Almond Cake

Friday 19 January 2018




I've had enough Christmas Cake.  I can't really eat Christmas Cake anyways, except for a tiny bite now and then . . .  


Today I wanted cake.   I love almonds and so I decided to make my favourite Almond Cake.







This is a basic every day cake chock full of lovely almond flavours . . .  moist, dense and buttery . . .







The batter is an almost equal mix of self raising flour and ground almonds (almond meal) along with the flavors of both vanilla and almond extracts.








More almond flavour, and a lovely crunch, comes from the sprinkling of coarsely chopped almonds which you sprinkle on top of the batter prior to baking . . .







The cake is so moist and delicious that no icing or frosting is needed, but a drizzle of dark chocolate  really sets it off perfectly.  


I drizzled it back and forth in one direction first and then did it again in the other direction. 







I thought it looked really, really nice.  Very tempting . . .







I use these cake tin liners, something like muffin or cupcake liners, except they are the size of a cake tin.  They work wonderfully, without the trouble of having to measure and cut.  



I have them in three sizes.  8-inch 9 inch and then loaf tin sized.  They do leave lines on the sides of the cake, but for a cake like this, lines down the side don't really matter that much.







In fact I think they add to the attractiveness of it and actually provide lovely little crevices to grab any icing, or chocolate drizzle or whatever happens to float down the sides . . .







Mmmm . . .  next to a Victoria Sponge, this is my absolute favourite cake.  Truly.









*Almond Cake*
 one 8-inch round cake
cuts into 8 slices 


 
A great every day cake, moist and dense with lots of almond flavour. 

225g butter (1 cup) softened
225g caster sugar (1 cup plus 3 TBS)
3 large free range eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
140g self raising flour (1 cup)
175g ground almonds (2 cups)
50g whole blanched almonds, coarsely chopped (scant 1/3 cup)
25g dark chcocolate (1 ounce)








Preheat the oven to 150*C/300*F/ gas mark 2.   Butter an 8 inch round deep cake tin and line with baking paper. 


Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat together the eggs and extracts.  Gradually beat this into the butter/sugar mixture.  Sift the flour into the bowl.  Stir into the batter along with the ground almonds.  Mix until smooth.  Spoon into the prepared cake tin, smoothing the top.  Scatter the chopped almonds on top. 


Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes until golden, well risen and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.  Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before lifting out onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely. 


Break up the chocolate and melt in a glass bowl over gently simmering water, until smooth and free of lumps.  Drizzle over top of the cooled cake and allow to set before cutting into slices to serve.









This cake would be perfectly happy on any tea table.  I think you are going to love this one.  I really do.  Its delicious.  Its simple.  Its just a great, great all-rounder!  Bon Appetit! 




18 comments

  1. Just printed it off to make for the weekend when family come.

    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they are in for a real treat Julie! yay! xo

      Delete
  2. Mmmmmm......that looks so good!!! Just reading your description had my stomach growling. If that's not a cry for a piece of cake I don't know what is. I'm going to make this! Thanks Marie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are in for a real treat Jeannine! This is a keeper and I know you will enjoy it! xo

      Delete
  3. Right up my alley! I adore anything almond. Thanks Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ar going to really love this Raquel! Its fabulous! xo

      Delete
  4. this looks and sounds amazing,, I love Christmas fruit cake and ate too much of it lol,,I couldn't live without cake, I love cake more than cookies, my life would be sad with no cake lol,,thats why I have a chubby bottom!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you tell us about the cake liners you used? I am not familiar with them. I love almonds and a 'plain cake'. I will make the almond cake this week, when my mom comes for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon. The liners I used came from Lakeland. Here is a link to the page: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/5551/50-Round-Cake-Tin-Baking-Parchment-Paper-Liners-20cm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm-2Ovc3m2AIVQrHtCh0kLgM-EAQYAiABEgI7FPD_BwE&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!246675758579!!!g!42887664744!&ef_id=WLksgQAAAJEk8ymM:20180120130455:s

      Your mum is going to love this cake and I think you will too! xo

      Delete
  6. I was curious about the cake liners too but need to find a source in the US. Recipe looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake is gorgeous. You can use ordinary baking paper cut to size, but these cake tin liners really make it simple!

      Delete
  7. That looks scrumptious -- and beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie. It is one of my favourite cakes! xo

      Delete
  8. Well this cake is a winner..from the tasty batter to the tasty finished product. I dusted w icing sugar as i didnt have any chocolate. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased it was enjoyed Karen. Icing sugar dusted on top would be perfect. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!