Butter Rum & Raisin Hot Rolls

Saturday 8 February 2020






I like to pull the stops out a bit at the weekend and bake my husband something special to enjoy. 


It was something I always did when my children were growing up, and something which continued once my birds left the next and something which I continue to do today.





Weekends are for enjoying things that you don't get to enjoy during the week, and that applies whether you are retired or not!  


Those be my house rules.  This helps to make our weekends feel special even though we no longer work.





I'll never forget something which happened when I was working at the big house.  


The housekeeper and I were helping the Mrs sort out some of her bazillions of pounds worth of shoes and the housekeeper made some remark about a holidays she and her husband were planning.  


The Mrs looked at us both and said "I've never had a holiday."  Of course the housekeeper and I gave each other a "look" that only we could understand.





From where we were situated to us it looked as if every day was a holiday for the Mrs. Just 365 days every year filled with whatever she wanted to do, trips here and there, and however much she wanted to spend, forever and forever and on and on.








It wasn't until later on when I was home and in my thinking spot that it dawned on me that actually what the Mrs had said was true. 



If every day is a holiday to you and without true meaning . . .  holidays/breaks/getaways lose their meaning.  There really is no such thing as a holiday or a weekend, or a break.  Just never ending sameness.






That's when I vowed that when we retired our weekends would always be marked as being special in some way, so that they didn't get drowned in the never-ending sameness of every day living. 








And so that is why I keep to my weekend treats and activities.  If we entertain, more often than not it will be at the weekend.  


We get to go to church on Sundays which are special, and I always, always bake my  husband or us a special meal/treat!





A weekend or a holiday is truly what you make of it and I want ours to always be special and meaningful.






These Butter Rum & Raisin Hot Rolls are truly special and really delicious!  


Did I mention that I am also rather lazy at times and more than a bit impatient when it comes to certain things.  So these, as well as being tasty, are really quick and easy to make!






Soft and fluffy buttery scone dough, patted out and spread with butter, brown sugar and raisins before rolling . . .







Cut into thick slices and baked in a really lush rum flavoured butter and cream sauce . . .  oh my goodness  . . .






Did I ever tell you that my favourite Lifesaver flavour (a North American candy) was Rum & Butter?  Well . . .  I am telling you now.






I don't drink alcohol because I am a Latter  Day Saint, but I do love the flavour of rum and butter.  I use rum extract for these. ( I suppose if you really wanted to get into it you could soak the raisins in some warm rum before using them, but I didn't choose to do that.)







I was ever so pleased with how these turned out.  I had been thinking about making something like this for a while. I wanted something similar to a cinnamon roll, but not a cinnamon roll . . .






I was REALLY pleased with how these turned out!  Over the moon in fact!





These were light and fluffy,  beautifully flavoured and sauced and absolutely perfect served warm with a hot drink.

Yield: Makes 4 (increases to make 8 in brackets)
Author:

Butter Rum & Raisin Hot Rolls

Butter Rum & Raisin Hot Rolls

I downsized one of my favourite quick roll recipes to feed only 2. You can double and I have added the larger measurements in brackets.  These are fabulously rich and delicious.  The perfect weekend treat!

ingredients:

For the rolls:
  • 140g or 1 cup plain flour (280g or 2 cups)
  • 2 tsp baking powder (4 tsp)
  • 1/4 tsp salt (1/2 tsp)
  • 30g or 1/8 cup cold butter (60g or 1/4 cup)
  • 70ml or 1/3 cup) milk (140ml or 2/3 cup)
  • softened butter to spread (be generous)
  • 100g or 1/2 cup soft light brown sugar (200g or 1 cup)
  • 50g or 1/3 cup sultana raisins (100g or 2/3 cup)
For the Sauce:
  • 30g or 1/8 cup butter (60g or 1/4 cup)
  • 75g or 1/3 cup soft light brown sugar (150g or 3/4 cup)
  • 60ml or 1/4 cup heavy cream (120ml or 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 tsp rum extract (1 tsp)

instructions:

How to cook Butter Rum & Raisin Hot Rolls

  1. Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 4. Butter an 8 inch round cake or pie tin very well. (10 inch) Set aside.
  2. Measure the butter and sugar for the sauce into a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes. Whisk in the cream and cook, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the mixture thickens about 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk in the rum extract. Pour into the buttered tin. Set aside while you do the dough.
  3. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter and then rub it into the flour using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Make a well in the centre and add the milk, stirring all together with a fork to form a soft dough. Pat out on a floured surface to a rectangle that is about 1/2 inch thick. (8 inches wide/16 inches wide). Spread generously with softened butter. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter and pat to make it stick. Sprinkle the raisins over top. Roll up tightly from the short edge sealing to join together. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1 inch slices crosswise. (4/8) Flatten slightly and place cut side down into the sauce mixture in the baking tin.
  4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Let sit in the pan for about five minutes, then carefully place a large plate over top and carefully turn the buns out onto the plate by flipping it upside down. Serve warm with your favourite beverage.

Did you make this recipe?
Tag @marierayner5530 on instagram and hashtag it #EnglishKitchen
Created using The Recipes Generator






I told myself I was only going to have a little nibble of one to see what they tasted like  . . .





😏  You can all see how that went!  


PS - I included measurements so that you can only make four  if you want, or eight if you have more people around.


10 comments

  1. I will definitely be trying these when my oven's repaired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are in for a treat Jay, I hope you don't have to wait long! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Splendid! And I love your tradition of keeping the weekends special. I shall do the same when I retire. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy! Its something I always planned on doing. It makes life a tiny bit more exciting I think! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Sounds delicious Marie! Do you add the rum extract with the cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Cathy, you whisk it after the sauce has thickened before you pour it into the pan! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Great point on the importance of making things special. Over here in the States, the retailers put holiday-specific things out early and earlier, making it into one big constant sameness. This past year, they had Halloween candy displays in JULY. Horrible!

    I like your mug too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stef, is a Royal Worcester Wrendale design. I know what you mean about the retailers. I want to buy Hot Cross Buns at Easter, now all year round and it really annoys me to see Easter Eggs next to the tils on Christmas Eve! xoxo

      Delete
  5. These look so good! Butter Rum was my favorite Lifesaver too! I can just imagine the flavor of these. I think weekends are for special treats too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzy! I miss Lifesaver's full stop over here! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!