Ham Hash, & Epicurean Kitchenware

Wednesday 8 March 2017



Eddingtons recently sent me some kitchenware from Epicurean to try out and I have spent the last month putting it through it's paces in a big way.  I could have told you about it right off the bat, but I wanted to really use it before I spoke to you about it.

Epicurean Cutting Surfaces are a world-class kitchenware brand committed to creating responsibly sourced, design lead and innovative kitchenware. The Epicurean brand was the inspiration of a custom skate park manufacturer who realised the potential for its use outside the skate parks when he was asked by friends and family to create chopping boards from the almost indestructible new materials used in the build process.

I received one of the large chopping boards in the natural colour and two utensils, a large spoon in the slate colour and a  sauté tool in the natural colour.


The Kitchen Series Chopping Boards are made from an eco-friendly, organic, wood fibre composite, available in a variety of sizes and colours; natural, slate and nutmeg. The wood fibre provides cooks with a knife friendly smooth surface upon which they can carry out all their food preparation. The boards are extremely durable, nonporous, heat resistant and dishwasher safe. The Kitchen Series boards really are the “go- to” board for all your cooking and chopping needs

- Dishwasher safe
-Heat resistant to 350*F/176*C
-Knife friendly
-Non-porous wood fibre
-Limited lifetime warranty

I have really loved using this board.  Not only does it perform well as a chopping board, but it also makes a great and attractive surface for me to lay out hot dishes on at the table, and I have to also add that this large one makes a great back drop for food photos. (Just sayin!)



The Kitchen Series Utensil Range has the look and feel of traditional wooden utensils, but has the added benefit of being fade, split and stain resistant. This is due to the innovative wood fibre composite that they are made from. The Kitchen Series utensils are gentle on pans and won’t harm non-stick surfaces whilst also being easy to clean and dishwasher safe. The utensil collection is available in two colours, Natural and Slate and includes three sizes of spoon, a sauté tool, paddle and angled turner.

- Dishwasher safe
-Heat resistant to 350*F/176*C
- Safe for non-stick pans
-Lifetime warranty

The utensils have also performed well.  At first I was a bit concerned that they might absorbe food flavours, colours, the way that traditional wooden spoons do, but that has not happened.  The sauté tool was a bit faded when I received it, due to the portion of it that had been covered with the label, but it has not taken on any colours or tints from anything I have used it with, tomatoes, tumeric, etc.  Nor have they taken on any smell from what I have used them to cook with either.  My pots and pans have remained scratch and scrape free.  Also the board has not taken on any smell from onions or garlic and its surface remains scratch free even after a month of daily use.

I was also a bit concerned that they might warp in the dish washer.  I mean wood, right?  This has also not happened and I have been using and dish washing them almost on a daily basis.  I have to add that I have a smaller, bar-sized board that I have been using for several years now and it has also performed well, never warping, scratching or taking on any smells.  I highly recommend these products.  You can purchase them at Borough Kitchen Cookshops.

The Kitchen Utensils can be purchased at Gill Wing Cook Shop on 190 Upper Street, Islington. London. N1 1RQ.


As most of you know these past few months I have been kept very busy testing recipes and writing for my new cookbook which will be published soon.  This is one of the recipes which I have developed for it and one which really give the cutting board a real work out, as everything in it was chopped fine!  I used my handy dandy spring loaded food chopper and it did not scratch the board at all.  The durability of these products is amazing!  And so is this tasty recipe.  A great way to use up the leftovers from a roast ham dinner! 



*Baked Ham Hash*
Serves 4

A delicious way to use up the leftovers from a baked ham as well as some leftover cooked potato.  Simple, easy, thrifty and very tasty! 

300g finely chopped cooked ham (2 cups)
1 large brown onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 large cooked potatoes, finely chopped
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
Black pepper to taste
120g grated strong cheddar cheese (1 cup sharp cheddar, grated) 

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter a shallow 1 litre (1 quart) baking dish.  Set aside. 

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter a shallow 1 litre (2 quart) baking dish. Set aside.

Mix the ham, onion, potatoes, worcestershiare sauce and black pepper in a bowl.  Spread in the buttered baking dish.  Scatter the grated cheese evenly over top.

Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes until heated through and golden brown.  Serve hot.
A tossed salad on the side goes very well!

Note - you could also serve this with either a fried or poached egg on top.


Many thanks to Eddingtons for sending me these nifty kitchen tools to try out.  Eddingtons are purveryors and suppliers of quality kitchen merchandise.  They pride themselves in finding fun, innovative and practical kitchen and housewares that are just that little bit different

4 comments

  1. I love when you receive products..they end up in the perfect hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie - I have had an Epicurean Chopping board since 2007. It has been in constant use since and although it is covered in fine knife marks it is still as good as new. A great product. They do a good range of sizes and ones with silicone corners to stop them slipping.
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica, so nice to have a confirmation from someone else about the quality of these boards! Thank you so much for sharing! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!