Lemon Yogurt Muffins - small batch

Tuesday 19 March 2019


I baked some lovely muffins at the weekend.  I adapted the recipe from a recipe which I found in The Breakfast Book, by the late Marion Cunningham.    She is the food writer who revised the Fanny Farmer Cookbook, and wrote many other cookbooks in her life and food articles for major publications.  I trust her recipes emphatically.



I have personally worn out three copies of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook, and have her Breakfast Book, her Supper Book and one entitled lost recipes.  All of the recipes are solid gold. You know when you find a cooking writer you can trust, and she was always one of those.



I adapted this recipe by cutting it in half to make a smaller batch, which worked very successfully as well as converting the measurements to metric/European.


Not all recipes convert well to half measures . . . this one did. (Thank goodness!)



The muffins are lovely and moist  . . .  partly because of the yogurt in the batter and from the lemon syrup which gets spooned over top of the  hot muffins when they come out of the oven.



The muffins themselves are not overly sweet. Not a problem.  I don't want my muffins to be like cake.  There is a small amount of sugar in them and a bit of honey.  That's all.


Honey and lemon are beautiful partners.  The lemon flavour in the muffin comes from finely grated lemon zest, a full half TBS.  I think as well a bit of ground cardamom would also go beautifully in these and add a touch of warmth.


You can see that they rose beautifully.  They may not be the most beautiful muffins, but they certainly make up for their lack of beauty in flavour and texture!



I did not use papers when cooking these.  I sussed that they would stick to papers and so I just spritzed a non-stick muffin pan really well with low fat cooking spray.  It worked perfectly.


More lemon flavour comes with that sweet lemon syrup which gets spooned over top of the muffins.  You spoon it over while the muffins when they are hot, so some of it is absorbed, which helps with the moistness as well.


As you can see they have a beautiful texture.  These are in short  . . .  perfect!

Yield: 6

Lemon Yogurt Muffins (small batch)

prep time: 10 minscook time: 15 minstotal time: 25 mins
These yellow muffins with the brown pebbled  tops are fine textured, not too sweet and go especially well with hot drinks.  A lemon syrup is drizzled over the tops of the muffins which makes them lovely and moist and deliciously lemony!

ingredients:

  • 140g plain flour (1 cup)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • pinch salt
  • 2 TBS granulated sugar
  • 1 TBS honey
  • 1 large free range egg
  • 150g full fat plain yogurt (9 1/2 TBS)
  • 30g butter (2 TBS) melted
  • 1/2 TBS finely grated lemon zest
For the syrup:
  • 1 1/2 TBS water
  • 3 TBS lemon juice
  • 3 TBS sugar

instructions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Butter a six cup medium muffin tin really well.
  2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt in a smaller bowl.  Combine the sugar, honey, eggs, yogurt, melted butter and lemon zest in a larger bowl. Beat to combine together well.  Add the dry ingredients all at once and mix together just to combine.  Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling them 2/3 full. (Because of the acid in the yogurt you will see that the batter is already beginning to rise so work quickly!)
  3. Pop into the pre-heated oven and bake for about 15 minutes until delicately browned and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
  4. While the muffins are baking, make the syrup. Combine all of the ingredients in a glass measure which is heat proof.  Place in the microwave.  Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir to dissolve sugar and then microwave until it bubbles and allow it to bubble for about 60 seconds keeping a close watch on it. You should have a thickish syrup.
  5. Once the muffins are cooked, remove from oven and poke holes into the tops with a toothpick or fork.  Spoon the lemon syrup over top allowing it to soak in.  Let cool for a few minutes the remove from the tin and serve warm.
Created using The Recipes Generator



I don't think you can really have too many lemon recipes do you?  Well, I happen to love lemon anything so any recipe . . . sweet or savoury  . . .  that uses lemon works for me! 


I've wanted to show you my kitchen tool set for a while now. I finally got rid of all my old metal ones, and most of my wooden spoons (the ones which were cracked and not very hygienic). When you have invested quality non-stick cookware and bake ware you really want to be using utensils and tools that will prevent them from being scratched.  

This is the Essential Ten Piece Cooking Utensil Set from Myktchn. Designed for a convenient cooking experience, this set of cooking utensils are FDA approved and made from food-grade, heat resistant silicone. Durable and ergonomic, they are the perfect companion for a chef of all levels.  At the same time the larger utensils are quite sturdy due to what appears to be a metal core.  (Smart!)  These are heat resistant,  easy and comfortable to use, dishwasher safe and made to last. 

I love the bright red colour and as you can see the set contains just about every tool utensil you need in the kitchen with both a slotted and normal spoon, a ladle, spaghetti spoon, decent sized egg turner spatula, two sizes of of other spatulas, a set of kitchen tongs, a whisk and a pastry brush.  At the moment they are on a discount offer. If you would like to learn more about them feel free to click through here.

They ship world wide with free shipping on all US orders and only a small charge for world wide shipping. I have always been more than happy with everything I have gotten from them.  Everything always arrives well packaged and in good time.


8 comments

  1. Very cute all red for you:) I bet these are good..we both baked muffs yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like red Monique! Red and blue. Hmmm patriotic I guess! I will have to check out your muffins! These were very good! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Anything with lemon in it and I'm all over it! These sound lovely and I like the idea of a bit of cardamon to the batter - those flavours would go so well together.

    I will get yoghurt tomorrow and try these for afternoon tea.

    The cooking utensils look great. My problem with ordering outside of the EU is the heavy tax they charge here (on both the item AND the postage, no less) plus a hefty £7 "handling fee" that the post office take for collecting the tax. It makes things so expensive, plus a hassle to get - no fault of the manufacturers, but of the government's greed. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea that was a problem Marie! I never get charged anything here for customs, etc. I guess I am lucky that way! I would do if it was over a certain amount of value. I hope you enjoy the muffins! Two days later and they are still fabulous! xoxo

      Delete
  3. After seeing them on IG, I had to come and grab the recipe :) I love lemon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sure to love these! They are fabulous! xo

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious! I agree; I don't like muffins to be too sweet, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are of one mind Lorraine! You will like these I am sure! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!