Kitchen Sink Cookies

Sunday 11 June 2017


I was craving cookies today.  I know  . . . not supposed to have them.  I usually have plain tea biscuit cookies and digestives in the house for those craving moments as they are the lesser of all evils, but today I wanted more than that and so I decided to bake some kitchen sink cookies because I also had some stuff that I wanted to use up, like smarties and such.  I know what you are thinking . . .  I don't see any smarties there.  You are right. No smarties there.



When I went to dig the smarties out of the cupboard I spied this mix of goodies that I had bought the last time I went shopping and I thought . . . this would be fabulous in these cookies.   With a mix of chocolate coated salted caramel bits, sultanas and tiny bits of dried apple . . .  it was calling to me. 


And so I decided to throw them in.  I also threw in a couple handfuls of rice crispies cereal for crunch, and some milk chocolate chocolate chips . . . 


They smelled really good when they were baking . . .  but then again, tell me a homemade cookie that doesn't! It doesn't exist! 


I confess I have created a monster.  A total monster.  So bad that I had three of them for breakfast this morning and I am eyeing them as I write this because they are calling out to me . . . every mouthful is buttery and sweet . . .  crisp edged, chewy centred and stogged full of lovely bits of all the things I love.  These are gorgeous! 


*Kitchen Sink Cookies*
Makes about 2 dozen
 
These are fabulous.  Crisp on the edges.  Soft and chewy in the middle and stogged full of whatever floats your boat! 

125g butter, softened (1/2 cup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g soft brown sugar (3/4 cup packed)
45g granulated sugar (1/4 cup)
1 large free range egg
175g plain flour (1 1/4 cups)
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Your favourite add ins: I used about 2 cups of a variety of goodies (rice crispies, caramel bits, chopped dried apple, sultanas,
milk chocolate chips. You could also
use crumbled potato chips, broken pretzels, cornflakes, muesli, dried cranberries, etc.)



Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Line two large baking sheets with baking paper.  Set aside. 


Cream the butter together with both sugars and the vanilla until light and creamy.  Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.  Stir this into the creamed mixture with a wooden spoon.  Stir in your favourite add ins.  Drop by heaped TBS onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving space in between for spreading. 


Bake for 12 to 13 minutes until golden brown around the edges and set.  Let sit on the baking sheets for several minutes before scooping out onto wire racks to finish cooling.  Store in an airtight container. 


Be prepared to totally love these.  Hmmm . . .  they are what I would consider dangerous!  Bon Appetit!

9 comments

  1. I would never have thought of adding rice crispies. What a great idea. My husband doesn't like nuts in anything and I really miss their crunchiness. These look very tasty and just the sort of thing we would like.

    By the way, would you happen to have a recipe for something like a copycat of Hobnobs? Not the kind with chocolate on the bottom, just the plain. They are a bit like an oatmeal cookie but so much better! Thanks a lot for your great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther, you can add whatever cereal you want to add. I had rice crispies so I added them and it worked out very well. They are very moreish! I do have a recipe for Hobnobs. Here is the link to it: https://theenglishkitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/homemade-hobnobs-bigger-better-buttery.html
      Enjoy! xo

      Delete
    2. Esther, Marie's hob nob recipe is the best, I make them regularly for my hubby :-)

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much for saying so Julie! You made my day! xo

      Delete
  2. The name says it all...I try to avoid recipes like this and having anything so yummy in the house. Still...I'll have a go at these. Not sure if I can find all of the ingredients here but I'll try. Thanks, Marie!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great things about these Jane, is that with the exception of the basic cookie batter, you can throw in whatever strikes your fancy. These were particularly good because of the apple and caramel bits, almost like a candy apple. But seriously use whatever you want in them! Also it only makes two dozen, so they aren't around long enough to tempt you too much. We had two elders stop by last night and they easily polised off half of them! xo

      Delete
  3. They look great:) Love cookies..all the time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are really good Monique. If I were you with all those grand babies I would double it! Xo

      Delete
  4. These cookies look really yummy Marie!
    My Aunt Mary use to make a cookie with rice krispies in them too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!