Coffee Cake

Saturday 19 October 2019


Despite my ailing back, I was determined to bake my husband a cake for the weekend. He does love a special treat at the weekend and I do like to spoil him.  Normally it is a Victoria Sponge or some such. This week I decided to really bake him a treat.

A Coffee Cake.  Not as in a cake you eat with coffee, but a cake which is coffee flavoured. A delicious cake. A, just a tiny sliver more cake.


I adapted this recipe from The Women's Institute cookery book entitled, Vintage Tea Time by Jessica Simmons.  

It is a lovely little book composed of WI approved Afternoon Tea appropriate recipes.



You just know that if a recipe has the Women's Institute seal of approval, it has to be good! 



The Women's Institute was formed in 1915 with the aim of revitalizing rural communities and encouraging women to become more pro-active in producing food during the First World War. 

Since then their aim has broadened and it is now the largest voluntary women's organization in the UK.


It is also known to be a leading authority on home cooking. It is an organization which plays a unique role in providing women all over the country with educational opportunities.

Along with the change to build new skills, take part in a wide variety of activities and to campaign on issues that are important to them and their communities.


They also run a the WI Cookery School in Denman College, Oxfordshire, providing a whole range of courses designed to suit students of all abilities and interests.


I had a quick gander through the book this morning and settled on the Coffee Cake, as I thought it one that my husband would enjoy.

It also didn't require a whole lot of faffing about!  We all know I can be lazy at times.


In North America Coffee Cakes are usually quite dense and meant to be enjoyed for breakfast or brunch with hot mugs of coffee.  

This is not that kind of coffee cake.



Instead this is a light and airy cake, which derives its name from the use of strong coffee to flavour both the batter and the butter cream.


You can also use coffee essence/extract if you have it.  

We don't drink regular black or green tea or coffee for religious reasons, but I do have coffee extract to use in baking.


The cake is filled with a lush butter cream frosting, also flavoured with coffee and abundantly filled with chopped walnuts.


I always toast my nuts before I use them.  

They just taste nuttier!  Toasting really enhances their natural flavours. Its not hard to do. Just pop them onto a baking sheet and then into a moderate oven (350*F/180*C)  They will be perfectly toasted in about 10 minutes.

You will be able to tell when they are done because your kitchen will smell all nutty toasty.


It only takes a few minutes and makes a world of difference flavorwise.  

The top of the cake is garnished with a dusting icing sugar.


If you wish to mark out the servings you can very cleverly lay a grid on the top using wooden or metal skewers. 

This was how it looked in the book.  I thought it was very clever and  very pretty.


At the head of each wedge pipe a rosette of the plain butter cream (or dollop it on like me) and top with a single toasted walnut. 

A very pretty finish to a very delicious cake!

Yield: 8
Author:

Coffee Cake

Coffee Cake

prep time: cook time: total time:
Not a Coffee Cake in the American sense, but a delicious Coffee flavoured cake with a coffee walnut filling and garnish.  Moist and delicious!

ingredients:

For the Cake:
  • 175g butter, softened (3/4 cup)
  • 175g soft light brown sugar (3/4 cup packed, plus 1/2 TBS)
  • 1 TBS strong coffee, or a few drops coffee essence
  • 3 large free range eggs, lightly beaten
  • 175g self raising flour (1  1/4 cups)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
For the Butter Cream:
  • 110 butter, softened (1/2 cup)
  • 225g icing sugar, sifted (1 3/4 cup)
  • 2 TBS strong coffee, or 1 tsp coffee essence
  • 80g toasted walnuts, finely chopped (2/3 cup)
To Decorate:
  • icing sugar to dust
  • 8 toasted walnut halves

instructions:

How to cook Coffee Cake

  1. Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter two 8-inch round cake tins and line the bottoms with baking paper. Set aside.
  2. Sift together the flour and the baking powder. Set aside.
  3. Cream the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.  Beat in the coffee and then the beaten eggs a bit at a time until well incorporated. If the mixture starts to curdle, beat in a TBS of the flour, and continue. Fold in the flour.  Divide the batter equally amongst the prepared baking tins, levelling it off.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until risen and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.  Let cool in the tin for about 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack, peeling off the paper and leaving to finish cooling.
  5. Beat the butter for the icing until soft and creamy.  Beat in the sugar and the coffee, only adding as much coffee as needed to give you a thick spreadable/pipeable icing.  Remove about  4 TBS of icing and set aside.  Stir the chopped walnuts into the remainder of the icing.
  6. Place one cake layer on a serving plate.  Spread the walnut icing over to cover. (It will be a nice thick layer)  Top with the other cake layer.  Lay 4 skewers on top in a criss cross manner. Sift icing sugar over top and then carefully remove the skewers. You should have the cake marked now into 8 servings.
  7. Into each serving section,  pipe a rosette of the plain coffee icing and top with a toasted walnut half.  Store any remainders in a covered container.

Did you make this recipe?
Tag @marierayner5530 on instagram and hashtag it #EnglishKitchen
Created using The Recipes Generator



I think you are really going to love this cake. Its incredibly delicious!  Happy Saturday!



Coffee Cake 


This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at mariealicejoan at aol dot com. 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin


11 comments

  1. I have a WI meeting this week and we're having a cake and candy stall. This looks like one that will go pretty quick Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be a member of the WI Eleanor! Enjoy the cake! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. This looks gorgeous. Hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A favourite here. I recall looking for the coffee in an American Coffee cake recipe and being very confused!

    I hope your pain goes very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yum. I love coffee cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this today and it's delicious. Because I'm a recipe tweaker just like you, I added 75g of chopped walnuts to the batter as well. It was a hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great Marie! I am happy to see that you are cooking again! yay!! xoxo

      Delete
  6. There's an ad right over the recipe. I literally can't see how much of each ingredient to put in. WTF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no need for swearing or being rude. I am looking at this on ie (internet explorer) on my laptop and the ad abuts the ingredients, but does not cover them in any way. Checking on my iPad the ad appears below the ingredients, again not obscuring the recipe ingredients. Again, on my mobile phone the ad appears beneath the list of ingredients. On Mozilla, via my laptop, again the ad abuts the ingredients list, in no way obscuring them. On Chrome, the ad abuts but does not obscure the list of ingredients either. Might I ask what you are using to look at this with? It might also be noted that in the corner of each ad is an "X" which you are free to click and get rid of the ad altogether. Also the printable recipe has no ads on it at all. I work very hard at my page and took great care to go with a company that was non-intrusive when it came to ads. I do incur many expenses in order to provide you with free content, and spend at least 8 hours every day working at this. This is my job. I work very hard at it and feel I deserve to make a living wage. It costs you nothing but your time to look at this. If you are not happy with it, then are probably other places you can find a recipe, however I dare say I think mine is very good.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!