Breakfast Spuds

Friday 27 April 2018


There is no denying it.  Potatoes are my favourite vegetable, which is a darned shame really because they are carbs which get converted directly into sugar. As a diabetic, I need to try to limit these types of carbs . . .  oddly enough sweet  and new potatoes are not as bad.  Go figure!  I do eat them . . .  regular potatoes that is, but in limited quantities.  Recipes such as these breakfast potatoes are pretty not as bad for you because it combines the potatoes with other vegetables, so you are not getting quite as many of the carbs . . .


I like to use red skinned potatoes.  (Rooster is what I used today) They have a nice and yellow flesh.  Along with them I use red onion, along with both red and green bell peppers. 


This makes for a beautifully coloured combination, with lots of texture and a variety of flavours . . .I could just look at this photo for hours, with all of the different colours . . . look at the lovely red rings in the onions . . . such beautiful  patterns.  The artist in me thrills at such a thing  . . .



The vegetables are tossed together with a mix of butter and olive oil, some spices and herbs, and then are spread out onto a large rimmed baking sheet.


You want to leave plenty of space between them, so that the hot air in the oven can circulate around them evenly.  This way they actually roast rather than stew.  When you are using a vegetable with lots of water in it, like peppers, this is a real hazard.  So really spread them out. 


Today I used some thyme and marjoram . . . my mother would have used oregano. She discovered oregano back when I was in my last year of highschool.  Up to that point, salt and pepper were what she used, with the exception of poultry seasoning when she was cooking our thanksgiving dinner. My father was not fond of spicy things or anything different.  Oregano was really a bit adventurous for her! I love herbs and I use them often, and I use a variety. No need to use fresh here, dried work perfectly fine..


Along with the thyme and marjoram, I used fresh garlic, finely minced of course  . . . and some seasoning salt, cayenne pepper and a mix of kosher salt and black pepper.  Altogether a most brilliantly delicious combination.  I don't overdo the cayenne . . .  it can be super hot.


If you wanted a TexMex flair, you could use oregano, dried cumin and dried coriander . . . . potatoes done that way would be lovely wrapped in a warm tortilla with some cheese and egg, kind of like a breakfast burrito.  YUM! 


You needn't only keep these delicious potatoes for breakfast occasions.  They also make a great light supper.  That is how we enjoyed them today, along with some scrambled eggs and whole wheat toast.  I think we have eggs for supper in one way or another at least once a week.  In fact we are more likely to have them for supper than we are for breakfast! 




*Breakfast Spuds*
Serves 4

You don't have to serve these for breakfast if you don't want to, they also make a great side dish for supper.  Heck, they're great anytime of the day! 

2 1/2 pounds rooster potatoes (red skinned potatoes)
1 medium red onion, peeled and cut into chunks
1 each green and red sweet bell pepper, seeded, trimmed and coarsely chopped
2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS butter, melted
1/2 tsp dried herbs as desired (thyme, marjoram, oregano, etc.)
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
pinch cayenne pepper
fine sea salt and black pepper to taste



Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7. Have ready a large rimmed baking sheet.Set aside.

Wash the potatoes really well and then cut into large cubes. Place into a bowl along with the onion and peppers. Add the minced garlic, olive oil, melted butter, any herbs you are using and the seasonings. Toss together well. 

Pour onto the baking sheet and spread out into a single layer. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender and golden brown, stirring every 5 minutes.Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Serve immediately.  

Note - make sure you don't crowd the pan.  If they are packed too closely together they won't brown properly. Also I like to line the baking sheet with some baking paper, which keeps them from sticking.


Whether you make these for breakfast, or brunch or a light supper, your family is in for a real taste treat.  I guarantee they will really love them.  Simple to make and delicious!  Bon Appetit!


6 comments

  1. You're looking at what we eat so ften as our veg didh:) Roasted..always different..but red onion and peps a must:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so darned good Monique! I could eat a plate of this and nothing else! xo

      Delete
  2. I love potatoes! And always good roasted with veggies!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!