Quiche In a Bun

Monday 8 May 2017


I love quiche, and yes, real men do love quiche also. I am always trying to think of new ways to amp up my old favourite quiche recipe.  There are crustless quiche, muffin tin quiche.  There is no end to the varities you can come up with.
 
Today I present Quiche in a Bun.  I don't know why I didn't think of this before.  I have brought you other things in a bun in the past.
 
Things like Crusty Lasagne Buns, and Crusty Chicken Pot Pie Buns . . . both of which were simple to make and quite delicious.  
 
Today . . .  its Quiche in a Bun!


Yes, Quiche in a bun . . .  one of your favourite savoury tarts, baked in a bun. No faffing about with pastry. 

No cutting, rolling. This is a really lazy way to do quiche.


Yes, I do have lazy days. Days when I really don't want to be faffing about with having to roll out pastry or the lining tart tins. 

Days when I just want to be able to mix, pour and bake.


Quiche in a bun fits the bill perfectly. This is the perfect recipe for a lazy day.
 
You quite simply beat together your eggs, cheese, some cream, spring onions and crisp pancetta and pour the mixture into a hollowed out bun and bake . . .


These are easy peasy and make a nice light and quick supper.  I made a salad to serve with them.  
 
I used Gruyere cheese, but you could use whatever is your favourite cheese.  The Gruyere went well with the pancetta.


These were quite simply delicious! You can use round crusty rolls or rectangular ones like I have done.

  You could even use soft rolls if that is all you have, or if your gnashers are a bit on the old side. All work well.


 
*Quiche in a Bun*
Makes 4 servings

Cheesy eggs, light and fluffy baked in crisp bread buns, almost like bread crusted quiches.  Delicious! 

100g pancetta, cooked until crisp and then finely chopped
4 medium crisp bread rolls
5 large free range eggs, beaten
85ml double cream (1/3 cup)
75g of gruyere cheese, grated (2 1/2 ounces)
plus 4 TBS to top
3 spring onions, thinly sliced (scallions)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
 

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Have ready a baking tray. 

Cut a wedge into the top of each bun and hollow it out somewhat, leaving a bread border all the way around, about 1/2 inch thick.  Place onto the baking tray. 

Beat together the eggs, cream, pancetta, spring onions and gruyere cheese to combine.  Season to taste with salt and black pepper, remembering the cheese and pancetta will be a bit salty.  Divide the egg mixture between the buns. Top each with a further TBS of cheese. 
 

Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and the eggs are set.  Serve with some salad leaves on the side for a brunch or light lunch, or even a light supper.


Quiche In a Bun


You can make as few or as many of these as you wish, but simply increasing or decreasing the amount of ingredients.  I think they are something your family will love and the leftovers (if you have any) go well in a packed lunch to be eaten out of hand.  Bon Appetit! 

Quiche In a Bun 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

5 comments

  1. Replies
    1. They are cute Monique, I agree and it is hard to overeat when its all in one tidy crusty bun! xo

      Delete
  2. Ingenious what a treat they look too, lovely for party finger food using smaller buns/rolls! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another of your very clever ideas! We had these for lunch and loved them. All those fabulous quiche flavours without the need to deal with pastry etc. I halved the recipe as there was just the two of us and served it with salad as you did. The pancetta gave it just enough flavour and saltiness to cut through the richness of the cheese. Our bakery sells these cute mini baguettes so I made 4 - a perfect amount for a decent lunch for us. They are so easy that I'll be making them often - I think they'd be great to accompany some tomato soup.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!