A Delicious Vegetable Curry

Wednesday 4 April 2018


My husband and I recently decided that we are going to eat a more plant based diet, having fish or chicken only occasionally.  I have been experiencing some real digestive problems over these past few months, and we really feel inspired to incorporate some healthier eating principles into our life style.  I am also going to be experimenting with fermenting. We will see how that goes!  I admit I am a bit terrified of poisoning myself, so I am somewhat hesitant, so if any of you has any advice along those lines to share, I would be most grateful.  I still do have meat to use up in the freezer so there will be occasional forays into that area until it is all gone, and I will be the first to admit that I don't think Christmas would be Christmas without a roast turkey for me, and I do adore roast chicken.


Today I cooked us a delicious vegetable curry for our dinner, just using what I had in the refrigerator and larder.  It turned out beautiful!  I incorporated cauliflower, sweet potatoes, onions, fresh tomatoes, and courgettes (zucchini) along with some frozen peas and fresh spinach.


I made good use of some fresh ginger, plenty of fresh garlic and a variety of spices to bring plenty of flavour into the mix.


There is ground coriander, ground cumin, turmeric for colour, cayenne, cinnamon, salt and pepper and a touch of tomato paste.


Very fragrant and very delicious.  I also used a mix of vegetable broth and a creamy coconut milk for  a lovey richness that we both enjoyed very much.


I served it simply, in heated bowls, with some cooked brown rice (protein there!) and a dish of a good Indian chutney on the side.  Neither one of us missed the meat.  This was probably one of the most delicious curries I have ever made.


*A Delicious Vegetable Curry*
Serves 4
 
Who says Vegetarian, plant based food, has to be boring?  This delicious curry is anything but boring!  Healthy, delicious, easy and filled with flavour! 

2 TBS olive oil
1 large brown onion, peeled and diced
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
1 TBS fresh finely grated gingerroot
1 TBS ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (Or to taste)
1 TBS tomato puree (tomato paste)
480ml vegetable broth (2 cups)
240ml creamy coconut milk (1 cup)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
fine sea salt and ground black pepper to taste 

For the vegetables:
1  head of cauliflower, trimmed and broken into florets (about 4 cups)
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 medium courgette, washed and cut into cubes (zucchini)
2 medium tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and coarsely chopped
150g frozen peas (1 cup)
3 large handfuls of  fresh baby spinach, picked over and coarse stems discarded
the juice and zest of one lime 

To serve:
cooked brown basamati rice
your favourite Indian chutney



Heat the oil in a large saucepan.  Add the onions.  Cook, stirring, until golden brown.  Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the coriander, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and ground cumin.  Cook and stir for about 30 seconds then stir inthe tomato paste, stirring it in completely to incorporate.  Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, cinnamon, salt and black pepper to taste. (About 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper)  Bring to the boil, then reduce to a low simmer and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.   


Add the cauliflower, sweet potatoes, courgette and chopped tomatoes.  Bring back to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.  Stir in the frozen peas and cook for about 3 minutes.  Add the spinach one handful at a time, stirring it in to wilt the spinach.  Stir in the lime juice and zest.  Taste and adjust seasoning as required.  Serve immediately. 


Note - Don't cook for too long when you add the spinach. You will want to maintain the green colour, so only a couple of minutes is sufficient. You only want to wilt the spinach.  



There are plenty of leftovers for us to heat up and enjoy tomorrow as well.  I might try making my own Naan or Chapati to go along with it.  Now that would be fun I think!  I hope you will give this a go.  Vegetarian food need not ever be boring and I am on a quest to prove that fact to Todd!  Bon Appetit! 



6 comments

  1. Sounds incredible! I have all the spices so I'm going to give it a go this week!

    BTW, did you get an email from me?

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in for a treat Jane! I hope you like it. No, I didn't, perhaps it went in my spam folder? xo

      Delete
  2. This sounds lovely and looks so colourful and inviting. I will do this very soon, maybe adding some chickpeas as well. We eat a lot of vegetarian food and you are quite right - it does not have to be boring at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. I think you will really enjoy this. Its very tasty! Hope you had a nice Easter! xo

      Delete
  3. It looks and smells fantastic!:) We eat more and more veggies.I can skip meat..Jacques can't:) He needs the protein...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Todd does like meat and potatoes as well, but he is usually pretty happy with what I make so long as it’s not pasta! Lol xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!