Herb Marinated Chicken Breasts

Friday 13 April 2018


When we recently made our decision to eat mainly a plant based diet, we decided at the outset that we would still each chicken occasionally as well as fish. Basically it is red meat that we have decided to stop eating, at least for the time being. 

When I do buy chicken I always buy free range organic, and corn fed if possible.  I can do that as there are only two of us.  Had I a larger family I might not be able to afford to do that.  

I totally understand the difficulties of feeding a large family on a limited budget, having raised five children myself. You can't always afford to do things according to your conscience.


Chicken breasts are one of those meats that it is really easy to over cook, and there is nothing more unpalatable or blah than an overcooked, dried out chicken breast.  

There is no saving it really.And when you are using expensive chicken breast meat you want to make sure you don't over cook it and dry it out for sure. 

I have a chicken marinade that I like to use which gives the chicken a really nice flavour. Its filled with lots of lovely chopped herbs, lemon and other seasonings that results in a well flavoured juicy piece of chicken.  

I often marinade chicken breasts and then cook them on my electric grill to have in the refrigerator for use in salads and sandwiches.



I love salad myself, and could be quite happy with just this.  Todd, he-man, likes a potato with his and could happily forego the salad altogether, which is okay. 

I can just bake him a potato in the microwave, and cook him some peas and he is a happy camper.  Myself, I am thinking that with the salad I am getting the better deal!!


To me there is nothing nicer than a beautiful piece of perfectly cooked moist chicken, sliced and laid out on top of a salad filled with lots of lovely vegetables.  

That is what makes me happy.  On this particular day I created a delicious spiced creamy dressing to have with my chicken and salad.  I was in chicken salad heaven.


*Herb Marinated Chicken Breasts*
Serves 6

A delicious marinade that ensures tender chicken breasts every time.  I often use this recipe to create grilled chicken for Salads.  

3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
2 TBS chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
2 TBS chopped fresh basil leaves
2 TBS chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 TBS chopped fresh rosemary
the finely grated zest of one lemon
the juice of half a lemon
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
110 ml of olive oil (1/2 cup)
2 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts  

Combine all the herbs, garlic, lemon juice and zest, salt, pepper and oil in a large zip lock bag.   Add the chicken breasts and turn them in it to coat, massaging lightly.  Place into the refrigerator and chill from half an hour to an hour and a half.  Obviously the longer you marinate them, the more flavours they will absorb. 

After marinating remove the chicken from the fridge.   Remove from the bag and dispose of the marinade.   Heat the grill or broiler and cook the chicken breasts for 6 to 7 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside, and the juices run clear.    

For the dressing on the salad I made a lovely creamy spiced dressing, which goes very well on chicken salads, or a hearty cobb salad, etc. 


*Creamy Spiced Salad Dressing* 
Makes about 2 cups
Printable Recipe


This is a delicious dressing that I often use for salads that I am using meats or chicken in. It's spicy and delicious.

220g of good quality mayonnaise (1 cup)
80ml of milk (1/3 cup)
80mof buttermilk (1/3 cup)
1 tsp dried coriander leaves
1 TBS fresh lime juice
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 tsp salt 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cumin


Place all ingredients in a very large jar and shake together until well combined. Chill for several hours to allow the flavours to meld before using. Shake again prior to using.



Mmmm . . .  this was some good.  I could eat this every day.  Happy Friday the 13th.  I hope you aren't superstitious!  I'm not, I was born on a 13th day of the month (August) and the number 13 has always been lucky for me. Hmm . . . maybe I should buy a lottery ticket for tonight!  Bon Appetit! 


Herb Marinated Chicken Breasts 
This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again!  



6 comments

  1. You know we call you the chicken queen, don't you? So, here's another and boy, does it look good! Love chicken salads, too -- but it would be good no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie! It’s nice to be the Queen of something! Xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!