Sticky Pineapple Chicken

Saturday 9 March 2019






Just as Friday nights are synonymous with Fish & Chip suppers here in the UK, you will find that Saturday nights are takeaway nights, where you will find lots of families treating themselves to an Indian or a Chinese meal! 









In fact, a lot of the Fish & Chip shops, or chippies will also offer curries and Chinese dishes.  You also find plenty of Takeaway shops that are dedicated to one or the other, and of course no end to Chinese or Indian restaurants. 









Our local chippy does Chinese meals, but after trying them once, I found myself feeling highly suspicious of just what we were eating.  I know  . . . it was probably all in my mind, but hey, it is what it is. 








That reminds of of a story told me once upon a time by one of my long time friend's husbands.  He used to work in a Chinese Takeaway/restaurant when he was younger, washing dishes.  He also had a boat.  

He was always afraid of someone stealing his outboard motor for his boat, and he used to take it into the kitchen with him while he was working.  One night he discovered after several hours that his engine had been leaking motor oil into the gravy bucket. 

It would appear that the customers had been getting a little bit extra in their gravy that night! 







True story or exaggeration?  I dunno . . .  but I have worked in enough restaurant kitchens to know that I don't discount anything.  



The stories I could tell you would make your hair curl. (And I did not work in dives.) This is one of the reasons we don't eat out a lot. I like to see the kitchen and I like to see the cook.  Anyways, I digress . . .






Sticky Pineapple Chicken.  This is fabulous! 







If you slice all your vegetables ahead of time, and cube your chicken, stir together the sauce ingredients ready to go . . .








It is a dish that you can have on the table in not much more than 15 minutes, which is less time than it would take for you to get in the car and go to your local takeaway shops! 









Deliciously stick, with just the right amount of sweet, sour and spice . . .  and you know that there is nothing suspicious in it.  Nothing suspicious at all!








Just a few simple ingredients put together in a quick and delicious way!

Yield: 4

Sticky Pineapple Chicken

prep time: cook time: total time:
Chicken, pineapple and peppers  stir fried and combined in a sweet, sticky, lightly spiced sauce.  Quick, easy and delicious.  Any leftovers reheat well.

ingredients:

Stir Fry Ingredients:
  • 1 TBS light olive oil
  • 1 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 each small red, yellow and green pepper
  • 2 spring onions
Sauce Ingredients:
  • 1 567g tin pineapple chunks in juice (20-oz tin) (Juice only, reserve the fruit)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder (not salt)
  • 2 TBS cornflour (cornstarch)
  • 1 TBS rice wine vinegar
  • 1 TBS soy sauce
  • 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
  • 3 TBS soft light brown sugar
  • Sriracha chili sauce to taste (depending on how spicy you want it)
You will also need:
  • Cooked rice to serve

instructions:

  1. Whisk all of the sauce ingredients together.  I use about 1 TBS of the chili paste because I don't like really spicy things. I find that about right.  Set aside until you need it.
  2. Cut your chicken into bite sized pieces.  Trim your peppers, discarding stems, ribs and seeds.  Cut the peppers into thin strips. You should have about 2 cups altogether.  Slice the spring onions thinly on the diagonal.
  3. Heat the oil in a large skillet.  Add the chicken and spread it out into one layer. Sprinkle with salt.  Cook on one side until  golden brown, flip over and cook for a few minutes longer.  Add the peppers.  Stir fry and cook for a couple of minutes, until slightly softened.  Pour the sauce ingredients into the pan. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture bubbles and thickens.  Stir in the pineapple chunks. Cook for a further 6 minutes or so, until the sauce is sticky and everything is well coated.  Stir in the spring onions and serve immediately.

NOTES:

Note - your pineapple juice should equal 180ml/3/4 cup. If it doesn't you can add some orange juice to make up the amount, or water.
Created using The Recipes Generator








I know you must get tired of me saying this, but its true  . . .  this is quick, easy & delicious.  The leftovers also reheat well, which is why I always cook us the full recipe so that we can enjoy the leftovers for lunch the next day.  Yummy scrummy! 




6 comments

  1. This sounds like a tasty meal for a busy day. There's so much you can have prepared in advance, then quickly stir-fry it all up just before serving. I used to love Chinese takeaway and that's one thing I miss, because Chinese restaurants are few and far between in Sweden and there are none in the town where I live. I shall pencil this in to try next week.

    Like you, I make up the full recipe, even though there are only two of us. Sometimes I freeze in the other portions (and that came in so handy recently when I was quite ill with a coughing virus and we could still eat well from a freezer full of food). Sometimes we eat it the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really happy you are feeling much better now Marie. That coughing virus was supposed to be really bad! Thankfully it skipped us this time around! I think you would like this recipe. Its really simple and as you say quick to put together at the last minute if you have everything else prepped! We love it! Its still a treat however because of the sugar, but once in a while you just have to enjoy something special eh? xoxo

      Delete
  2. This sounds delicious..I have fresh pineapple that was cut..thanks for specifying the amount of juice:) looks great!Maybe tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are in for a real treat Monique! I can only imagine how much tastier it will be with fresh pineapple! xo

      Delete
  3. Grins, in America's southwest, we are caught in kind of a dead zone where it comes to certain ethnic cuisines. Lots and lots of wonderful and warm Mexican style foods; Chinese, Italian, even a good sub shop or pizza (groan!), not so much. So, I'm always on the lookout for easy and delicious Chinese-inspired foods. Pineapple chicken is a huge favorite. We will absolutely be enjoying this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do enjoy it Katy! I would love to live where there is plenty of wonderful and warm Mexican food to enjoy! Love, LOVE the stuff! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!