Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Dip

Wednesday 19 September 2018


I think I am probably a combination of a  really cheap date and a pain in the arse when it comes to dining out.  

I either always opt for the fish and chips (providing I know the providence of the fish and exactly what kind of fish it is.), or I go for the chicken strips. (Again, only if I know that they are totally made from actual strips of chicken breast, not chewed up chicken reconstituted into whole strips.)  

I know. Picky me.  I have had far too many poorly cooked steaks to want to risk good money chasing after one of those.  

More and more however, I am finding that if I really want a delicious meal that is affordable, I will stick to home. You just can't beat good home-cooking.


And I can't afford to eat in fancy restaurants that give you good, cooked from scratch food.  

Truth be told, most restaurants today bring in their food frozen and all they are doing is re-heating it.  

I can do that at home, thank you very much, and at a fraction of the cost!


These chicken strips I am sharing today are really, really good.  Nicely flavoured and spiced and made from real whole chicken breast which has been sliced into strips.  

Its always a bit of a faff when you are breading things. There is no getting around it, but I find that if I do it in steps, then things run rather smoothly.  

Usually I will cut and bread the chicken earlier in the day, laying it on a plate and putting it in the refrigerator to chill until I am ready to cook it.


This saves me from being rushed at the last minute, at the end of the day, when I am usually really tired. 

It also means that the breading has had a nice long time to set up and so it really sticks to the chicken when I go to fry it.  Win/win in my books, but you do whatever you find easiest!


On this particular day I decided to whisk together mustard and honey for a dipping sauce. I love honey mustard, and this turned out really nice.  

I used French's American style mustard and plain old liquid clover honey. 


It was just runny enough to make a lovely dip, and yet not too runny if you know what I mean. 

If you want a milder mustard flavour, and a less runny dip, you can whisk in either some mayonnaise or some sour cream, or both.


We were happy with it just as it was.  Todd always says that American mustard isn't really mustard. He likes  British mustard, which is really, really hot, not mild like American style. 

Funny story. When we were first married, I used to make him a bag lunch to take to work each day.  I would often put mustard on his ham sandwiches if that was the kind of sandwich I was making, and I used to really smear the mustard onto them, like I would have done back home.  

He was so polite, he never said a word.  It wasn't until I did it for myself one day that I realised just hot hot it was!  Poor Todd. He must have had his head blown off every time!


In any case, this is a really lovely dip for the chicken.  Not too spicy and with a tangy sweetness. 


It goes really well with the peppery bite of the chicken.  YUMMY!  We love these.

Yield: 4

Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Dip

prep time: 25 minscook time: 25 minstotal time: 50 mins
Spicy chicken strips served with a delicious honey mustard dipping sauce.

ingredients:

For the chicken:
1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp sea salt, rubbed in your fingers until fine
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 large free range eggs
1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs (if you can't find these, use plain dry
bread crumbs to which you have added some garlic powder, dried parsley
flakes, dried basil and dried oregano)
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan Cheese
unsalted butter
good olive oil
For the sauce:
60ml prepared mustard (1/4 cup)
(I used French's American style mustard)
3 TBS liquid honey

instructions:

Put the chicken breasts on a cutting board and cut through each, diagonally, into four or five large strips.

Take three shallow bowls. In the first one combine the flour, salt and
pepper. In the second one beat the eggs together with 1 TBS water. In
the third one combine the bread crumbs and the Parmesan cheese. Take
your chicken pieces and, working with one at a time, dredge them into
the flour mixture, then into the beaten egg and then finally roll them
in the breadcrumb mixture to coat. Place them on a plate without
touching until they are all coated. (Your fingers will get all clumped
up with doughy squidge, but that’s OK. Fingers are easily cleaned off!)
Let them sit for about 15 minutes.

Heat 1 TBS of butter along with 1 TBS of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. When the butter is foaming, turn the heat down to medium low, and cook the chicken
strips in the hot fat for about 3 minutes on each side, just until they
are cooked through. Don’t crowd the pan or they will steam instead of
fry. Add more butter and oil and cook the rest. Serve warm with the
dipping sauce.

While the chicken strips are cooking, whisk together the mustard and liquid honey for the dip.
Easy Peasy.

Created using The Recipes Generator



These are great for game nights when you are watching the football, hockey or rugby, or when your teens are entertaining their friends, and to be honest, they are great for supper, served with your favourite sides.  We had homemade sweet potato wedges and peas. Yummy!


Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Dip 
This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again!  



6 comments

  1. I laughed at your story about slathering the English mustard on poor Todd's lunch. What a sweetie he is to say nothing about it. I admit that I'm with him on mustard - I like English mustard and French. The lovely grainy German mustards are also lovely and I do like Finnish mustard. But I cannot stand American mustard - it tastes like sweet vinegar and not mustard at all. My father was very hard core about mustard and used to simply mix the Coleman's powder with a little water to form a paste and that was a very fiery mustard that he used on his Sunday roast beef.

    The chicken tenders sound lovely. I'm sure the grandkids will love them. I agree that homemade is always best as you know exactly what is in thrm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s probably a very regional thing Marie! I grew up on American mustard, but I love French Dijon and grainy mustards also! I also love a mustard called Honey Cup. It’s spicy and sweet! Xo

      Delete
  2. Wow, I can relate to this post! Yesterday we were just talking about how hard it is to eat out anymore when the food is so much better and less expensive at home. Thanks for this new recipe. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Hope you give these a go! Xo

      Delete
  3. I'm with the Marie who said she hated American yellow mustard but loved the others. Me too! This looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Jeanie, I had no idea so many found it revolting! I really never knew there was anything else until I was an adult. I do admit that others taste a lot better! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!