Rich Banana Bread

Monday 22 July 2019

  
This is probably one of my favourite Banana Breads. It is the one I used to make for my boss when I worked at the Manor.  The Mr loved it for breakfast in the mornings.


For him I would have to toast it beneath the grill in the toaster oven until it was golden brown and crisp on the edges, almost burnt, but not quite.  He wanted it very crisp.


After that I would lay slivers of cold sweet butter onto its surface and serve it to him on a hot plate while the butter was still melting down into those crisp edges and golden surface . . .  he really did enjoy it.


No small wonder as it is a truly beautiful banana bread.  Moist and rich.  It is the sour cream that makes it so  . . . 



He liked it with toasted pecan nuts . . .  I prefer it with toasted English walnuts  . . .  a love that hearkens back to my father's own love for walnuts  . . . maple walnut was his favourite ice cream.  As it is mine.


I like to sprinkle more chopped walnuts onto the surface of the loaf prior to baking  . . .  they look really nice sitting there on top . . .


This is a loaf that cuts beautifully on the first day.  Most loaves you need to wait overnight to slice.  Not this one.


Todd enjoys it in thick slices spread with softened butter . . .


It really is a lovely bread, on the first day, and on the second day, the third, the fourth  . . .  and so on and so on . . .trust me when I say you won't have it hanging around for long.

Yield: one medium loaf
Author:

Rich Banana Bread

Moist and delicious and studded with crunchy toasted walnuts. Everything a good banana bread should be.

ingredients:

  • 120g butter, melted (1/2 cup)
  • 190g sugar (1 cup)
  • 2 large free range eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 210g plain flour (1 1/2 cups)
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 60g sour cream (1/2 cup)
  • 60g chopped toasted walnuts, plus more to sprinkle on top (1/2 cup)
  • 2 medium bananas peeled and pureed

instructions:

How to cook Rich Banana Bread

  1. Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Butter a medium loaf tin (9X5) and line with baking paper. Set aside.
  2. Sift the flour, soda and salt together. Set aside.
  3. Whisk together the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture until smooth, then fold in the sour cream and bananas. Stir in the walnuts. Spread batter in the prepared pan, levelling the top. Sprinkle with a few more walnut pieces if desired.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, until well rise and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave in the tin to cool for about 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into slices to serve. We like it buttered. Store any leftovers in an airtight container and use within 4 to 5 days. This also freezes well.
Created using The Recipes Generator



I had this bottle of Monin Butterscotch syrup and I thought it would add a special touch to just brush some of it on top of the loaf while it was still warm . . .


I think I was inspired . . .  it made something which was already perfectly delicious even more so!



4 comments

  1. Look forward to trying this recipe when it's cool enough to use the oven.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!