Chocolate Fudge Pudding (Crock Pot)

Friday 19 April 2019





If you are a long time reader of my foodblog you will know that at present I don't have a working oven.  



Well . . .  I can do a few things in it, but not anything precise such as baking cakes, cookies or roasts.  Not quite what I was hoping for a holiday weekend! 






I did want to cook us a bit of a special meal, including a dessert.  I have a cookbook by the Australian Women's Weekly, entitled "Slow Cooking." 



 



It is a fabulous compendium of recipes  to cook long and slow, in the slow cooker (crock pot), stove top or in the oven.   


I had flagged this Chocolate Fudge Pudding a long time ago, and I thought to myself, there is no time like the present!






I have made Chocolate Fudge Pudding in the oven many times, and its a real favourite, but I had never considered doing it in the slow cooker.  


There is also a rice pudding recipe in there I would like to try as well as a bread pudding.  Watch this space.




I didn't want to drag out my large slow cooker however, nor did I want to have to deal with oodles of leftovers, so I threw caution to the wind and halved the recipe.






With great success I might add!  It worked out beautifully, and was done in roughly 3/4 of the time.  


I would start checking it halfway through the recommended cook time just to be sure.







Chocolate Fudge Pudding has always been a real family favourite of ours.  


Its the kind of pudding that goes together simply and then bakes itself pretty much, with the end result being a delicious fudgy cake type of pudding (much like a steamed pudding) 






Along with a rich chocolate sauce that bakes like magic at the bottom of the pudding.







I have never met anyone who doesn't like it, including my husband who says he hates chocolate desserts, but managed to put away two helpings!






It is best served warm  . . . 







When my children were growing up they liked it with cold Vanilla Ice Cream.  My husband, he likes his with cream.  Its delicious either way!

Chocolate Fudge Pudding


Yield: 6
Author:
A delicious gooey chocolate sponge pudding that makes its own sauce.  This cooks in the slow cooker.  You can very successfully cut this in half for the smaller family or smaller appetites.

ingredients:

  • 90g butter (3 ounces) (6 TBS)
  • 180ml milk (3/4 cup)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 190g caster sugar (1 cup)
  • 225g self raising flour (1 1/2 cups + 2 TBS)
  • 2 TBS good quality cocoa powder
  • 1 large free range egg, beaten lightly
  • 200g soft light brown sugar (1 cup, packed)
  • 2 additional TBS of cocoa powder
  • 625ml boiling water (2 1/2 cups)
To serve (optional):
  • pouring cream
  • vanilla ice cream

instructions:

  1. Butter a 4 1/2 litre (18 cup) slow cooker bowl.  Melt the butter in the milk over low heat.  Let cool for several minutes and then stir in the sugar and vanilla.  Sift together the flour and first amount of cocoa powder.  Stir this into the milk /butter mixture along with the egg, mixing all together well.  Pour into the buttered slow cooker bowl.
  2. Sift together the brown sugar and remaining cocoa powder.  Sprinkle evenly over top of the batter in the slow cooker.  Pour the boiling water evenly over all. 
  3. Cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 hours or until firm.  Remove the bowl from the slow cooker.  Let stand five minutes and then spoon out into bowls to serve.  Pass the cream or ice cream!
Created using The Recipes Generator





Store any leftovers in the refrigerator and then reheat gently in the microwave when you go to serve it.  This always goes down a real treat and its nice to know that you can cook it in the slow cooker without heating up the kitchen.  Its also nice to know that you can cut the recipe in half and it will still turn out delicious!  




6 comments

  1. Love your recipes. this is sounds easy and delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! You made my day! xo

      Delete
  2. When I started reading this I was thinking that Todd dislikes chocolate lol, but this will turn even the strongest dislike of chocolate around lo, I have been making this pudding for many years and it’s a family favourite, we also eat it with ice cream, yum! I’m glad Todd approved😁, nothing will stop you from making a lovely meal! Have a Happy Easter !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Laurie, he really does dislike chocolate baked anything, but he quite liked this for some odd reason! Happy Easter! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Marie, I never miss reading your recipes. I've made this recipe in the oven but never in the slow cooker and want to try that. Since I live alone, I want to do like you did and make just half the recipe. Only thing is, this recipe calls for one egg. Did you still use one egg when you halved the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I beat up the egg and only used half of it Judy! It worked quite well. You could probably also use a pee wee sized egg. Thanks so much for your sweet comment! Happy Easter, I hope you enjoy the pudding! (ps- you can scramble the remainder of the egg along with another one for your supper or make an omelette, so nothing goes to waste!)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!