has a really nice nut to cereal ration, coming in at half the amount of nuts as there is cereal and coconut combined.  


You can use whatever kind of nuts you like.  Today I used cashews, hazelnuts, pecans, almonds and pistachios.  Normally I also throw in some macadamia nuts but I didn't have any to use today.


I use organic unsweetened coconut chips.  I like the size of them and the nice crunch they give to the finished granola.  You could certainly add any dried fruit you like to the finished granola. 


I prefer to add it as and when.  Sometimes I add dried sour cherries, and others I am in a raisin mood.  Sometimes I don't want any fruit at all except for fresh fruit.  The sweetness in the granola comes from a small amount of pure maple syrup.  120ml spread out over the whole recipe means that its not overly sweet and I think it is just right.   A bit of vanilla also adds a nice touch. 



*Perfect Granola*
Makes about 6 cups 

I think this is the perfect balance of toasted nuts, coconut flakes, old fashioned oats and maple sweetness.  Not too sweet, just perfect.  I enjoy it with plain yogurt and sometimes a squirt of date syrup if I am feeling espcially indulgent. 

300g of old fashioned rolled oats (3 cups)
100g of unsweetened coconut chips (1 cup)
300g of mixed nuts (about 2 cups)
3/4 tsp fine sea salt
120ml pure maple syrup, I use Grade B because it tastes richer (1/2 cup)
80ml olive oil (1/3 cup)
1 tsp pure vanilla



 Preheat the oven to 160*C/300*F/gas mark 3.  Have ready two shallow baking sheets with rims.  Spray lightly with low fat cooking spray. 


Measure the nuts, coconut, and oats into a bowl.  Whisk together the olive oil, maple syrup, vanilla and salt.  Pour this over the oats, coconut and nuts.  Stir to combine well. Divide the mixture between the two trays spreading it out evenly.  Place into the oven using the top and bottom racks.   Bake for 10 minutes.  Remove.  Stir well and then return to the oven changing the pan which was on the top to the bottom and the bottom to the top.  Repeat three times, stirring each time and switching racks, for a total of 40 minutes in all.  The nuts and oats will be toasted and the coconut a golden brown.  take care that it doesn't start to burn.  Allow to cool completely and then store in an airtight container.


I am not a hippie dippie, but I do love my granola!  To me this is perfect.  You might like a bit of spice with it, so feel free to add cinnamon or cardamom, whatever floats your boat.  A handful of this also makes a nice snack. Bon Appetit!

4 comments

  1. Always wondered what exactly granola is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you know Linda. You can add dried fruit as you wish once it is baked and cooled, or not. I just keep it plain and add whatever on the mornings I am eating it. It's really delicious. The storebrands are loaded with fat and sugar and the flavour doesn't begin to touch this! xo

      Delete
  2. Jacques is back on a granola kick again:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try this version Monique! Its nothing fancy, but it's very good! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!