Lemon Raspberry French Toast

Sunday 20 May 2018


Royal weddings aside, I do like to pull the boat out a bit at the weekend when it comes to breakfast/brunch.  I actually did this last weekend, but am only getting to show it to you now.  I found and adapted the recipe from a site which I like called Tablespoon



There were a few things I liked about the recipe. One was that it was built especially for two people and we are only two.  Secondly I liked that it was simple and used things I normally have on hand.


I confess right now, I am not a huge fan of ricotta cheese.  It is a consistency thing.  I MUCH prefer cream cheese, which is smoother and richer.  So that is what I chose to use instead. By all means use ricotta if you prefer it. I don't.


The cheese is mixed with some honey and lemon peel and then spread onto slices of french bread. Easy peasy.  You spread it on all of the slices of bread, and then top only half of them with the fresh raspberries.


I adore fresh raspberries. It was not always so.  My sister and I gorged ourselves on freshly picked raspberries from a neighbors bush when I was a girl, and I ended up getting sick afterwards.  That was a really naughty thing for us to do really, so fair dues that I ended up sick. A fitting punishment.  It was a very long time before I could face a raspberry and my father was hoovering raspberry seeds out of the carpet in our car for a very long time. Lets just say I was not very popular with either the neighbors or my dad!


Thankfully I have since gotten over my aversion to them.  I really enjoy them now, but do have to watch my consumption somewhat due to my diverticulitis.  Enough said!


They work beautifully in this recipe, but I expect any berry would work well.  So just pick your favourite kind and go with the flow!


The honey in this is also a real favourite for me. I adore honey. For this I used Acacia honey . . .  lovely delicious flavours! 


*Lemon Raspberry French Toast*
Serves 2


Quite simply delicious with a lemon cream cheese and fresh fruit filling. 

120g cream cheese (4 ounces)
60ml honey (1/4 cup)
2 1/4 tsp finely grated lemon zest
8 slices (1/2 inch thick) soft French bread
95g fresh raspberries (3/4 cup)
1 large free-range egg, beaten
75ml milk (1/3 cup)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon



Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6. Line a 15 X 10 X 1-inch baking sheet with foil.  Spray with non-stick cooking spray.  


Whisk together the cheese, 2 TBS of the honey and 2 tsp of the lemon zest. Spread about 1 rounded TBS onto each slice of bread. Place 3 berries on top of half of the slices of bread and cover with the remaining bread slices, cheese side down. 


Beat the egg, milk, salt, vanilla and cinnamon together in a shallow bowl.  Place the sandwiches in the bowl.  Let soak for 5 minutes, then flip over and soak for a further 5 minutes.  Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. 


Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.  To each sandwich with the remaining raspberries, drizzle with the remaining honey and sprinkle with the remaining lemon zest.  Serve immediately. 



Whew!  After all of the cooking I have done over these past few days I am exhausted!  I really pulled the stops out for the wedding weekend and am happy now to go back to normal.    A bit of restraint is now in order!  I wonder what I will cook up next?  Hmmm . . .  food for thought! Bon Appetit! 



6 comments

  1. You have been a little baking machine..I hope the newlyweds appreciate your hard work!This looks so good..says she eating her granola and greek yogurt.I eat that 7 mornings a week..I sometimes..go fof all bran:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! I am sure they only have eyes for each other and that is as it should be! I often eat only granola and Greek yogurt for breakfast also. I like lots of nuts in mine! xo

      Delete
  2. I've bookmarked this recipe! Sounds so good. Happy you like raspberries again! We put in 6 plants this year. I dream of walking through them and picking to my heart's content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s great Nan! Good luck with your berries! I’ve never had any luck with them here unfortunately! Xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!