Dark & Delicious Chocolate Cake

Thursday 19 October 2017


This chocolate cake is "The" chocolate cakes to end all chocolate cakes.  I always struggle with showing my chocolate bakes in a positive light.  They are incredibly difficult to photograph!  This is especially disappointing when you know what you have baked is incredibly moist and delicious!

  
How do other people cope with the "Chocolate" bake?  I would love to hear any suggestions you might have that would help me to take better photos.  But then again . . . 



Its all about how it tastes . . .  not how it looks and this tastes incredible. 



This has been my go-to chocolate cake for years now.  I can't remember where the original recipe came from.  I strongly suspect the back of a tin of cocoa powder . . . 



It is dense . . .  and moist . . .  and very chocolatey.  If anything it tastes even better the day after you bake it . . .  when all of that chocolate ripens and gets ooey scrummy, delish.


*Dark & Delicious Chocolate Cake*
Serves 12


Moist, dark and really delicious.  The chocolate snacking cake to end all chocolate snacking cakes! 

380g granulated sugar (2 cups)
245g plain flour (1 3/4 cup)
85g cocoa powder (3/4 cup) (Not drinking chocolate)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1 tsp salt
2 large free range eggs
240ml milk (1 cup)
2 tsp vanilla
120ml vegetable oil (1/2 cup)
240ml boiling hot coffee 

For the frosting:
6 TBS butter
350g icing sugar (2 2/3 cups)
55g cocoa powder (1/2 cup) (Not drinking chocolate)
80ml milk (1/3 cup)
1 tsp vanilla


Preheat the oven to 180*c/ 350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter a 9 by 13 inch baking tin and lightly dust with flour, shaking out any excess.  Set aside. 


Whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, soda, and salt.  Add the eggs, milk, vanilla and vegetable oil.  Beat with an electric whisk for 2 minutes on medium speed, stopping to scrape up the sides and bottom.  Beat in the hot coffee. The mixture will be very thin. 


Pour into the prepared pan.  Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the top springs back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Allow to cool completely in the tin, placed on a wire rack. 


Beat the butter for the frosting until fluffy.  Sift together the cocoa powder and the icing sugar.  Beat into the butter, alternately with the milk and vanilla until smooth and of spreading consistency. (You may need additional milk or sugar.  Use your own judgement)  Cut into squares to serve. 


Every time I bake this I am incredibly grateful that I have neighbors and friends that don't mind me gifting them with it.  Todd is not a fan of chocolate cake at all, and I am not supposed to be eating it at all . . .  but every now and then a gal just has to do what a gal has to do.  When the kids were growing up it was never around long enough to be a problem!  You could also bake it in layers if you wanted to, just reduce the baking time to about 25 to 30 minutes if you do.  Bon Appetit!


10 comments

  1. This is a very similar recipe to one I make. Absolutely the best. I'll be trying out yours today. For the grandchildren of course. Ahummm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But of course Linda! Hope they enjoy it! ;-) xo

      Delete
  2. :) Sounds like a keeper..I have a few..will check to compare..afters yrs of baking..you absolutely know how that goes..:) So many recipes so little time..

    ;)
    Thank you for everyting you share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure Monique! So many recipes, so little time! Xo

      Delete
  3. I always think your photos look so good Marie as they are.
    Thankyou for this recipe as I have it on my little radar. I’ve seen coffee used a few times in chocolate cakes now.
    I’ll let you know how I go when I bake it over the next week or so.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kylie! I hope you like the cake! Xo

      Delete
  4. Well, you know I had to make this today. I'm not fond of chocolate, but The Swede vacuums up any chocolate in the vicinity. The cake is lovely - very moist and tasty. It's a real keeper.

    As there are just the two of us, I generally slice up a cake and freeze the individual slices. As this has icing, I freeze it first on a baking paper lined tray, then wrap each slice in glad wrap. The cake keeps fresh and I just take out what we need for afternoon tea.

    I love your photos and I think these ones are fine. They show exactly what I'd want to see - a rich cake that is calling my name :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much Marie! You are very kind. I am so happy that you baked it and enjoyed it! Even despite not being overly fond of chocolate cakes! Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know! I have had to give it away as there was not room in the freezer and I couldn't face eating it all on my own! xo

      Delete
  5. I just asked my Dad last week, what kind of cake he wants for his birthday that's coming up soon. He told me a rich dark chocolate cake with alot of chocolate flavor. My sister made him a cake that tasted gummy even though it was moist. I didn't like it either. Lol.
    This cake will be perfect for him. It looks chocolatey and moist with a yummy frosting. He is going to love this cake Marie!

    Big hugs and love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he does Jan. For a Birthday Cake I would cook it in two 8 inch round layer tins and double the frosting recipe!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!