Sirloin Steak with a Ginger Butter Sauce

Monday 20 May 2019


I could quite happily become a Vegetarian but for one thing.  Every now and then I really enjoy a nice steak.  Its not something we eat really often . . .  red meat, but as a treat we maybe have it once or twice a month.


The Toddster likes pork chops  . . .  me . . .  I will always go for a good steak.  I am at the point now where I never order steak if we are out for dinner however  . . .



I've had far too many disappointing badly cooked steaks to want to waste my money on them when eating out.  I would rather buy a good one and cook it at home. Myself. 



I have come to realise that that is the only way I am going to get what I want. Sad but true. 



When I was growing up my mom and dad used to buy a hind of beef every year and put it into the freezer. My mother cooked beautiful Swiss Steak . . .  it was the best . . .  and a lovely roast of beef . . .  but she couldn't really cook a regular steak.


She never liked getting the stove dirty or anything splattering on it, and so she more or less stewed the steaks on low rather than searing them over a high heat.


Its that initial sear that packs in and seals in all the flavours.  I sear.  I'm not bothered about a dirty stove.


Today I used sirloin steaks, cut about 1 inch thick, with a nice mix of marbling throughout so they were juicy and tender . . .


We like our steaks between medium rare and rare . . .  with a beautifully  well-seared surface . . . .


It gets a simple treatment.  Room temperature.  Wiped dry. Chinese five spice and black pepper rubbed into the surface before searing . . .


The sauce is sublime . . .  delicious . . . and goes wonderfully  . . .


Its just butter, grated fresh ginger, water and soy sauce  . . . and it is Perfection with a capital "P."

Yield: 4
Author:

Sirloin Steak with a Ginger Butter Sauce

Tender & juicy, perfectly cooked steaks with a fabulous sauce with oriental undertones.  The flavour impact of simple ingredients put together in a simple yet effective way can never be underestimated.

ingredients:

  • 3 sirloin steaks, each about 1 inch thick and weighing 10 - 12 ounces each
  • 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 TBS flavourless vegetable oil
  • 3 TBS unsalted butter
  • 2 TBS grated fresh ginger root
  • 120ml water (1/2 cup)
  • 4 tsp soy sauce

instructions:

How to cook Sirloin Steak with a Ginger Butter Sauce

  1. Wipe your steaks and pat them dry with some paper kitchen towelling. (Bring them to room temperature first.)  Rub them all over with the five spice powder and some freshly ground black pepper.
  2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  When it starts to shimmer and you know it is really hot, add the steaks.  Cook on both sides until well browned, about 3 to 5 minutes per side, depending on thickness.  Remove to a plate and tent with foil.  Set aside.
  3. Wipe the skillet out of any burnt bits. (Its okay to leave some brown bits as they will add flavour to the sauce.)  Add the butter and melt over medium heat.  Add the ginger and cook until fragrant.  Stir in the water and soy sauce, scraping up any brown bits with a wooden spoon.  Simmer over medium heat until the sauce is slightly thickened. 
  4. Slice the steaks and drizzle with the sauce to serve.
Created using The Recipes Generator



You could also grill the steak on the BBQ, but then you wouldn't have the benefit of the seared meat juices helping to flavour the sauce.  It would still be quite tasty nevertheless.  Enjoy! 



2 comments

  1. Sounds good..your mom sounds like me lol..I do get my stove top dirty but clean it right away..it's black ceramic and I like it to shine..those smooth surfaces need maintenance.Everything splatters on it.
    Steak we rarely eat..once you've had one of my son-in-laws steaks..nothing compares lol:) Really!!
    Red meat is rarely on the menu here..a bbq'd burger once in a while..cottage pies..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your son in law sounds like an excellent cook. I would love to taste one of his steaks! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!