Lemon Cupcakes with Raspberry Jam

Wednesday 16 January 2019


We are having the Missionary Sisters come to us for supper tonight.  Its been a while since we have had Missionary Sisters in the Chester area, so we are quite excited about that!


I love feeding all of the Missionaries, but its always more exciting to me to feed the Sisters.  You can cook for them things that you wouldn't cook for the guys.   



You can do things for them like have picnics, or tea parties.  I suppose you could also do that for the guys, but they wouldn't appreciate it in quite the same way as the girls do, if you know what I mean! 



You can cook daintier, more feminine things for the girls.  Things like cupcakes.  Yummy scrummy cupcakes.



This recipe I am sharing today is one from the Martha Stewart Cupcake Cookbook.  I have had the book for a very long time now, but believe it or not this is the first recipe I am using from it! 



Lemon Yogurt Cupcakes With Raspberry Jam.  I am not really good with fiddly stuff.  I don't think I have the patience.  These are not fiddly.  That is the one thing that drew me to this recipe. 



Simple and not fiddly, plus the flavours of lemon and raspberry of course!  I love both those things.  I also love cake with jam.


For some reason hers were not domed like mine, so she was able to get three layers, with two layers being jam.  Mine domed and three layers were not practical.  Perhaps it was the size of my muffin cups.


In any case these are beautiful and light! 



Rich and flavourful  . . .


Everything a good cupcake should be.  Tender and moist  . . .


With just enough lemon flavour  . . . its there, but its subtle . . . it doesn't slap you in the face.




She used seedless raspberry jam.  I used regular raspberry jam  . . .  Bonne Maman of course.  Its the best, seeded or not! 



Oh how I wish I could give you one of these so you could see how very delicious and perfect they are for yourself!



I just know the girls are going to love them.  I am serving them old style . . .  with vanilla ice cream on the side.  Cake and ice cream. You can't get much better than that!

Yield: Makes 24

Lemon Cupcakes with Raspberry Jam

prep time: 15 minscook time: 20 minstotal time: 35 mins
These cupcakes are anything but ordinary.  Delicious.

ingredients:



  • 345g butter (1 1/2 cups)
  • 385g of plain flour (2 3/4 cup)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 3 large free range eggs, separated and at room temperature
  • 240g of granulated sugar (1 1/4 cup)
  • 1 TBS finely grated lemon zest, plus 4 1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 185g full fat plain yogurt (3/4 cup)
  • jam for filling
  • icing sugar to dust

instructions:




  1. Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas
    mark 4.  Brush two medium muffin tins with softened butter and dust with
     flour, shaking out any excess.
  2. Beat together the butter and 3/4 of the sugar until light and creamy. 
    Beat in the extract, lemon juice, lemon zest and then the egg yolks, one
     at a time.
  3. Whisk together the flour, soda, baking powder and salt.

  4. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Continue to beat, adding the remaining sugar, until stiff and glossy but not dry.

  5. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture in
    three batches, beginning and ending with dry, alternating with the
    yogurt (in two additions).  Fold in the beaten egg whites.

  6. Spoon into the prepared muffin tins.  Bake in the
    preheated oven for 20 minutes, rotating the tins half way through the
    bake time.  When done a toothpick inserted in the centre should come out
     clean.  Let cool completely in the tins.

  7. Once cold, cut in half horizontally,  Spread the cut side with jam, replacing the top.  Dust with icing sugar.  Serve.
Created using The Recipes Generator



I am not sure why I am not a lover of fiddly things.  I love to look at them.  I just don't like making fiddly things.  Perhaps working at the Manor cured me of ever wanting to do fiddly, I don't know.  I am more than capable of doing it . . .  I just don't want to.  Anyways, bake these cupcakes.  You are sure to love them!  I guarantee!  Bon Appetit!   Or as Martha would say . . .  "Its a good thing."
 
  Note - I noticed that they did absorb some of the jam as they sat so I would recommend filling and dusting just before serving.  The flavour was not altered, but the appearance was a bit when you cut them open.  They were still delicious! 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 

 Follow my blog with Bloglovin



9 comments

  1. These sound delicious, Marie - will definitely be trying them soon. And, I absolutely love your tea service - haven't seen anything like them here in the US! Looking forward to your next post, love them all! Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Marilyn! The cupcakes are great, but do be aware that they will absorb the jam if they sit for too long, so only fill them and dust prior to serving them. The cup and saucer were a lucky charity shop find! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Your cupcakes always have a crown..I wonder if your muffin tin is a crwon oe:) So $$$ here and the last thing I need is another muffin tin:) They look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure Monique? I did not know there was two kinds! Now I will have to investigate that! They were really delicious! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Wonderful. This would make one feel quite special indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy! They are pretty tasty for sure! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Your cupcakes are lovely! And since I'm lemon's biggest fan, I will have to add this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these would be a great tea party addition Jeanie! Thanks! xoxo

      Delete
  5. I made these today for an afternoon tea for some guests and they were lovely. I did manage to get the three layers as mine did not form a peak. Perhaps you filled the tins too much, or sometimes there is too much leavening agent which can cause that. I also baked at a slightly lower temperature for a little longer as you can get a more even bake that way.

    The flavour was lovely (you know me and lemon!) and everyone thought they were terrific.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!