Bagel Chips

Friday 19 July 2019


What I am showing you today is not so much a recipe as it is a technique, although I will certain give you a tasty recipe that you might want to make at the end!  Bagel Chips.  These crisp delicious crisp snack breads are so simple to make and you will find that they come in handy all year round, especially if you are entertaining!  I would probably even go so far as to say that if you have these in the house, you got a party in the making! 



All you need for them is a bag of bagels (use your favourite kinds) some kind of fat for spreading on them, and a seasoning sprinkle.  Today I did them three ways so I could compare the taste.


I did a batch with olive oil, a batch with sunflower oil and a batch with softened butter.  All three I used the same Italian garlic seasoning on.  Can you guess which was the tastiest to me?  No surprise there  . . . butter.   As you can see they also got a bit crisper with the butter as well.



You will want your bagels to be a bit stale as they will be easier to slice thinner the harder they are.  Use a serrated knife. I got about 5 slices from each bagel.  I don't recommend using cinnamon raisin ones as the raisins will burn, but I can't think of another kind that wouldn't work well.


Just brush them well on both sides with your preferred fat/oil.  Then sprinkle with seasoning.    I used Garlic Italian today, but seasoning salt would work well . . .  your own herb mixture.  Whatever floats your boat. 



I had my oven temperature at 230*C/425*F/ gas mark 7, which worked very well.  They took less than five minutes at that temperature.  Be careful not to slice them too thin as they will burn if they are too thin.


Try to brush the fat on as evenly as you can  . . . so you don't get pale spots, that is where butter worked better than the other fats . . . it actually spreads whereas the oils tended to soak into spots, even though I was using a brush and brushing it over top.


The thinner ones are crisper, but all are quite nice  . . .



Kind of like bagel shaped melba toasts.  Crisp and ready to spread with your favourite spread . . .


I highly recommend this Smoked Salmon Spread which is really popular around here during the holidays, but its also nice for your summer get-togethers!  It was something I often made when I worked at the Manor!  You can buy smoked salmon off cuts for this without a problem. They are perfect for such a dish. I always get my smoked salmon here. Its the best.

Smoked Salmon Spread

Yield: Makes 2 cups
Author:
Serve this delicious spread with breadsticks, crackers or slices of toasted baguette.  Deliciously different!

ingredients:

  • 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature (340g)
  • 1/3 cup dairy sour cream (40g)
  • 6 dashes of Tabasco sauce
  • 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
  • 3 spring onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
  • 3 TBS capers, rinsed and drained
  • 8 ounces smoked salmon, coarsely chopped
  • 3 TBS chopped fresh dill, or 1 TBS dried dill tops
  • fresh ground black pepper to taste
  • fresh dill to garnish

instructions:

How to cook Smoked Salmon Spread

  1. Put the cream cheese, sour cream, Tabasco sauce and lemon juice in a food processor. Blitz to combine. Add the spring onions, capers, salmon, chopped dill and pepper. Pulse to blend. Scrape into a serving bowl. Garnish with the dill and serve chilled or at room temperature. Fabulous!
Created using The Recipes Generator



What more can I say, but these are incredibly moreish.  Especially the butter ones.  I find myself wondering now what if I made cinnamon toast ones?  And served them with a cream cheese dip  . . .  hmmm . . . sounds tasty . . .  the wheels are turning! 



11 comments

  1. Love bagel chips. What a super great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie! Maybe for one of your wine parties! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Do you know, I have never eaten a bagel! I imagine them as being quite dry and lacking in flavour...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A proper made bagel is a thing of beauty Toffeeapple. I have eaten fresh bagels from a Jewish Baker on Avenue Road in Toronto, Canada and they were like heaven on earth. Moist and chewy and oh so tasty. You didn't even need to put anything on them but we did! Lots of cream cheese, jam, smoked salmon (not all together!). Sadly I have never found a bagged bagel (from the grocery store) yet that came even close. If you have a Jewish bakery in your neighborhood, check them out! The store ones are perfect for these bagel chips however! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Thanks Marie. There is a great dearth of anything Jewish where I live and the closest baker is about seven miles away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one day if you are feeling really industrious, you can attempt to make your own Toffeeapple! Fresh bagels are a thing of great beauty taste wise! xoxo

      Delete
  4. OMG, Duh, never thought of making these when I had old store-bought bagels! I'd definitely do them Italian and use them as garlic bread with pasta.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!