Thai Chicken Salad Roll Ups

Wednesday 20 June 2018


We eat a lot of chicken in our house and I am always looking for new things to do with it so that it doesn't get boring. I don't think that I, personally, could ever get bored of it, but my husband sure could!  (Men!)  I do like to please him if I can, so I am always doing different things with it to keep him happy about eating it!


Chicken is such a versatile ingredient.  You can do so much with it and it easily adapts itself to a large variety of different flavours and textures. Today Todd brought home a rotisserie chicken from Costco for us to have for our tea.


I had seen a recipe on the TABLESPOON site for Thai Chicken Salad Wraps that ticked all of my boxes and that I was very keen to try and so I decided to adapt the recipe to what I had in the house and give them a go.


I didn't have any full size tortilla wraps, so I made do with smaller ones and made them as cones.  This worked really well for me.  I also cut the recipe in half as there are only two of us. 




The original recipe used bagged coleslaw mix. I have never seen that over here, but that is not a problem because I have never minded shredding my own.  I prefer to shred by hand as grating it would make it far too fine a texture for this purpose.  I did grate my carrot.




The original recipe also called for using raw chicken breasts that you poach and cube, which you could certainly easily do.  I had already cooked chicken, so I skipped this step! 



I love chicken salad and I love Thai flavours, so this seemed like a win/win combination for me.  I also love wraps.


The dressing for this salad is really delicious.  It is a creamy peanut sauce, with sesame, soy, lime and coriander flavours, along with a bit of heat from some chili flakes.  It uses soft light brown sugar, but as I am a diabetic, I used  Sukrin Gold brown sugar substitute which worked fine.


Its actually pretty low carb, with the wraps so I would say fairly Diabetic friendly, with plenty of crunch from the vegetables and some from the peanuts, which (although high in fat) are a great source of additional protein.


They were really, really good, although if I make them again (and I really think I will as they are fabulously tasty) I will cut down a bit on the sauce/dressing as it was a bit too much for our liking. Overall however, I would call this a winner/winner chicken dinner!



*Thai Chicken Salad Roll Ups*
Serves 4
 

These tasty roll ups make a change from the usual chicken salad sandwich! Quick and easy to make as well as being delicious! 

 
375g shredded cooked chicken (3 cups)
150g hand shredded cabbage (I use a mix of white and red) (1 1/2 cups)
1 small carrot, peeled and shredded
3 spring onions, thinly sliced
3 TBS chopped fresh coriander leaf (cilantro)
3 TBS coarsely chopped dry roasted peanuts
3 TBS creamy smooth peanut butter
3 TBS soy sauce
3 TBS lime juice
3 TBS soft light brown sugar (I use a brown sugar substitute)
3 TBS light sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic
pinch hot pepper flakes
salt and black pepper to taste
lettuce leaves ( I like baby cos)
8 (6-inch) flour tortillas 
 


Place the chicken in a large bowl.  Add the cabbage, carrot, spring onions, coriander leaf and chopped peanuts.  Whisk together the peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, hot pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste, until smooth. Pour over the chicken and vegetables and toss to coat completely. 


Lay out your tortillas.  Place a couple of lettuce leaves on each. Divide the chicken salad between each tortilla.  Fold up from the bottom and then from the sides to shape cones.  Fasten securely with toothpicks and serve immediately!



These are so delicious and very easy to throw together.  I just loved them and I think you will too!!  Bon Appetit!



3 comments

  1. YUM..Pinning! Me too I love these flavors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes a change from the regular Monique! xo

      Delete
  2. Really, really tasty and ideal for a hot day when you don't want to heat up the kitchen. I took your advice and made less dressing as I didn't want them sloppy. No bagged coleslaw here either, but it is easy enough to make and then at least you know exactly what is in it. The dressing was lovely and tangy (I upped the chilli a tad) and we thought they were delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!