Pork Chops & Mushroom Gravy

Friday 5 May 2017


Pork Chops & Mushroom Gravy

My husband is a real chop man.  I don't think he has ever met a chop, pork or otherwise, that he hasn't fallen in love with.  
 
I am not a real red meat lover (except for steak) but I do confess that every now and again I do enjoy a pork chops as well, but if I am going to eat one, I want it to be bone in, old fashioned, thick and with a bit of tender rib meat attached.  
 
I love, LOVE the rib meat! 

Pork Chops & Mushroom Gravy
 

If I am going to eat a pork chop, I want a nice sauce with it or some gravy.  The man likes gravy also.
 
Today I had some mushrooms I wanted to use as well, and so I decided to make a mushroom gravy. Mushroom gravy, from scratch and not from a can. You can't beat it!


From scratch, with nothing artificial or cream of soup added . . .  just pure ingredients.  Fresh onions, garlic and mushrooms . . .  
 
This really is a fabulous treat!


I also like to use wo mustards I favour a smooth Dijon and a grainy.
 
To that I add some thyme along with a touch of honey. Pork really loves honey doncha know, thyme too . . .


I browned the chops.  Did you know that slashing the fatty edge at intervals helps to keep the chops from curling up?  
 
Its true.  That's a  handy tip there, straight from this horse's mouth. I hate it when chops curl up and unless you slash the fatty edge.  They will do just that!

 Pork Chops & Mushroom Gravy


I sauteed the onions, garlic and mushrooms until tender.  I then added the honey and mustards, and herbs.
 
Finally I added the stock. The chops were simmered in this mixture until they were cooked through and tender  . . . 


Once they were tender, I took the chops out and placed them on a heated platter. You can lightly tent them with foil if you wish.
 
I whisked some heavy cream into the pan juices and the gravy was done. Rich and ready to be poured over those succulent and juicy chops.





*Pork Chops and Mushroom Gravy*
Serves 4
Tender pork chops served with a delicious gravy filled with flavour.  Mash goes very well! 

4 bone in old fashioned pork chops, 1/2 inch thick
fine sea salt, black pepper
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
1/2 pound of mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1/2 TBS grainy mustard
1/2 TBS Dijon mustard
1 tsp liquid honey
1/2 tsp thyme
240ml cup chicken stock (1 cup)
120ml heavy cream (1/2 cup)
Trim the fat on the chops to about 1/4 inch, saving the trimmings.  Slash the fat on the chops at 1/4 inch intervals.  Place the trimmings into a pan and heat them over medium heat to release the fat and melt them a bit.  Season the chops all over with salt and black pepper.   Brown the chops well on both sides over medium heat.  Remove to a plate and set aside.  Add the onions and mushrooms to the pan.  Cook and stir to brown lightly.  Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.  Add both mustards, honey, thyme and chicken stock.  Bring to the boil, then reduce to a low simmer.  Return the chops to the pan, turning them to coat in the pan juices.  Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until tender and cooked through.  Remove the chops to a serving platter.  Add the cream to the pan juices and whisk to combine.  Bring to the boil, then pour over the chops on the serving platter.  Serve immediately.

Pork Chops & Mushroom Gravy


The man really enjoys these with some mashed potatoes, but rice would work equally as well.  I also like to serve a green vegetable on the side. Today it was a mix of green and wax beans.  Delicious! 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 

 Follow my blog with Bloglovin

6 comments

  1. Looks delicious. The gravy is wonderful. Perfect way to eat a pork chop

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am big on mushroom sauces:)BIG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too
      Monique! I also think
      Pork Chops need a sauce or gravy! This one is very good. Xo

      Delete
  3. This recipe has me so excited to do something with the pork chops I bought the other day. I prefer the thick ones with the bone in as well...so flavorful. The gravy sounds wonderful, too.

    Thanks!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! I hope you try it and that you really enjoy it! I think that meat on the bone always tastes better! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!