No Fail Quiche

Thursday 12 October 2017



Oh, I am a real pastry lover.  I swear you could put anything in a crust and I would be all over it like a rash. I come by that love honestly.  Everyone in my family is the same.  Crust crazy!



Since being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes several years ago however, I have been trying my hardest to avoid things like pastry. Oh, I do cook them for Todd, and trust me, it is really hard to have things like that in the house.  I have become an expert at cutting the quantities of recipes down so that I only make a few of most things. That way Todd doesn't have to suffer and I don't have to be overly tempted.  Its a fine line!


This No Fail Quiche makes the perfect quick supper dish, and if you use whole wheat self raising flour and low fat cheese and milk, is quite diabetic friendly.  You can load it with lots of vegetables or just a few vegetables.  You can use ham instead of bacon . . .


You can raid your fridge and get rid of all the bits and bobs that are laying about waiting to get used up.  Peppers, sweet corn, broccoli, cauliflower, cooked carrots, sprouts, etc. Just throw in whatever you have, making sure of course that the flavours go together.


Today I used mushrooms, onion, two rashers of bacon, some romanesco cauliflower and grainy mustard along with low fat cheddar and milk.  You can use chutney or pesto instead of the mustard. It is a very forgiving recipe, that turns out perfectly every time I make it.  A bit of salad on the side and dinner is served!  Leftovers heat up very nicely the next day also.



*No Fail Quiche*
Serves 4 
 
 
This simple entree just cannot fail.  Its a great opportunity to use up bits and bobs in the refrigerator along with being quick and easy to make. Its a very forgiving recipe. 

1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
a handful of sliced brown mushrooms
2 rashers streaky bacon, chopped (or an equivalent of ham)
3 large free range eggs
70g self raising flour (1/2 cup)
120g strong cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
1 TBS olive oil
1 TBS grainy mustard (or pesto, or chutney)
300ml milk (1 1/4 cups)
2 TBS chopped fresh parsley
salt and black pepper to taste
1 cup of additional vegetables (cooked corn, chopped peppers, cooked broccoli or cauliflower sliced, etc.)
A few TBS additional cheese to finish



Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F gas mark 4.  Spray a 9 inch deep round quiche dish with some cooking spray and place into the oven while you mix up the filling. 


Put a few drops of oil in a skillet and add the onion, mushrooms and bacon. (peppers if you are using them)  Cook gently for a few minutes until softened. (You can also use low fat cooking spray)


Place the eggs, flour and milk into a food processor and blitz to combine. (alternately you can whisk together by hand)  Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Add the mustard (or pesto and chutney), oil, cheese and parsley.  Mix together well. Stir in the onion/mushroom mixture.  Remove the quick dish from the oven and pour this mixture into it.   Scatter any additional vegetables over top.  Return to the oven and bake  for 45 minutes until puffed, golden brown and set.  Remove from the oven. Scatter  few extra tablespoons of cheese over top.  Let stand to melt the cheese.  Cut into wedges to serve.


A small tin of boneless skinless salmon, along with cooked broccoli and basil pesto are also a magnificent combination.  You can really let your imagination go wild with this.  Chopped ham, sweet corn and a red onion chutney are also awfully good. You really cannot fail! Bon Appetit!

6 comments

  1. We are having quiche for lunch..this looks like a great one:)Good for you and your hard work re your diabetes:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH it must be a common theme this week Monique! I so love a crust, but I am trying hard to be good! xo

      Delete
  2. OhMyGosh! This looks SO good! I adore a good quiche, just made one this week from last of the tomatoes, cheese, milk and a store bought crust - gasp! Hey, I'm all over store bought crust like white on rice. Having recently moved, my kitchen is still in boxes and that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Thistle Cove! I wish I could have crust, but alas . . . just this, which is almost as good. We had the leftovers today. Yum!

      Delete
  3. Oh yum. I love recipes where you can use veggies you have in the fridge. Our daughter doesn’t like cheese although if I limit the amounts she sometimes doesn’t notice. I think this would work with half a cup of cheese. Is it purely for the flavour or does it help hold it together too? Well done on your commitment to your health.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cheese is mostly for flavour Kylie! Maybe you could use a mix, maybe 1/2 cup cheddar and 1TBS Parmesan? I try to be comitt d, but it’s not easy! I am married to the stick man that can eat whatever he wants! Xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!