Country Style Casserole

Monday 26 August 2019






When I was a young newly-wed, I relied a lot on magazines and newspaper clippings for new and delicious recipes to cook for my husband and growing family.  
 


I did not own many cookery books at the time. I had The Fanny Farmer Cookbook, and several volumes from the BHG Cooking Library. 









There was no Internet to source recipes from. Half the time recipes did not even have photographs to go along with them. 

 
You really didn't have much of an idea of how they were supposed to look when done, or how they were going to taste. 









Another way of gleaning tasty recipes was to have them shared with you via family and friends. Those were the best  recipes of all.


 
 You knew that if they were tasty enough for people to want to share them with you, then they were tasty full stop!








This recipe comes from my ex MIL, Elizabeth.  She also gave me my basic fried rice recipe, which was one she had gotten from one of her neighbours when she was living in Winnipeg. 


 
Both recipes used prepared minute rice, which was (I'm ashamed to say) pretty much the only rice that we used back in the day.








I didn't grow up in a household that served rice.  The only rice I had ever eaten came from Chinese restaurants, so minute rice was my bar of experience. 

 
 
Thankfully I have grown tons since then and now I would rather die than serve anyone minute rice.







This recipe I am sharing is for a delicious casserole type of side dish. Country Style Casserole.  The card on which it is written is yellowed with age and stained. 
 



It is one of my tried and true treasures. It is a recipe which has withstood the test of time.









Cooked rice is mixed with grated carrots, almost but not quite in equal measure  . . .  and sliced spring onions . . . the original recipe only called for one, but I think two is better.
 


I love recipes that you can tweak a bit here and there to make them your own. 


 






Added to the mix is a good quality mayonnaise.  I have my favourite, and you probably have yours.  
 


If I am not using homemade, I am using Hellman's. It is the best in my opinion, but I am open to trying new things.








Mom always used Miracle Whip.  I still miss Miracle Whip  . . .  it was the best on a fresh Tomato Sandwich, in the summer, fresh tomatoes from the garden, on soft white bread, with salt and black pepper.  
 


To me this is the taste of summer. A fresh tomato sandwich with miracle whip. I think mom had a tomato sandwich for lunch just about every day of her life!







But I digress  . . .  along with the mayonnaise you will need one large free range egg, lightly beaten.  I only use free range, rspca approved (if I can get them) eggs.  I like to think I am eating happy eggs from happy chickens. 
 


If I could, I would have my own chickens, and they would all have names. Names like Ditsy and Fluffybutt, and Little Red. They would be like family.







Along with the egg, carrot, mayo, and onion there is also cheese, whole milk and seasoning.  Remember cheese is salty. I use a good old strong cheddar as it has a beautiful flavour and I choose un-dyed white cheddar.  
 


There is enough orange in there from the carrots.  Poured into a baking dish, tightly covered and baked, this casserole is really delicious and goes well with just about everything.  Its even great on it's own.  
 


A sprinkle of chopped parsley and voila!  A delicious side that doesn't cause you to break into even the least amount of a sweat.



Country Style Casserole


Yield: 6
Author:
This deliciously  easy casserole goes together very quickly, especially if you use a ready cooked pouch of rice.  Gleaned from a magazine ad, the original recipe used prepared minute rice, which I might have used once upon a time, but would never use now. Instead I like to use brown rice. I have been making this tasty side dish for years!

ingredients:

  • 320g cooked rice (2 cups) (Use your favourite, long grain, basmati, brown)
  • 165g peeled and grated carrot (1 1/2 cups)
  • 120g grated strong cheddar cheese (1 cup, old cheddar) (I like the white)
  • 110g good quality mayonnaise (1/2 cup)
  • 80ml whole milk (1/3 cup)
  • 1 large free range egg, lightly beaten
  • 2 spring onions (scallions) thinly sliced
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • chopped parsley to garnish

instructions:

How to cook Country Style Casserole

  1. Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter a 1 litre/4 cup casserole dish.
  2. Mix together all of the ingredients, seasoning to taste with some salt and black pepper.  Pour into the buttered casserole dish.  Cover tightly and bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes. 
  3. Remove from the oven, uncover, sprinkle with parsley flakes and serve immediately!
Created using The Recipes Generator






We enjoyed this with a Costco rotisserie chicken and some runner beans from the garden.  It was a quick, easy and quite enjoyable meal.   If you have a vegetarian in your life this would make a great main dish, especially if you add some toasted nuts.



This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com 



Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 



 Follow my blog with Bloglovin




12 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Its really good Monique. Did you ever use Minute Rice when you were younger? lol I am ashamed to say I did now! My mom had a box of minute rice in her cupboard the last time I was home. It was pretty old! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is excellent Jeanie! I highly recommend! xoxo

      Delete
  3. I always forget that to North Americans a casserole is not meat and vegetables covered in stock and cooked in the oven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Toffeeapple! To North Americans a casserole is anything that is combined and cooked in the same dish, which obviously could be meat and vegetables, but usually is not. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Have enjoy this casserole numerous times since you published the recipes. Have you tried adding cooked meat? I have left over pork roast and thought it might be a good addition. Thanks again for another tasty recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mam! I can't see why you could't add some meat. Pork sounds lovely! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Looks good. I still you minute rice on occasion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they had Minute Rice here Julie, but they don't. It comes in very handy at times. xoxo

      Delete
  6. I might use a sliced leek and add the spring onions as garnish. May also do mayo and sour cream halves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That certainly sounds delicious and I can't see why it wouldn't work! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!