Swedish Apple Pie

Saturday 7 January 2017


I had some apples which I needed to use this week and I was tired of doing the same old same old and so I did a search on google and came up with this.  I confess I had my doubts when I encountered this recipe on cooks.com.


It was so simple . . .  no crust per se, and no leavening.   How could this work?  Its been my experience however, that simple things are oftimes the best things, and so I crossed my fingers and went with the flow!  I took a chance.


Wow!  This was so simple and quick to put together.  You just slice the apples and dump them into the pie tin, sprinkle them with a little bit of sugar and cinnamon and then pour the batter over top and bake.


Leave it to the Swedes to come up with something which is totally streamlined and totally tasty.  That is their hallmark in design and clearly with cooking also!


The batter is simply melted butter, sugar, an egg and flour.  It shouldn't work, but it does . . .  amazingly! 


The apples are sweet and soft, without being overly so.  You will want them to be a bit tart because there is pleny of sweetness in that crisp and buttery batter topping.  
 
Oh boy, oh boy.   It is a day later and I cannot walk by this without wanting to dig in and have just a smidgen more.


It is one of the  MOST delicious apple desserts I have ever baked.  Seriously.  Talk about Hygge.  Comfort.  
 
Sweet comfort.   I know you probably only just started a diet and its too soon to break it, but hey.  Some things you just don't want to miss!


 
*Swedish Apple Pie*
Serves 6
 
 
This is simple to make and delicious.  Todd loves it.  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. 
 

6 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp apple pie spice (see my side bar)
170g of butter, melted (3/4 cup)
190g sugar (1 cup)
1 large free range egg, beaten
140g flour (1 cup)
pinch salt
60g chopped toasted walnuts (1/2 cup)
Vanilla ice cream to serve (optional)




Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  


Butter a 9 inch deep fill pie dish.   Put the apples into the dish.  Sprinkle with the sugar and then the cinnamon.  Whisk together the butter, sugar, egg flour and salt until smooth.  Stir in the nuts and then pour this over top of the apples to cover.  Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes until set and golden brown.   


Allow to cool until just warm before serving.  Cut into wedges to serve.  Serve warm with ice cream if desired.


Seriously you really do WANT to bake this.   I wouldn't couldn't lie about something as serious as dessert.  I guarantee it will become a firm favourite in your repertoire.  If you  ever find yourself in need of a quick and simple dessert that will blow your guests socks off . . .  this is THE one!


Happy Weekend! 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at mariealicejoan at aol dot com.

 Follow my blog with Bloglovin



16 comments

  1. I've made this pie for years! It's one of the easiest there is. I usually use gala apples, even though it calls for Granny Smith. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lin, you are so right. It is the easiest pie going. I am in love with it and am so glad that I took the chance and made it. Although I am sure my hips and sugar meter won't thank me! xo

      Delete
  2. This is very similar to a nz recipe I use. So easy and always delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marie my preferred apple for a pie is a Bramley but you usually use Granny Smiths. Is this because Bramleys go mushy when cooked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could certainly use a Bramley Jay, I like Granny Smiths and yes I think it must be because they hold their shape and more visually appealing. xo

      Delete
  4. Looks like yet another keeper mademoiselle:)(really madame..but let us act younger in print):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha Monique. I like the way your thinking goes. :-) This is a keeper of a pie for sure. Maybe it won't win any beauty contests, but it is sure delicious! xo

      Delete
  5. If you use gluten free flour with this, it is also a recipe that I have made! You are so right, it is very, very good! One thing, I think I want to make your apple pie spice, it sounds perfect. I don't usually have nuts to go in it but I have pecans that I will use.
    You are the best to share this one, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made it with gluten free flour Kay' but I have used pecans and they are delicious! Xo

      Delete
  6. HI Marie....
    Came over from Monique's beautiful blog...
    This looks delightful...going to give it a try!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Linda and welcome! This is worth a try, but I warn you, you won't want to stop at just one slice! xo

      Delete
  7. Hygge is a Danish expression, not Swedish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information Jules. I know that hygge is Danish. But this is a very hygge type of recipe. That was my point. Hygge is the art of cosy and finding comfort in the Winter months. To me this is perfect for that.

      Delete
  8. That is so good. In the American South we'd call that apple cobbler. Try using the same batter with fresh peaches or blackberries. - Chuck, Tallahassee Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The term rose by any other name comes to mind Chuck! This is really delicious. My apple Cobbler recipe actually has the apples cooking in a really delicious sauce, and I've just discovered I have never posted the recipe. Look for it soon! I am sure this would be fab with peaches or blackberries or both. xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!