Black Cherry Sauced Turkey Steaks

Thursday 13 December 2018


I really need to get better at labelling things when I put them in the freezer.  I took out what I thought was chicken breasts the other day and it ended up being turkey steaks!  I always think I will remember what I am putting in there, but I never do!  Does anyone else have that problem? Tell me I am not alone in this!  Please!




Its the same with leftover stews and such.  I pop them into plastic containers and think to myself, I'll remember what this is . . .  and then I don't!  We often dine on mysterious things that aren't known to me until they are thawed, LOL.  That's me!



So anyways, I had these turkey steaks that I had to do something with and so I put my thinking cap on. This is what I came up with!


Its really, really simple. There is no browning of the steaks ahead of time.  You just lay them in the baking dish, and pour the sauce over top. 



Less than half an hour in the oven and you have perfectly cooked tender turkey steaks with a delicious sauce to spoon over top. 



The sauce is really simple.  Its just a combination of mayonnaise, black cherry jam and some BBQ sauce. You can use your favourite kind of BBQ sauce.  Its really simple.  I haven't used low fat mayonnaise so I can't speak to how that would work.


The quantities I have given are for  one serving, but you can easily multiply the amounts to serve more people. 


If you don't have turkey steaks, you could also use chicken breasts, or thighs.  I would use boneless, and thighs would take longer to cook than breasts.  You could also use bone in chicken, which again would take even longer. 


If you are using bone in poultry, I would cover them first, or maybe even just season and cook them  for about half an hour before spooning the sauce over top and cooking them until tender. (Do baste.  YUM!)


This sauce would also go very well on Salmon fillets I think.  I would brown them in a skillet for several minutes on both sides until done, and then just heat the sauce ingredients together in a saucepan, spooning the sauce over the finished fish to serve.


We had them with some scalloped potatoes and a vegetable.  This was really, really nice.



So we ended up with an unplanned surprise of a dinner that was really, really delicious! I love it when that happens!

Yield: variable

Black Cherry Sauced Turkey Steaks

prep time: 5 minscook time: 25 minstotal time: 30 mins
Tender and delicious with a scrumptious sauce. I am giving the quantities for one. Just multiply for however many turkey steaks you are cooking!

ingredients:

1 Turkey steak
1 TBS black cherry jam
1 TBS good quality mayonnaise
1 TBS your favourite BBQ sauce
Salt and black pepper to taste

instructions:


Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Lay
your turkey steak(s) out in a baking dish just large enough to hold them
 comfortably.  Season them to taste. Whisk together the remaining
ingredients until smooth and well combined.  Spoon over the turkey
steak.  Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, turning them
over  once or twice and basting them.  At the end of that time they
should be nicely glazed and the juices should run clear.  Take care not
to over cook them, or they will be dry. You want them just cooked
through and still moist.  You can double the quantities of the sauce if
you want more sauce.  Serve hot with the thickened sauce spooned over
top.
Created using The Recipes Generator




Perfectly cooked, tender and delicious with plenty of sauce. Quick and simple to make, using simple ingredients you probably already have in the house and serving as few or as many as you want to feed. What more could you ask for!  Bon Appetit! 



4 comments

  1. Swwet meat always a treat! I am bad at freezing things too:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Monique! Always a treat! Glad I am not alone in the freezing thing! xo

      Delete
  2. Sounds heavenly for a winter supper, Marie! Now that a newly diagnosed heart condition restricts me to fish and poultry (not that I'm complaining, mind you!), I'll enjoy turkey steaks with this luscious sauce. Thanks for the tip. And, by the way, I store my meats in Zip-Loc see-through bags. I STILL make mistakes in identifying them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turkey is also a super food and very good for you Jo! ((((hugs)))) I store them in Zip Locs also, but I need to write on them what they are I think. LOL I keep forgetting what I froze and when! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!