Pork Chops & Sauerkraut

Tuesday 18 June 2019


I have always adored Sauerkraut.  My grandfather used to make his own and kept it in a crock down in the cellar of their home. My mother often told the story of her being ill as a child and her Grandmother giving her some of the brine from off the sauerkraut on a spoon, and how it made her better.


My mom would cook us a mess of it, every now and then when I was a child.  Sometimes with chunks of ham, other times with pork, sometimes with pickled pork (my favourite!), sometimes even frankfurters.  Always with mashed potatoes on the side. 


My favourite way to eat it was to take my mashed potatoes, top them with a knob of butter and then mash the kraut into the potatoes!  I love everything about sauerkraut . . .  the smell when its cooking, the taste . . .  everything. It is one of my favourite things!


Back home you can buy it in waxed cartons (just like milk cartons) and you can also buy turnip kraut in the same way. (also delicious)  Most of it comes from the South Shore (Nova Scotia), around Lunenburg/Bridgewater way.  A  lot of Germans settled in that area.  And my Grandfather in fact came from an area known as New Germany.


This is one of my favourite ways to cook it now.  Your pork chops end up deliciously tender  . . .  and the sauerkraut gets flavoured a bit from the pork. Num num!


I also add onion and apple to the sauerkraut  . . .  and bacon.  Mmmm . . .  bacon.


I add a touch of caraway seed as well, but you can leave it out if it is not to your taste and you don't like it. Some people are not fond of caraway I know . . . 



This time I had ultra thick bone in loin chops that I had bought at Costco one time. I only used two of them and there was plenty for us to enjoy for two meals.  I think the meat at Costco is beautiful.  I have never been disappointed.


Of course, just as in childhood . . .  I accompanied this delicious entree with some fluffy white mashed potatoes.


We had the leftovers for dinner the day after and if anything they tasted even better. That is often the way with things like this.



Mom always said cooking things like this and then letting them "ripen" overnight was the secret to their deliciousness.  It is the same with most things like spaghetti sauce, stew, chili, etc.

Pork Chops & Sauerkraut


Yield: 4
Author: Marie Rayner
A delicious hearty casserole.  Tender bone in pork loin chops cook atop a delicious sauerkraut mixture for a delicious meal. All you need is some mashed potatoes on the side, or baked, or boiled as you prefer!

ingredients:

  • 4 bone in loin pork chops
  • 1 TBS  light olive oil
  • 6 slices streaky bacon
  • 1 large onion, peeled and diced
  • 2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
  • 1 (795g) jar of sauerkraut, drained (28 oz jar)
  • 1 TBS brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
  • 1 tsp caraway seeds
  • coarse black pepper to taste
  • 60ml water (1/4 cup)

instructions:

How to cook Pork Chops & Sauerkraut

  1. Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Have ready a baking dish large enough to hold all of the pork chops in a single layer.
  2. Brown the bacon in a skillet until crispy.  Remove and set aside.
  3. Add the oil to the pan drippings (if needed) and heat.  Season the chops on both sides with salt and black pepper.  Brown them lightly on both sides and set aside. 
  4. Add the the onions to the skillet and start to soften. After a few minutes, remove about half and set aside. Add the apples to the skillet and cook for a few minutes longer.  Add the sauerkraut, water, brown sugar, caraway seed and black pepper to taste and mix well together.  Chop the bacon and stir in.  Bring to the boil, then turn the whole mixture into the baking dish.  Place the chops on top.  Scatter the reserved onions on top of the chops.  Cover with foil and then roast in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes, until golden.
  5. I like to serve this with fluffy mashed potatoes.
Created using The Recipes Generator



We only just had this the other day and looking at these photos makes me want to make it all over again!  Funny how that goes.  I guess I could never get tired of eating sauerkraut, and that's the truth!



11 comments

  1. This is exactly the way we have prepared this dish in our family too ! We always had a barrel of sauerkraut fermenting! One of my favourite means as well, makes me hungry just looking at it lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH me too Laurie! I could eat it all over again, and not even need the pork! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I just bought a new SK..:) The beautiful artisan jar sold me..haven't had any in yrs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love beautiful jars also Monique! I will even buy things I don't like just for the jars! xoxo

      Delete
  3. My dad used to have a crock of sauerkraut in the basement too! I'm not surprised that your mother though it had cured her...homemade sauerkraut contains fabulous probiotics! All the rage today, but your grandmother knew instinctively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure die Checkered Sox. My sister still makes her own and she swears by its probiotic properties! xoxo

      Delete
  4. In Pennsylvania's Amish country here in the States, Pork & Sauerkraut is the traditional dish for New Year's. Don't know if it's just a local thing or if Amish in other places do it too, but it's everywhere here around year's end. I'm not much of a sauerkraut fan myself, but I do like it with mashed potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure Marty, probably more Amish than anything. It is also a very German thing and comes to me via my German Ancestry! xoxo

      Delete
  5. What Apple goes best with this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to use any apple which has a nice strong flavour, slightly tart, with a firm texture. One that won’t fall apart when cooked. Don’t use Bramley. I recommend a Granny Smith !

      Delete
  6. Hi Marie, I just had to contact you and tell you how delicious we thought this meal was tonight. I made it as a welcome home dish after they were ice fishing in upstate New York for a few days. It surpassed my expectations ( I tried to follow it exactly). I used granny Smith apples ; I see in the comments that you do as well. My husband and son gave rave reviews and I heard many yummy sounds. It will definitely be in my rotation in the future. Looking forward to seeing what other great recipes you have.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!