Creamy Baked Chicken

Monday 28 May 2018


This is a delicious chicken dish which Todd really loves.  He is a real meat/chicken and potatoes man, and if there is a delicious gravy/sauce involved, he is one very happy bunny!  This is a simple dish which I have also seen called Amish Chicken, or Baked Chicken which makes its own gravy. I just call it Creamy Baked Chicken.  A rose by any other name and all that.  Its an old, old recipe, a simple recipe and a very delicious one!


You can use whatever kind of chicken you want in this just so long as it is bone in and the skin is still on.  I like to use thighs and legs, or leg quarters.  The long cooking time is too long for breast meat in my opinion.  It only dries it out, gravy or not.  Legs and thighs are best.


The chicken itself gets shaken in a bag of well seasoned flour and place into a baking dish in a single layer.  There is no browning, or fussing and faffing about.  Just shake, coat and put into place.



The flour is seasoned with salt, garlic, pepper and paprika . . .  I like to add some dried thyme and parsley myself for a bit of an herb flavour and some colour.  Its nice, but you can leave it out if you wish.  Personally I really like the addition.


You just place the coated chicken into a baking dish and then you whisk together an equal amount of thick cream and water and pour it around the chicken in the dish, and that is it!!  Easy peasy.  Just bang it into a moderate oven, uncovered and let it bake.


It has a fairly long baking time, which is why I don't really like to use breasts myself.  In that long slow baking that cream/ water mixture reduces down to a thick creamy gravy,  well flavoured by the juices from the chicken and some of that flour coating  . . .


The skin gets all crispy and brown and you have that delicious gravy, which is perfect spooned over both the chicken and my favourite, baked or mashed potatoes.  Todd loves it with potatoes also.  Rice would work as well.  Some cooked vegetables on the side and dinner is served! 




*Creamy Baked Chicken*
Serves 6 - 8 
This is a simple recipe which results in chicken that has its own flavourful creamy gravy. I like to serve it with baked potatoes and a vegetable, but mashed potatoes would also be good, as would rice. 
 

6 to 8 bone in chicken pieces, with the skin
(I like to use a mix of thighs and legs)
140g plain flour (1 cup)
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp  salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried parsley
360ml heavy cream (1 1/2 cups)
350ml water (1 1/2 cups) 


Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/gas mark 4. Have ready a baking dish large enough to hold all of the chicken pieces in a single layer. 


Place the flour, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, thyme, and parsley into a bag.  Shake together.  Wet the chicken pieces and shake them in the flour in the bag one at a time, and then place them into the baking dish in a single layer.

Whisk together the cream and the water.  Pour around the chicken in the dish.  Bake for 1 1/2 hours, uncovered, until the skin is golden brown and the sauce has thickened somewhat.  Serve the chicken with the gravy spooned over top.


Just look at how tender and moist that chicken is and how flavourful that gravy looks.  It will soon be too hot in the kitchen for meals like this.  I reckon this will be one of the last ones we treat ourselves to until the autumn spins around.  Today we are enjoying a bit of  a thunderstorm, so it is just perfect!  Bon Appetit! 



12 comments

  1. Seasoning the chicken in a plastic bag is a novel idea. I really thought you would brown it on the stove first. Your recipe sounds lovely and I can't wait to try it myself!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think you will really enjoy it Jane! I love the simplicity of it! xo

      Delete
  2. Hi Marie, this sounds amazing! I love to cook Chicken thighs, they are so juicy and flavorful! I use the large Ziplock bag technique to coat chicken in herbs and spices all the time! Question, when you add the cream, what about using Chicken Broth instead of water? I think that would make the gravy even better! What do you think? Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see why not Mary. I have never done that, but it might be even tastier as you say! xo

      Delete
  3. this looks and sounds amazing! I made your nut jumbles the other day and they are all gone,, enough said!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laurie! Oh, I am so pleased you enjoyed those cookies! They are addictive I think! xo

      Delete
  4. isn't 1 cup of flour 120g, so are you using 120g or 240g flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Vivien, that is a misprint. It should read 140g flour. 1 cup of flour is 140g not 120g. I have weighed it out myself, and that is the correct weight according to my scales and the weight I always use. Correcting my misprint now. Thank you for noticing!

      Delete
  5. Sandra Williams30 June 2022 at 17:58

    Thank you so much for this delicious recipe. Every time I serve it I get raves. It also works great with thick pork chops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased that you enjoy it! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. Now I will have to try it with pork chops! Thank you!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!