Oaty Apple Crumble 4 One

Sunday 15 October 2017



 Being a type 2 Diabetic and having a husband who can eat whatever he wants without gaining an ounce.  We are a bit like Jack Sprat and his wife I suppose.  Todd actually has a difficult time keeping weight on and I have a difficult time keeping weight off.  I am always hungry and he rarely feels hungry at all. Total opposites.  The challenge for me is making sure that he gets enough calories and treats to keep him happy and making sure that I don't put weight on in the process!


When it comes to desserts, I try to downsize them as much as possible.  This one today would not be too bad for me actually as it is not really high in sugar and if I used whole wheat flour, that would be better, but today it is all about creating a delicious dessert for my honey bun that he can enjoy all to himself! 


I find it quite easily actually to cut recipes in half or quarters.  For the most part they turn out very well for me, and the Oaty Apple Crumble for One is the perfect example of just such a recipe!


It takes only one apple  . . .  which I peel, core and chop and then mix with a blend of a tiny bit of sugar and plenty of spice.  Cinnamon, ground cardamom and ground cloves.  Just a touch of cloves because Todd loves them.  The flavour of clove is very strong though so be quite judicious if you add them.


The topping is buttery, sweet and oaty. I love the addition of oats in crumble toppings. They impart a wholesome nutty flavour and I love the extra texture they give.


This is the perfect dessert for just one.  You can top it with whatever floats your boat . . . a small scoop of vanilla ice cream, perhaps some whipped cream, or pouring cream  . . . 


Or like Todd with some warm custard.  He is a custard fiend.  He loves it with all his desserts.  He is so very British in that love!  I think Brits are born with custard in their veins.  Myself,  I prefer vanilla ice cream, but then again what is ice cream, but  . . .  frozen custard!


*Apple Crumble for One*
Serves 1

The perfect dessert for one person.  Todd loves this and I don't have to worry about being overly tempted as there is just enough for him to enjoy and no more. 

1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
1 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
pinch each salt and cloves (optional, but Todd likes them) 

For the Topping:
2 TBS soft light brown sugar, packed
1 TBS old fahioned oatmeal
2 tsp plain flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch salt
1 TBS butter



Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Have ready a small lightly buttered ramekin or other oven dish small enough to hold just one serving.  


Toss the apples together with the sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, salt and cloves.  Put into the ramekin. 


Rub together the topping ingredients until crumbly and sprinkle evenly over top of the apples. 


Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the apples are softened and the topping is crisp.  Serve warm with your favourite topping. (Ice Cream, Custard, Whipped Cream, pouring cream, etc.) 



You can also easily double this to feed two people.  Just saying . . .  Bon Appetit! 



6 comments

  1. Definitely going to make Apple Crumble this way from now on!

    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crumbles are a weakness..even date squares..w/ are on my counter as I type..Jacques is reed thin too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really isn't fair Monique! lol xo

      PS - I adore Date Squares. I have not made any in a while because of that. I can't leave them alone!

      Delete
  3. Nom, nom, nom. The crumble looks luscious. I love the idea of making this for one x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works well for us in this house Charlene! Less temptation for me! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!