Apple Pie Danish

Sunday 15 September 2019







I always like to bake my husband a treat at the weekend.  Because we are both retired, the weekend can easily blend into our weeks, so I like to do something which marks these two days apart from the other five.  


It is so easy to lose your weekend when you are not working any longer.  I try to mark Saturday and Sunday as still being special days in our lives. 








For the most part (with a few exceptions) I only bake at the weekend.  Sunday is set apart because that is the day we go to church.  


We don't shop on Sundays or order takeaways, we have designated Sunday as our day of rest.








I usually try to make my husband something special to enjoy with his early morning cuppa. I am not one much for hot drinks, but  he is so British . . . .   he really needs his morning hot cuppa. 






That can be a barley cup, or a hot chocolate, sometimes an herbal tea. 


 So long as it it wet and hot, he is happy.  Adding a tasty bake into the mix increases his joy factor two-fold!




Especially when it is something as delicious as these Apple Pie Danish!  Yum yum!








These quick and easy drop Danish are bound to become a real favourite of yours as well.  I confess they use a prepared Baking Mix.  


I make my own from scratch and keep it in the freezer (as it is sometime I don't use really often.)  You can find my recipe for that mix here







If you are not keen to make your own from scratch, you can use Bisquick or Tea Bisk, which is what I used to use many moons ago. 


Do they even still make it?  Or has Bisquick taken over?  






You add some sugar and cinnamon to the baking mix and then you cut in some butter.  Milk is stirred into give you a thick yet still drop-able mixture.  

Not as thin as cake batter, but not so thick that you feel the need to roll it out. 





You then drop the dough by heaped dessert spoons onto a lined baking sheet.  If you look at these spoons above the second spoon from the left is a dessert spoon.  (The others are from left to right, Soup, Tea and Coffee spoons.)






I use a small damp teaspoon to make a dip in the centre of each mound of dough.  I dampen it so that the dough doesn't stick to it.  Makes it a lot easier.






The centre is filled with chunky applesauce.  I make my own but you can use any good store brand chunky applesauce. If you want to make your own you can find my recipe here.






I like it to be a bit chunky so I don't mash the apples up too much. It is lightly sweetened.  You can add cinnamon and nutmeg to it, but I like it just plain.






You spoon a bit of this applesauce into the hollows and then you bake them.  Don't be overly generous with the applesauce, but don't be stingy either.  


Bear in mind that sauces like this can expand when baking, especially if they have sugar in them.





You bake them for about 15 minutes, until they are puffed and golden brown all over and especially on the bottoms.




Scoop them off onto wire racks to cool just a bit and then glaze with a cinnamon glaze.  Easy peasy.




Todd really  REALLY enjoys these.  I think apple anything is his favourite thing! 


Yield: 12
Author:

Apple Pie Danish

ingredients:

  • 280g of baking mix (2 cups)
  • 1/4 tsp each cinnamon & ground nutmeg
  • 2 TBS sugar
  • 65g of butter, softened (1/4 cup)
  • 156ml milk (2/3 cup)
  • chunky applesauce (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 tsp each cinnamon & ground nutmeg
For the glaze:
  • 90g icing sugar (2/3 cup confectioners sugar)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
  • 1 TBS warm water
  • few drops vanilla extract

instructions:

How to cook Apple Pie Danish

  1. Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7. Lightly butter a baking sheet.
  2. Measure the baking mix, sugar and spices into a bowl. Whisk to combine. Drop in the butter and using a fork, cut it in until crumbly. Stir in the milk. You should have a nice stiff but drop-able dough. Drop by rounded dessertspoons onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between each one. Using the back of a damp spoon make a well in the centre of each. Drop one heaped teaspoon of applesauce into each well.
  3. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown, and browned on the bottoms. Remove from the oven. Whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle this over top of the danish while still warm and serve immediately
Created using The Recipes Generator






I confess that I really enjoy them also, even if I really shouldn't.  I know  . . . . Me<----- little="" nbsp="" no="" or="" p="" willpower.="">

Up tomorrow: Pork Fried Rice and Chicken Tenders with Oriental BBQSauce.




6 comments

  1. Oh goodness....these look wonderful! Definitely going to try. (Probably a bad idea to visit your blog when I have to fast for a procedure tomorrow, eh?) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is probably not a smart Idea. Hope it goes well! And I hope one day you can try the recipe! xoxo

      Delete
  2. please reprint your bisquick recipe as the link did not work tried online but could not find a metric recipe and so want to make these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roma! So sorry about that. It was originally saved to my online page on Google where I stored all my older recipes for printing. They recently took all of their pages down. Most annoying. In any case I have stored it on here. Here is the link. You will have to copy and print unfortunately as it is not a printable recipe just yet. Sorry for any inconvenience.

      https://www.theenglishkitchen.co/p/homemade-baking-mix.html

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!