Cabbage & Tomato Soup

Wednesday 20 March 2019


Today you get two delicious recipes!  One is a healthy Cabbage & Tomato Soup and the other is a delicious Cheddar & Chive Drop Biscuit, small batch. (but easily doubled)


The two go beautifully together! 



The soup is very simple to make. You just sweat some onions out in a mix of olive oil, butter (not a lot of either one) and some aromatic spices  . . .  fennel, cumin and coriander . . . 



Once the onions have softened, you add the cabbage, which should be thinly hand shredded.  I like it about 1/4 inch thick.  That is quite manageable on the spoon and in the mouth. 



Add some chicken stock (or vegetable stock if you are a vegetarian) and a tin of really good chopped tomatoes.  I use Cirio Polpa Chopped Tomatoes.  They have the nicest flavour. 



This small batch Cheddar and Chive Drop Biscuit recipe is amazingly tasty. I use fresh chives, but then I grow them in the garden.  If you want to use dried (ugh) you will only need to use half the amount.  The reason I prefer the fresh ones is for the lovely bright colour and flavour.


I am not a huge fan of dried chives, but you can probably tell that already! 


Yield: 7

Small Batch Cheddar & Chive Drop Biscuits

prep time: 10 minscook time: 15 minstotal time: 25 mins
Savoury, rich and delicious with the perfect crumb.  Great with soups, stews or even on their own.

ingredients:

  • 140g plain flour (1 cup all purpose)
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 2 TBS very cold butter
  • 30g grated strong cheddar cheese (1/4 cup)
  • 2 TBS chopped fresh chives
  • 120ml buttermilk (1/2 cup)
  • 30g sour cream (1/4 cup)
  • 3 TBS additional grated cheddar

instructions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 230*C/450*F/ gas mark 7.  Line a baking tray with baking paper.  Set aside.
  2. Whisk together the soda, baking powder, salt, pepper and flour.  Drop in the butter, cut into bits and then cut it in until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Stir in the cheese and chives.  Whisk together the sour cream and buttermilk.  Add all at once to the dry ingredients, and stir together just until mixed.
  3. Drop into 7 equal mounds on the baking sheet.  Sprinkle the additional cheese over top of each dividing it equally.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for  12 to 15 minutes until risen, golden brown and they test done.  A toothpick inserted in the centre of one should come out clean and the bottoms should be golden brown.
Created using The Recipes Generator



The two together make for a fairly healthy, yet hearty meal! 



The soup is beautifully flavoured with buttery soft cabbage. I  like my cabbage well cooked . . . I don't think crispy cabbage works well in a soup. 



Salad yes, but not a soup  . . .



These two are the perfect meal time partners . . .

Yield: 4

Cabbage & Tomato Soup

prep time: 15 minscook time: 45 minstotal time: 60 mins
Simple, healthy and delicious!

ingredients:

  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp butter
  • 1/4 tsp each ground coriander and ground fennel
  • 1/8 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
  • 1 small white cabbage, cored and thinly shredded (1/4 inch thick)
  • 1 tsp  salt
  • 1 (400g) tin of chopped tomatoes in juice (15 oz tin)
  • 1 litre of chicken stock (4 cups)
  • fresh ground black pepper to taste

instructions:

  1. Have all of your ingredients ready before you begin.  Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy bottomed saucepan.  Add the spices along with the chopped onion.  Cook over low heat until the onions have softened and everything is really fragrant.  Add the sliced cabbage and stir all well together to coat the cabbage.  Season with 1/2 tsp salt and some ground black pepper.  Add the tin of tomatoes and the stock.  Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.  Simmer for 35 to 40 minutes until the cabbage is tender and flavours have melded.  Taste and adjust seasoning as required.  Serve ladled into heated bowls.
Created using The Recipes Generator



Cirio uses only the finest 100% Italian Tomatoes in their Polpa Chopped Tomatoes.  The seeds have been removed as well, which I love.  (I have diverticulitis and tomato skins and seeds affect me adversely and make me quite ill.)  Fresh tomatoes are carved lovingly into large pieces which helps to preserve that intense Italian tomato flavour and texture.  Fragrant and tasty with a rich red hue, these tomatoes are packed on the same day as they are picked.  I quite simply love them.  Cirio is always my tomato of choice.



I am a person who really loves cabbage. It has ever been so.  My mom often made cabbage rolls for us when we were growing up.  I never liked the minced meat filling and my father didn't like the cabbage, so we compromised and I ate his cabbage and he ate my meat.  I think I got the better deal out of the bargain. This soup reminds me of my mom's cabbage rolls.  I love taste memories, don't you?



4 comments

  1. Replies
    1. You need a little something along side a bowl of soup I think Monique, crackers, bread or whatever. These biscuits went perfectly! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Happy first day of Spring, Marie. It's been beautiful here in KY the last couple days and I have daffodils about ready to open.(The wild ones found along the roadside(called buttercups in our area)are already cheering up the countryside.

    This is a soup recipe that I have not seen, but since I like both cabbage and tomato soup I think I would really enjoy it. The biscuits are a perfect combination. Why is it we like a little starch with our soup? :)

    You introduced me to Cirio tomatoes a few years back and I really like them! Blessings on your day! ~Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Spring Elaine! We were in Wales today and the Daffodil is the national flower of Wales. Simply breathtaking with all of them having been planted along the verges of the motorways, roads and of course in everyone's garden. A sea of yellow! I like a bit of something starch with my soups for sure! These biscuits went down a real treat! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!