Bakewell Slices

Sunday 24 March 2019





I like to pull the stops out a bit at the weekend and bake a treat for my husband.  To be honest, I don't bake much during the week because it gets in my mouth too easily and I need to really watch it.  


My husband shouldn't be punished for my transgressions however, so at the weekend, I always like to do something special for him. 







He really loves the Bakewell Tarts you can buy in the shop.  Small short crust pastry tarts filled with jam and an almond sponge and then topped with a sicky sweet icing and half  of a glace cherry. 








They really are sweet however  . . .  and nothing tastes better than homemade anything, so this week I decided to bake him some Bakewell Slices, which closely resemble the tart but I think are a lot nicer. 








Bakewell is a town in the Peak District here in the UK.  


It is located on the River Rye and is quite well known for its traditional and original Bakewell pudding, which boasts a pastry base topped with jam and an almond custard. 








And then there is the Bakewell Tart, which is similar.  The pudding uses Puff Pastry and the tart . . .  short crust pastry.  



The pudding has a custard topping and the tart . . .  an almond cake topping.








Both are equally as delicious.  My recipe today favours the tart in that it has an almond cake topping







The pastry is a very simple short crust pastry.  You will want enough to fill a 12 by 9 inch traybake tin. 



I roll it out fairly thin and bring it 1/2 inch up the sides. (I hate it when jam touches the sides of a tin and sticks.  It is much easier to remove the finished bake if jam hasn't baked onto the tin.) 



baking tin






This is the tin I use.  It has a bottom which slides out, which makes it really easy to remove the cake. 








You spread the jam over top of the pastry base.  You want to be somewhat generous with it, in that you want the jam not to be lost in everything else.  



The base is not sweet in the least and so a nice layer of jam is a must.








I use raspberry jam, but some people prefer strawberry jam.  Both are equally as delicious.









A simple almond sponge batter is spooned over top of the jam.  It can be a bit fiddly to spread this batter out.








What works for me is to dollop the cake batter over top of the jam in small dollops all over.  Then I just spread it out with the back of a spoon.


I  then use a fingertip to make sure it gets right to the edge of the pastry. 







The top is covered with a nice layer of flaked almonds.  They toast while the cake is baking to a lovely golden brown.  



Yum . . .  I do so love toasted almonds.








To finish them off I have drizzled a thick almond drizzle over top. Not as sicky sweet as the tarts that you buy, but just perfect.  



It dresses them up nicely and adds just a hint of sweet on an already perfect slice.   You can of course leave this off entirely! 


Yield: Makes 24

Bakewell Slice

prep time: 15 minscook time: 25 minstotal time: 40 mins
A beautiful slice/square perfect for enjoying with a nice hot cuppa.  Do be generous with the jam. No need to line the baking pan with paper as the pastry will not stick. You will need a 12 by 9 inch tray bake tin or roasting tin. (Mine has a removable bottom)

ingredients:

For the shortcrust pastry:
  • 175g plain flour (1 1/4 cups)
  • 75g butter (6 TBS)
  • 2 - 3 TBS cold water
For the sponge mixture:
  • 100g butter softened (scant half cup)
  • 100g caster sugar (1/2 cup + 1 TBS)
  • 175g self raising flour (1 1/4 cups)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 large free range eggs
  • 2 TBS whole milk
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
To finish:
  • 4 heaped TBS raspberry jam
  • flaked almonds to sprinkle

instructions:

  1. First make the pastry.  Measure the flour into a bowl.  Add th butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.  Add the cold water gradually, mixing together with a fork to form a soft dough.
  2. Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle the size of your baking tin.  Use this to ine the tin. ( I like it to come about 1/2 inch up the sides.)
  3. Measure all of the sponge ingredients into a bowl and beat together well until smooth.
  4. Spoon the jam into the pastry lined tin and spread it out with the back of a spoon. Dollop the cake batter over top and spread it out to cover the jam. (I find this easiest to do it in small dollops all over and then spread it out right to the pastry edge with the back of a clean spoon and finally my finger tip at the end.)  Sprinkle flaked almonds over top to cover.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, until the cake springs back when lightly touched in the centre and is golden brown.  Leave to cool in the tin before cutting into slices to serve. 
  6. I often drizzle an almond drizzle icing over top.  Whisk together 65g/1/2 cup of icing sugar with a few drops of vanilla extract and  just enough milk to give you a thick drizzle.  Flick it over the top decoratively.
Created using The Recipes Generator






These really are nice and go down wonderfully with a nice hot cuppa. 



I can't think of a better way to enjoy a break on a weekend afternoon, than a hot drink and one of these as I sit at the table  with paper and pencil, looking out at the garden and pondering my plans for it in the coming months.




8 comments

  1. Love the tart AND the tin! Ingenious..Oh this is Pinned;) Merci madame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had that tin for quite a while Monique. I use it for all my tray bakes. It is the perfect tin! These squares are gorgeous! Thanks for pinning! xoxo

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious, Marie. Printing it out! And I've never seen a tin like that for baking -- what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are almost too good if you know what I mean Jeanie! The tin is fabulous. I use it all the time! xoxo

      Delete
  3. May I ask where the tin is from? Thank you Marie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doodle. I got mine at Lakeland a number of years back, but you can find them on Amazon also! xo

      Delete
  4. Why have I not made this? Still coveting pan too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really truly wish I could give it to you Monique. It will probably end up in the tip. You do need to bake the squares. They are magnificent. xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!