Blueberry & Corn Salad

Wednesday 15 August 2018







Make no mistake about it.  I am a salad lover.  There is no end to the combination of flavours and colours and deliciousness when it comes to making salads.  


This is a salad my friend Rhondi posted on Instagram the other week and I bookmarked it. It was just interesting enough and colourful enough that I knew it was something we would enjoy! 











The original recipe comes from Yummly, by way of A Healthy Life for Me, and is Gluten Free and Paleo.  


Of course I adapted it a bit to what I have/had in my house and garden, and with most delicious results I might add! 







I have always ascribed to the notion that there is a reason certain foods ripen together and in the same season . . .  


To me it usually means that they are ingredients that go well with each other. You might think that blueberries and corn are not things that would go together, but you would be totally wrong! 









Not only do they ripen at approximately the same time, but they also work wonderfully together when served in a salad such as this.  


Blueberries are not all that sweet when raw . . .  the sweetness only really comes out when they are cooked.  When raw they are a bit tangy and earthy, at least they are to me! 









Corn, when cooked properly is crisp and sweet and juicy . . .  fresh tasting.  Mix the two together and you have a beautiful marriage of crisp, sweet, tangy, juicy wonderfulness! 









There is also cucumber in this, which has an almost melon quality, and red onions for a bit of sharpness.  


I added some raw courgette/zucchini . . .  because I like them raw and in salads and I thought it would add interest.









The dressing is fabulous!  Sweet and tangy . . .  with lime and honey  . . .  cumin for a bit of warmth, some hot pepper sauce  . . .










and a bit of herbiness from the use of fresh oregano and basil.  The original recipe used coriander/cilantro, but I thought oregano and basil would taste much better and I was right.  


They worked beautifully with the rest of the flavours!









with the end result being a salad that was not only a feast for the mouth, just bursting with flavour and textures . . .








But a wonderful feast for the eyes!










Don't be tempted to overlook this because of the unusual qualities of it  You will be missing out on a real gem if you do!  Its a true winner and now one of our favourites!











*Blueberry & Corn Salad*
Serves 6
 

A delicious, healthy and unsual salad which makes a fabulous use of seasonal ingredients! 


6 ears of corn husked
250g fresh blueberries (1 cup)
1 medium cucumber, washed and sliced
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 small courgette (zucchini) , halved and cut into half moons

For the dressing:
1 tsp green pepper sauce
2 TBS fresh lime juice
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
2 TBS liquid honey
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 TBS minced fresh oregano
1 TBS minced fresh basil
salt and black pepper to taste







(You can either cook the corn or not for this recipe.  I cooked it. 5 minutes in lightly sugared boiling water.)  Cut the kernels of corn from the cobs and place into a bowl.  Toss together with the blueberries, cucumber, red onion and courgette. (I used a yellow courgette/zucchini.)




Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients until well blended. Pour over the vegetables and toss together to coat. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Give it a final toss at the table.  Delicious!









We had this the other night when we had guests over or supper.  I served it with a cheese and onion quiche, potato salad and sliced tomatoes and cucumbers.  It went down a real treat!  Bon Appetit!




6 comments

  1. Cumin and corn go together like a horse and carriage:) Bet it's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really, really lovely Monique. Blueberries are not a really sweet berry and so it works well! xo

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! I can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won’t believe how delicious it is! You are in for a real treat! Xo

      Delete
  3. I just love it when I have all the ingredients for something you share in my pantry NOW! And it's summer. And it's salad season! You score triple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a bit unconventional I know Jeanie, but I do hope people will try it. Its a real winner! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!