Salami & Cheese Omelette

Friday 2 August 2019


We've been working at sorting out a few rooms in the house lately and spent a good part of today getting our guest bedroom ready for guests we are going to have in about a week and a half's time.  I didn't really feel like cooking a huge dinner for us after that.  What with changing beds, sorting out a few other things.  Hoovering, and replacing the towel rack that fell off the wall mid-job . . . and its hot and muggy today . . .


I had a packet of this in the refrigerator that was about to reach its use by date.  I started thinking about how Jewish people like to eat salami and eggs and always rave about how tasty they are together.  I am sure that it is probably kosher beef salami, but I thought why not use the Italian??? Why indeed! 



There were two kinds of salami in the packet . . .  Napoli, rich and peppery with whole black peppercorns  . . . 


Garlicky Ungherese  . . . .  and of course sliced provolone cheese, beautifully oozy, melty . . .  rich. 



There was just enough in the packet for two lovely omelets.  I used five large free range eggs.  I only ever use free range eggs, and if I can find them I buy RSPCB approved eggs.  I want to only eat eggs that are produced in a humane environment.


If I could, I would have my own chickens, but I don't think our city garden is the right environment for raising chickens . . . 


I added a few torn basil leaves for a bit of freshness  . . .


and pan-fried some potatoes and onions for Todd to enjoy along with his . . .


The end result was something quite rich and delicious.  We both enjoyed this very much.



Todd also enjoyed some white toast along with his.  I just cannot covert that man to whole wheat!


Quite obviously white bread hasn't done him any harm. He's going to be 81 in September and is incredibly fit and healthy for his age!  He could run circles around a lot of men younger than himself! 


Yield: 2
Author:

Salami & Cheese Omelet

Two delicious single sized omelets created to use what I had in the fridge.  Serve with some pan fried potatoes and toast for a hearty meal.

ingredients:

  • butter to grease the pan
  • 5 large free range eggs beaten lightly with 2 TBS whole milk
  • 6 thin slices of Napoli salami
  • 6 thin slices of Ungherese salami
  • 6 slices of provolone cheese
  • a few torn basil leaves
  • salt and black pepper to taste

instructions:

How to cook Salami & Cheese Omelet

  1. Beat the eggs together with the milk to combine well.  Melt 1 tsp butter in a 6-inch non-stick skillet.  Once it begins to foam, pour in half of the beaten egg mixture.   Cook over medium low heat, lifting the edges occasionally to allow some of the raw egg to flow beneath.  When the eggs are almost set  tear a few basil leaves over top and add half of the salami meats and half of the provolone cheese, placing it on only half of the eggs in the pan.  Place a lid on top and allow to heat through.  Remove the lid. Fold the plain side of the omelet over to cover the meat and cheese and slide onto a heated plate.  Keep warm while you repeat for the other omelet.  Serve immediately with buttered toast and pan fried potatoes if you wish.  Allow individuals to salt and pepper their own omelets.  These meats can be both salty and peppery, so not much will be needed.
Created using The Recipes Generator



We are enjoying new potatoes from the garden at the moment, gifted to us from our friends Tina and Tony!  They are great for fried potatoes and potato salads.  I just scrub them up really well, cut into cubes and they fry them in a bit of butter and oil along with some chopped onion until they are cooked through and golden brown.




4 comments

  1. Hi Marie, I received my PDF of Hello Canada, featuring you. That was so generous of you. I love it and can't wait to make the recipes. My family loves your recipes. Thank you, Dale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much Dale! I am pleased you like it! xoxo

      Delete
  2. No magazine here yet:( Good use of something from le frigo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to throw anything away Monique and I was close to having to throw the meats, so I thought I better use them up! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!