Gluten Free Brownies

Saturday 7 April 2018


The other day I was in the shops and I thought I would buy a loaf of gluten free bread to try it out.  I have one word to say. BLECCH.  

It was a very popular name brand, and it did have a nice texture and it looked like real bread, albeit a much smaller loaf, and very expensive I might add. £3 for a seeded loaf.  

It didn't taste bad. It just left a pasty kind of coating in my mouth.  I couldn't bring myself to eat any more of it.  I just couldn't.  I will have to try making my own.   

If these delicious brownies are any example of how good homemade gluten free baking can be, then we are in for a treat. I need to do some research first on bread.


I am not sure why it is so difficult to photograph chocolate things. They never come out looking at tasty as they really are.  

If you have any hints or tips on that, I would really appreciate!



These gluten free chocolate brownies are fabulous. Dense.  Fudgy and chocolatey!  

I dusted them lightly with some icing sugar to make them look better.  Not sure if it worked, lol



They really are nice . . .  with a fudgy, dense and rich chocolate crumb . . .


I wish I could just give you one to try to you could taste test for yourself, I am that sure you would love them.  Especially if you love Brownies.  

I baked these for a friend of mine in hospital who is wheat and dairy free, and she loved them.  Of course I had to try them before I gave them to her.  

I would never give anyone anything I hadn't tasted myself and didn't KNOW tasted great!



They are composed of butter, ground almonds, cocoa powder and copious amounts of dark chocolate, with some eggs, brown sugar and flavourings . . .


Vanilla and orange flavourings  . . .  think dark chocolate orange here.  

If you are not fond of chocolate and orange together, you can simply leave out the orange flavouring, and add a touch more vanilla.


This was excellent served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.  

I dare say these would make an excellent dessert choice if you knew that you were having gluten intolerant people over for dinner.



*Gluten Free Brownies*
Makes 6 - 8 servings
 
Dense, rich and gluten free.  Great as snacks, with your morning cuppa or as a dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. 

100g unsalted butter (1/2 cup less 1 TBS)
150g dark chocolate (5 1/2 ounces)
30g cocoa powder, sifted (1/3 cup)
100g ground almonds (1 cup)
1 tsp gluten free baking powder
3 large free range eggs
200g dark soft brown sugar (1 cup, packed)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp orange extract (optional)


Preheat the oven to 160*C/325*F/ gas mark 2.  Base line an 8 by 12 inch baking tin with baking paper.  Set aside. 


Bring a pot of water to a simmer on the stove.  Using a bowl that will sit comfortably on top without the bottom touching the water, put the butter and chocolate into the bowl and place over the simmering water. Stir until it is melted and amalgamated.  Set aside to cool slightly. 


Beat together the eggs, brown sugar, vanilla and orange extracts. (If using) 


Whisk together the cocoa powder, almonds and baking powder.  Make a well in the centre.  Pour over the melted chocolate/butter mixture and the egg mixture.  Stir togther until well combined, working from the centre.  Pour into the prepared baking tin. 


Bake for 25 minutes until set all over and beginning to pull away from the edges of the pan.  For gooey brownies, take them out a bit sooner.  For firm brownies leave in the oven a bit longer.  Allow to cool completely in the pan.  Tip out onto a board and carefully peel off the paper.  Cut into squares or bars as desired.  Store in an airtight container. 



Oh boy  . . .  was this ever good!  Amazing even.  I had it slightly warm with some Scottish ice cream.  I think you will enjoy, even if you aren't gluten free.  Bon appetit! 


Gluten Free Brownies 
This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan@aol.com 



5 comments

  1. All the ings are good..so what's nt to love for choco lovers? Nice of you to share as always..so ..we went through a gluten- free stage here and if you have a bread machine..I found one that is delsih:) Let me know:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a bread machine Monique. Would love to try your recipe. This one I tried was absolutely horrible! Thanks! xo

      Delete
  2. I saw these shared on your Facebook page and will be trying them for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!