Coffee & Cardamom Loaf

Friday 10 March 2017


Coffee & Cardamom Loaf.  I really love teabreads, loafs.  By that I mean a sweet quick bread that is meant to be served with a hot cuppa, not a bread made with tea.
 
One of my favourite cooking magazines over here in the UK is the Good Food Cooking magazine.  I used to have a subscription, but when I lost my job it wasn't something I could afford and so now I only pick it up when there are recipes in it that I am particularly interested in.  
 
The latest issue had a great recipe in it for a basic loaf cake right on the very last page, with some variations on it.  I thought this variation sounded delicious! 


I just love coffee flavoured cakes and cookies.  One of my favourite Canadian Candy Bars is the Coffee Crisp and I always call dibs on the coffee flavoured chocolates in the Roses Chocolate Box!  
 
(They are in the green wrapper!)  I have not had a coffee crisp in a very long time now.  Sigh . . . 


Back to the cake.  This is a very simple all in one cake, meaning you just pile all of the ingredients into the bowl and beat them together, then scrape the batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake.  Easy peasy. 

I love all in one cakes. Especially when they combine flavours such as this one has. Coffee?  Love that flavour.  Cardamom?  Love that flavour also.  Coffee & Cardamom together?  This HAS to be great!


I had some instant vanilla flavoured coffee left from my last Degustabox and that is what I used for the coffee needed for the cake and the frosting.   Some good!  
 
I didn't have any plain yogurt and so I used buttermilk with excellent results! Handy tip here, if you have a recipe calling for yogurt, or buttermilk or sour cream, you can usually interchange them, or make your own sour milk as well.


It makes a cake which is just the right size.  Loaf size.  Cutting into 8 thick slices.   Just perfect for us.


The coffee icing gets spread onto the cooled loaf and I created a white cardamom flavoured drizzle to decorate it with. It looked very nice when it was all done. 

The two together looked really pretty I thought. Tasted nice too!  This is a really fabulous cake. I highly recommend!


*Coffee & Cardamom Loaf*
Makes one 2 lb loaf cake

This smells heavenly when it is baking.  An all in one mix, classic loaf cake with modern flavours. 

For the cake:
175g unsalted butter (3/4 cup)
150g sugar (3/4 cup)
2 large free range eggs
225g of self-rising flour (1 3/4 cup)
50g plain buttermilk (3 1/2 TBS)
50ml strong coffee (3 1/2 TBS)
1 tsp ground cardamom
pinch salt
To ice:
100g icing sugar, sifted (generous 3/4 cup)
25ml strong coffee (1 3/4 TBS)
Also: (optional)
30g icing sugar (scant 1/4 cup)
pinch ground cardamom
few drops warm water



Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Butter and base line a 2 pound loaf tin.  Set aside.


Place the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, buttermilk, coffee, cardamom and salt into a bowl. Beat with an electric whisk until smooth. Spread into the prepared baking tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before tipping out onto a rack to finish cooling completely.


To make the Coffee Icing, whisk the ingredients together until smooth. Spoon over the cooled cake. Allow to set before proceeding with the optional cardamom drizzle. To make the cardamom drizzle, whisk those ingredients together until smooth, only adding enough water to give you a smooth drizzle. Flick it over the top of the set coffee icing. Allow to set before cutting the loaf into thick slices to serve.You should get 8 servings.

Coffee & Cardamom Loaf

We both really loved this cake.  It went down well with a hot drink and had a lovely coffee flavour.  I think next time I will increase the cardamom in the batter slightly.  The original recipe called for the seeds from four pods ground, and I erred on the side of caution by adding what I did of the ground.  next time I might add a bit more.  I hope you will bake it.  I am sure you will love it!  Bon Appetit! 

Coffee & Cardamom Loaf 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

11 comments

  1. Oh yum! This I'll make on the weekend and let you know how it goes. I'm shopping next Thursday, so I'll pick up some more Tex Mex spices and ground cardamom for you. I see that Old El Paso has some new whole wheat "stand and stuff" soft tortillas you might like to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are in for a real treat Marie. This is a cake you find yourself wanting just one more slice of! I am a nut for cardamom! But you already know that! lol xoxo

      Delete
  2. Looks fantastic..this is my kind of bite sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy this Monique! I hope you try it. J too! xo

      Delete
  3. This looks gorgeous! Putting it on my "need to bake" list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious, Marie. I think cardamom is such an interesting spice. I'm looking forward to trying your recipe!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love LOVE cardamom Jane! You will love this cake, at least I hope you do! xo

      Delete
  5. I love this blog and I am getting fatter by the week as I keep making your recipes. As I am unable to digest buttermilk what amount of plain yogurt would you use? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would use the same amount as buttermilk, 50g or 3 1/2 TBS.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I am making this tonight!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!