Cheddar Dressed Lettuce Steaks

Friday 20 July 2018





I don't know about you, but I actually crave salads.  To me a salad is like a party going on in your mouth, with a huge variety of textures, colours, flavours . . . 



Or at least it should be if the salad is done right.  And I dare to say that this salad I am showing today . . .  is done very very right.  Iceberg lettuce steaks, dressed to the "T" with loads of your favorite things. Pretty to look at and delicious to eat!








Its a beautiful combination of colours . . .  a variety of reds and greens . . .  browns . . . whites . . .  no two shades being alike . . .

We are told to eat a rainbow of health! This tasty simple salad epitomizes that very idea.







You have amazing textures  . . . crisp iceberg lettuce  . . . soft tomatoes, crisp cucumber and radish . . . crunchy bacon . . .  creamy dressing  . . .







And you have amazing flavours  . . .  the smokiness of the bacon  . . .  the heat of the radish . . .  the sweetness of the tomato . . . the cool almost melon-like flavour of the cucumber . . . 



The sharpness of the onion . . . the slight bitterness from the lettuce . . .  and then . . . the creamy tang of that cheddar dressing . . .  mmmm . . .






This is a salad that deservedly strives to be the star of the show, and why not!  It's both beautiful to behold, and a joy to eat!







The dressing has a lovely bold flavour . . .  creamy and rich . . .  a little bit goes a very long way.  I always use strong/sharp cheddar. 


To me it is the most flavourful cheese in the world without being in the slightest bit obnoxious. 







I could eat the dressing with a spoon . . . I am sure you could too.  


You really have to make it, if only to serve on a lettuce wedge without all of the other party pieces.  I dare say it would also be lovely on grilled chicken or fish. 






The artist in me could not help but make little radish flowers to decorate the dish . . .  so easy to do with a small sharp paring knife.  



This ones I took the tip of the knife and make little cuts in the radish all the way around it's circumference, right into the centre, up and down, so you get little pointed zigzags  . . . if that makes sense . . .  and I really hope that it does.







And then I tied a little bundle of the thinnest chives together to dress it up a little bit more. I thought this was quite, quite pretty . . .






A true feast for the eyes and the palate and nothing is out of the ordinary in the least.  Purely simple ingredients put together in a most scrumptious way!






*Cheddar Dressed Lettuce Steaks*
Serves 4
 
 
A very pretty salad with a lovely creamy cheddar dressing.

For the Dressing:
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp sugar
1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely minced
125g of dairy sour cream (1/2 cup)
2 TBS good quality mayonnaise
4 ounces strong cheddar cheese grated (about 1 cup)
3 TBS finely chopped chives
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

You will also need:
1 head of iceberg lettuce, washed, left whole and outside leaves removed and discarded
4 TBS chopped fresh cucumber
4 TBS chopped fresh tomato
4 large radishes chopped
1/2 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
4 rashers streaky bacon cooked until crisp and crumbled
some chopped fresh parsley 
 




For the dressing, whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, and sugar.   Stir in the sour cream, mayonnaise, grated cheddar and chives.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Let stand half an hour prior to using in order to allow the flavours to meld  Store any leftovers in the refrigerator and use within 4 days.  Bring to room temperature prior to using.

To make the salads, slice the lettuce crosswise into steaks.  Place one "steak" onto each of 4 salad plates. Sprinkle a quantity of cucumber, tomato, radish, bacon, onion, and parsley on top of each and drizzle with the dressing. Serve immediately.




You  don't have to limit yourself to the salad vegetables that I have used. The Clever Cook could come up with any combination of fresh crisp ingredients to use here. I


 am a bit pedantic and the chef in me like to cut all of my fresh veg into a very fine dice, but that is me. If you don't mind larger bits, by all means use larger bits. 


It only matters really that it tastes good, always remembering of course that taste begins with the eyes!  Bon Appetit! 

Cheddar Dressed Lettuce Steaks




This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at mariealicejoan at aol dot com. 


Thanks so much for visiting! Do come again!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments

  1. I crave them too and have made these steaks.I like a crisp cruch..not so much chewing:) Looks delish Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done a different version of these in the past with a different dressing! I think iceberg lettuce gets a bad rap sometimes. It’s what I grew up on! Too often it gets overshadowed by modern trends! Kind of like people! It’s hard to hear the timid voice amidst all the shouting sometimes, but the timid voice still has plenty of value! Xo

      Delete
  2. Yet again something new and interesting to do with ordinary ingredients to turn them into a luxurious plate of food. We had this yesterday and thought it was a feast for the eye and the taste buds. I'm loving all of your salad ideas!

    I cut my veggies into smaller dice as well as I think it looks nicer and makes for easier eating. The dressing was creamy and delicious and every bite was a new taste. Big thumbs up for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my favourite salads Marie. So simple and yet so impressive. I need to buy an iceberg and make one soon, while the weather is still warm enough for me to appreciate it! Thanks so much! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!