Tartiflette Toastie

Monday 19 June 2017

Tartiflette Toastie

I have another recipe to share with you this morning from Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall, of the River Cottage Fame.  

I love his recipes almost as much as I love Nigel Slater's.  With him, the food is also the star and that is the kind of food and cookery I like to practice and eat!

Tartiflette Toastie

Unpretentious and unassuming, simple and wholesome, and so, so delicious.  When I saw this recipe I thought to myself what a delicious take on the French favourite Tartiflette.

Tartiflette is a traditional dish from the savoy region of the French Alps.

 Its a dish I quite like, with potatoes, bacon, cheese . . . cream.  Rich and comforting.  When I saw Hugh's recipe for a Tartiflette Toastie, I knew it was something I wanted to try.  

Why not combine one of my favourite potato dishes with the concept of a toastie!

Tartiflette Toastie

Oh, I so love a good toastie. Who doesn't??? 

Toasted bread topped with your favourite indulgences and cheese and then toasted under the grill until everything melds deliciously together.  Yum!! How much better can you get???

Tartiflette Toastie

I used reblochon cheese on mine, because that is what I had and it has great melting properties.  It is the cheese we usually use when we do raclette, which comes from the same region of France if I am not mistaken, and please forgive me if I am. 

Oh I do so love a good raclette supper.  A wonderful way to enjoy some simple foods.

Tartiflette Toastie

You don't have to use that kind of cheese.  Hugh says you can even use cheddar which I am thinking would be pretty scrumdiddlyumptious as well!  

Just so long as it is a cheese with lots of flavour and with great melting properties!

Tartiflette Toastie

This is a toastie you will find yourself cooking extra potatoes for, I guarantee.  What a novel use of a few bits of leftovers and odds and sodds . . .


*Tartiflette Toastie*
Serves 1

Hearty lunch fare inspired by a recipe from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.  Have been eyeing this recipe up for years.  It combines several of my favourite things. Potatoes, bacon, cheese and crusty bread! 

1 TBS rapeseed oil
2 TBS bacon lardons
1 large cold cooked potato, peeled and thickly sliced
(Boiled, roasted, baked, any work)
1 -2 TBS double cream or creme fraiche
1 large thick slice of bread
3 to 4 thick slices of a semi soft or semi hard cheese with
good melting properties (I used reblochon)
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
salad to serve, if desired 

Heat the oil in a medium non-stick skillet.  Add the bacon to the pan and brown all over.  Add the potato slices and fry until they begin to crisp on the edges and turn golden grown.. Stir in the creme fraiche or cream, and heat through. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and black pepper. 

Toast the bread.  Pile the potato mixture on top and then lay the cheese over top of the potatoes.  Pop under a hot grill until the cheese has melted and is bubbling.  Serve immediately and enjoy!


Tartiflette Toastie

The recipe is geared to one person, but is very easily adapted to feed more people.  Just multiply the ingredients according to however many you want to feed or indulge.  Bon Appetit! 

Tartiflette Toastie 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at mariealicejoan at aol dot com. 





4 comments

  1. I am not familiar with him..thanks Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's great Monique! Has his own cooking show also called River Cottage! Xo

      Delete
  2. Oh Yum! Lots of my favorite things...potatoes, bacon, bread, cream & cheese. Heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Katwyn! Its quite delicious and very filling! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!