Honeyed Tomato Soup

Tuesday 20 November 2018


This delicious Tomato Soup is one that I first shared with you back in 2011.  It is also one of the recipes which will be included in my new book A Year In The English Kitchen, which is coming out in January.  This new book reads a bit like a diary, and contains not only recipes but some of my seasonal writings and yes, even crafts, on a month by month basis. 



I wanted to update the photos a bit for the cook, so had the opportunity to cook it again last week and was reminded once again of how very delicious it was, and so I thought I would tempt your palate and interest a bit and share it with you again! 


Just a tiny glimpse of all the lovely things you have to look forward in the new book. It was originally supposed to be published in November of this year, but they got behind on everything and so there has been a slight delay.  Hopefully it won't harm anything in the long run.  I am pretty proud of it.


This is a lovely soup, and that is the same with every recipe I have included in the new book. Each one is a delicious, tried and true favourite of mine.  I adore tomato soups.  They spell comfort like no other soup, save chicken noodle, and this version is especially nice.


In my original post I accompanied it with cheddar and Onion Marmalade Panini, which were mighty tasty also.  This time I just accompanied it with some cheese and bacon open faced toasties.


They were very simple to make.  I simply cut out snowflake shapes from buttered slices of sour dough bread, and then lightly toasted them on both sides under a hot grill/broiler.  Then I piled each one with a mix of grated strong cheddar cheese and chopped partially cooked bacon before sliding under the grill again just to melt the cheese and finish cooking the bacon.


Totally scrumptious and something you needn't feel too guilty about indulging in as the soup is very low in fat and calories.  Unbelievable you say?



Rich and Herby with just a hint of sweet . . . your guests will wonder what your secret is. It tastes like it should have a bazillion calories in it, but guess what?? THERE IS HARDLY ANY FAT! It's just tomatoes, herbs, low fat skimmed evaporated milk. Yes, that incredible richness comes from tinned skimmed evaporated milk!  And no, you cannot tell in the very least that it contains tinned milk.


I like the little drizzle of tinned milk on the top that pretties it up even more.


I like to run a toothpick through it to make a squiggly design.  It would be nice if I could have figured out how to do a heart, but alas . . .  I could not.  Heart or not, it is delicious all the same!

Yield: 4

Honeyed Tomato Soup

prep time: 10 minscook time: 20 minstotal time: 30 mins
A deliciously simple tomato soup, slightly sweetened with honey.  I find the honey helps the tomatoes from being too acidic.  It just tastes wonderful.  Who would guess that is is low in fat!

ingredients:

2 (390g) tetra packs of chopped Italian tomatoes
with onions and garlic (about 4 cups)
2 ribs of celery chopped
splash of white wine
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
2 TBS runny honey
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
240ml of skimmed evaporated tinned milk (1 cup)
240ml of 2% milk (1 cup)

instructions:


Place the tomatoes, celery, white wine, sage and rosemary into a
saucepan.  Bring to the boil.  Immediately reduce the heat to a low
simmer.  Stir in the honey and season to taste with some salt and black
pepper.  Simmer for about 15 minutes, until the celery is soft.  Blitz
until smooth with a stick blender if you have it, or very carefully in a
 regular blender.  Alternately you can put it through a moulee.  Return
to the heat.  Whisk in most of the tinned milk, reserving a bit for a
garnishing.  Whisk in the milk.  Heat through.  Ladle out into 4 heated
soup bowls.  Drizzle a bit of the reserved tinned milk on top and drag
through it with a toothpick to make a lovely swirl.
Created using The Recipes Generator


Note, if you can't find tomatoes with onions and garlic added, just saute one large onion, minced along with a few cloves of garlic, peeled and minced as well. You can do this in a bit of stock to save on fat and calories, or in the microwave to save on even more.  However you choose to do it, you are in for a real treat. This simple soup is fabulous and makes a beautiful light lunch!  Bon appetit! 



8 comments

  1. Hi Marie, Congratulations and best wishes on the new book you have coming out! Such exciting times for you!
    This soup sounds wonderful and I'm anxious to try it very soon. The cheese and bacon open faced toasties look delicious too, perfect with tomato soup. Thank you for including the details on how you made them! Take care, Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Mary! I hope you will try it and that you like it! You just have to have a cheese toastie with tomato soup! Its like peas and carrots, they go together in perfect harmony! God bless! xo

      Delete
  2. This sounds delicious Marie, I’ve added it to my Paprika cooking recipe app and will try it this weekend. Looking forward to the new cookery book. If you are looking for testers please let me know. I love all your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will need reviewers for sure Linda! You will be on the list! Thank you! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Sounds like your new work will reflect many parts of you! Great! This looks delicious and I love the snowflakes:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! Its the book I would have liked to write the first time around! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Congratulations and best wishes for your continuing success.

    Mm this soup looks delicious. As the weather becomes cooler here, this will certainly be on our menu. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy! You will enjoy this soup I am sure. It is a real favourite here! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!