Cheesy Ham and Vegetable Rice

Tuesday 9 May 2017


I really love main dishes that can be cooked all in one pan, downsized for a smaller family and that are simple, yet delicious, using things I have in my cupboard.  I also love creating new ways to use my leftovers.  This tasty dish incoporates all of the above criteria.


Although the initial recipe is sized for 4 to 6 people (depending on appetites) it is also easily downsized to feed 2 or 3 by simply cutting all of the ingredients in half.


It all gets cooked in one pan, easy peasy and minimal clean up required.


I had leftover ham and vegetables that needed using . . .  they went together perfectly in this, or you can simply use a frozen vegetable mix.  Whichever is easiest for you and more convenient.


It goes together quickly and with minimum of fuss.  It almost reminds me of rice-aroni, in that you sautee the rice and some vermicelli in a bit of butter first.


 I miss rice-aroni.  I was especially fond of the spanish one, but then I am cuckoo for tomato anything and spanish flavours . . .


Cheese . . .  it has cheese.  I love anything with cheese and ham and vegetables and rice all go very well with cheese.


If you have all the ingredients assembled, it goes together in a flash and you can have it on the table in less than half an hour.  This is a plus for me and makes for a great weeknight dinner.


All you need on the side is a mixed salad and some crusty bread if you are so inclined and we usually are.  


*Cheesy Ham and Vegetable Rice*
Serves 4 - 6
 
This is simple and delicious.  I love it because it only dirties one pot. We both love it because it's very tasty! A bit of salad and some bread on the side and dinner is served! 

3 TBS butter
90g vermicelli noodles, broken into small pieces (1 cup)
210g long grain white rice (1 cup)
2 chicken boullion cubes
709ml boiling water
 300g frozen vegetable mix (2 cups)
225ml milk (1 cup)
240g grated strong cheddar cheese
1/2 pound cooked ham, cubed
salt and black pepper to taste
  




Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Once it begins to foam, add the noodles, rice and ham.  Cook, stirring often, over medium heat, until the noodles and rice begin to brown.  Take care not to burn it. Add the boiling water and boullion cubes.  Stir, and bring back to the boil, then reduce to a low simmer.  Lay the frozen vegetables on top.



Cover tightly and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.  At the nd of that time test the rice/noodles to see if they are cooked through and all of the water has been absorbed.. If not you can add another 120ml of boiling water and cook longer, until they are tender. Add the milk and cheese, stir through and heat to melt the cheese.  Taste and adjust season as desired. Serve immediately.


I really hope you will give this a go and that you enjoy it.  I have been known to buy a slab of ham just to cook this.  It is that tasty and something which my husband loves!  Bon Appetit!

8 comments

  1. You are a little wonder in the kitchen:)Many must learn from you Marie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Monique, I just like doing what I do. Cooking and of course eating, but perhaps the latter I like a little bit too much! ;-) xo

      Delete
  2. Love this, Marie! I also love Rice A Roni but the sodium is beyond belief. I'm going to try this. Even though it's just my husband and I now...we love leftovers!! :)

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most mixes are loaded with sodium Jane! They distort our tastebuds. I think you will like this! Xo

      Delete
  3. Just sending along a thank you for a recipe that is just what I needed (for the current left-overs in the fridge!!). PS: why do you say you miss Ricearoni? I googled it and it is available on Amazon and other sites.....................haven't thought about it in years!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, I did a search and found it on Amazon. Thanks! Expensive though! Yikes! Hope you enjoyed the recipe! xo

      Delete
  4. I made this for dinner last night and we loved it! It was so easy to do and we enjoyed the creamy, cheesy flavour. It was a bit like a rich, creamy risotto.

    We didn't have rice-aroni in Australia, but we did have something called Rice-A-Riso which must have beem similar. I've not seen anything like that over here either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy it was enjoyed Marie! I love your description of it being a rich, creamy risotto! Hope you have been enjoying some nice sunny weather! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!