Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake for One

Saturday 14 January 2017






One of the most popular and favourite desserts here in the UK has to be Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake.  I can't think of anyone that wouldn't swoon at being presented with a nice bowl of Stocky Toffee Pudding slathered with lashings of cream.  


It is just heaven in a bowl.   I first tried it when we were up in the Lake District.  You could buy it readymade in the chiller cabinets at the shops.  It is a Lake District original and considered to be a modern classic!





 And so, so, sooooo popular. Small wonder.  A sticky moist date filled cake topped with a sticky caramel topping.  What's not to like?   


Only about a bazillion calories, but who's counting!  Quite dangerous to have around . . . 



Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake for One






 It presents a bit of a conundrum . . .










First . . . its fabulously delicious, but its only big enough for one, meaning that there isn't a ton of it hanging around tempting you to keep digging in.  



Which means that I can make this just for my husband and I don't have to eat something which I really shouldn't be eating . . . 







But . . . .  it takes less than two minutes all together to have it sitting on your plate waiting for you to dig in.  


So . . . you are never more than two minutes away from eating sticky toffee pudding . . .








Hence the dilemma . . . but hey.  My husband  doesn't mine not ever being two minutes away from sticky toffee pudding and I can certainly exercise a little bit of willpower.









You will either hate me or love me for this.  The choice is yours.  


I tend to think that it might be a little bit of both, but hey, I have big shoulders.  Enjoy!





*Sticky Date Pudding for One*
Serves 1 generously
I saw a recipe for a honey mug cake and the wheels in my brain started turning and this is what I came up with.  This is an "Oh My Goodness!" cake.  Wowsa!  This is dangerous. 

For the cake:
2 TBS butter, melted
2 TBS Date Syrup
1 medium free range egg
3 TBS light soft brown sugar
few drops vanilla
4 TBS self raising flour
For the sticky toffee sauce:
1 tsp butter
2 TBS soft dark brown sugar
1 TBS cream
few drops vanilla

To serve:  (If you dare)
pouring cream






Have ready a large mug/ramekin.  Whisk  the vanilla, melted butter and date syrup together to combine fully in the mug. Whisk in the brown sugar and the egg.  Whisk in the flour until smooth.  Place in the microwave and cook on high for 1 minute to 1 1/2 minutes.  Watch it.  This timing depends on the strength of your microwave.  Mine took 1 1/2 minutes. 


Take out and set side while you do the sauce.   Melt the butter in a small bowl then whisk in the cream, vanilla and dark brown sugar.  Microwave for about 3 seconds and whisk again. It should be smooth and not gritty.  Place the mug/ramekin with the cake onto a small plate. Pour the sticky toffee sauce over your warm cake and serve with or without cream for pouring.   I dug a little hole into the centre and poured some cream into there.  Oh my word, this was so very good.







I really can't wait for you to try this.  If you love sticky date cake with sticky toffee sauce, then you are in for a real treat in . . .  less than two minutes.   I bought my date syrup from Amazon. (UK) (US) (CAN)  



You can also make your own using this recipe. It works a charm and is essentially the same thing as the stuff you buy. You get a lovely date flavour and moistness without any chunks.   Bon Appetit!


8 comments

  1. I see J loving this..date syrup?I have not heard of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a thick syrup like honey Monique. Over here you. An buy it is squeeze bottles to use instead of sugar. I like it on my oatmeal. You can also make your own. Xo

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of date syrup. Sounds interesting!
    How do you make your own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi amelia. It is lovely. I really like it. I have put links to where you can buy it here in the UK and in the US and also a link to a recipe which allows you to make your own in my very last paragraph of the post! Hope this helps! It's a very simple process! It is a thick syrup almost like honey! xo

      Delete
  3. This looks SO decadent!

    Does the egg get whisked in with the vanilla, melted butter, and date syrup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does Kath! Can't believe I left it out of the instructions! Well spotted! Thanks! xo

      Delete
  4. I'm wondering if molasses could be used instead of date syrup? Have you ever tried it with a substitution? It seems like the date syrup is the "sticky wicket" in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could use Molasses of course, but since an important component of a Sticky Toffee Cake is the dates, it wouldn't taste like a true Sticky toffee cake and would probably taste more like an unspiced gingerbread. xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!