Big-Time Peanut Butter Cookies

Saturday 4 May 2019


Like most people I have my own favourite recipes that I rely on and like to use often, but sometimes I also like to shake things up a bit and try something different.  Usually when I bake Peanut Butter Cookies, I use my tried and true "Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies" recipe. 

 photo SAM_7869_zpsf5d9dc9a.jpg 

That is the one I have been baking for over 40 years and the one that we love the most.  Sometimes I am tempted however to try something different.   



I am also trying to use my cookbooks so that I know which ones to keep and which ones to give away. This book, The Weekend Baker by Abigail Johnson Dodge is one I have had for a long time and I confess, I have never baked anything from.  I don't know why.   Today I cracked it open to have a gander through and this Big-Time Peanut Butter Cookie recipe caught my eye.



Peanut Butter is one of my favourite things upon the earth.  I am never without an open jar and a reserve jar in the house.  It is just something I can't bring myself to live without.  Skippy is my preferred brand.  I buy it by the HUGE jar at Costco. I must confess, I am not fond of any type of British peanut butter, and I have pretty much tried them all. 



This recipe is a bit unusual in that the only fat in it is the peanut butter  . . .  no butter or shortening in sight . . .


It also only uses five other ingredients if you count the candy covered chocolate buttons.  The author used mini M&M's, but we can't find them here so I used mini candy covered cake decorating chocolate balls.


You cream the peanut butter together with soft light brown sugar, only 3/4 of a cup . . . creaming them until they are well combined. 


You can use an electric whisk for this, or you can be lazy like me and use a wooden spoon rather than drag out the mixer.  After that you beat in an egg . . .  and some vanilla.


You can't have a peanut butter cookie without some vanilla in it can you! 



After that you only need to stir in the flour.  The dough is a really stiff dough  . . . 



I was quite surprised actually . . .  I had not expected this stiff a dough . . .  it was a bit difficult stirring in the chocolate bits but I persevered . . .


After that you shape them into ping pong sized balls, about 2 TBS and place them well spaced on the baking sheet, pressing them down slightly with a fork  . . .



They smelled really rich and peanut buttery when they were baking  . . .  very taste-bud tingling!


I had thought they might spread out a bit, but they really didn't spread out much. Hmmm . . .  I wasn't too sure about this . . .  I broke one open and tasted it.  Very dense  . . .  fudgy almost like a brownie.



I wasn't too sure if I was going to be that fond of them  . . .  but they were still warm.  An hour later, I tried one again once they were completely cold and I fell in love. These turned out fabulous!  I was really pleased!

Big-Time Peanut Butter Cookies


Yield: 20
Author:
The only fat in these cookies is the peanut butter. Make sure you use a good one!  Dense and fudgy, and using only five other ingredients.  Simple.

ingredients:

  • 285g smooth or crunchy peanut butter (1 1/3 cups) (I like Skippy), at room temperature
  • 170g soft light brown sugar (3/4 cup, packed)
  • 1 large free range egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 35g plain flour (1/4 cup)
  • 170g mini candy coated chocolate bits (optional) (1 cup)

instructions:

How to cook Big-Time Peanut Butter Cookies

  1. Preheat the oven to 18-*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Line two baking sheets with baking paper.  Set aside.
  2. Cream the peanut butter and sugar together until  well blended.  Beat in the egg and vanilla.  Stir in the flour until well combined.  The mixture will be very stiff.  Stir in the chocolate bits if using.
  3. Shape 2 TBS of the dough into a ball and place  2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.  Press down lightly with a fork.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes, until puffed and looking dry on top.  Let rest on the baking sheets for about 10 minutes before scooping off onto wire racks to cool completely. 
  5. Store in an airtight container.
Created using The Recipes Generator



While I am not sure that these will totally replace my regular peanut butter cookie recipe, I am sure that they are cookies I will bake again.  They were quick to make and really do taste fabulous!  Dense, fudgy and really chock full of rich peanut butter flavour.  I am not sure I would do the chocolate candy addition again however.  They might be better with mini M&M's instead of what I had to use.  The author also suggests drizzling them with melted chocolate.  I think that would be really tasty also!  In any case I declare these winner/winners! 



6 comments

  1. I am always trying new too ans just made some that turned out delish,had Crisco the dreaded word:)These look good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a crisco snob Monique! I use it and don't feel guilty about it. It does have its uses! It can't be any worse for you than coconut oil! These are very good! I wasn't sure at first, but when they cooled right down, I was all wowsa! These are great! If I make them again I will leave out the chocolate bits though. xoxo

      Delete
  2. I'm a big fan of peanut butter, too and we always have an opened jar on hand. I like the idea of not having the added shortening. It may save some calories? (smile) Will have to try these. ~Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no calories in looking or smelling Elaine, lol. Hope you enjoy them! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I just made these yesterday and they’re soft and delicious. Just what I was looking for! Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased that you made them, enjoyed them and then took the time to come back and share your experience. Thank you so much! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!