Mexican Scrambled Eggs and Soft Flour Tortillas

Friday 5 June 2020



The other day I made us some tasty Mexican Scrambled Eggs for our lunch/supper.  We both enjoy Tex Mex flavours, and do enjoy a meal such as this every now and then. Quick each and incredibly delicious as well as being quite colourful! 


I decided to make my own tortillas for this.  I have a recipe of my own that I have been making for many years now. I started doing this back in the 1980's when mexican ingredients were not all that readily available.  You can get that recipe here.


My family loved my enchiladas and I started making my own tortillas so that I could make them enchiladas from my leftover turkey and other roasts. I had seen this recipe however on Pinterest from Cafe Sucre Farine.


I really wanted to try it.  They looked really good and I know that blog has a great reputation for producing good food.


I decided to use their recipe to make tortillas to serve with my Mexican Eggs.


The recipe was really easy to follow, although I always have had a problems rolling out perfect circles no matter what method I try to use.  I suspect that only a tortilla press will give me perfect circles.  These tortillas however, excellent. I highly recommend.  I have shared the British measurements here.

Soft Flour Tortillas
Print

Soft Flour Tortillas

Yield: Makes 16
Author:
These are simple to make and nice and soft.  Delicious as well! Adapted with British Measurements from Cafe Sucre Farine.

Ingredients:

  • 420g plain flour (3 cups all-purpose)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 80ml canola oil (1/3 cup)
  • 240ml warm water (1 cup)

Instructions:

  1. Measure the flour, salt and baking powder into the bowl of a stand mixer (fitted with a dough hook) or into a bowl.  Give it a good whisk together to combine.  Mix together the water and oil.  Drizzle this mixture into the flour with your mixer running on medium speed until a soft dough is formed. Reduce the speed to low and beat on low for a further minute or so until smooth.  I needed to add a tiny bit more flour. (If you are doing this with a hand mixture. Tip out and knead on a lightly floured surface until you have a smooth dough.) 
  2. Divide the dough into sixteen equal pieces.  Shape into balls. Flatten each ball slightly with your hands.  Cover with a clean soft kitchen towel and set aside to rest for fifteen minutes.  (You can leave to rest  for as much as 2 hours.)
  3. When you are ready to cook them, place each dough round, one at a time, onto a lightly floured surface and, using a floured rolling pin, roll out to a circle 6 to 7 inches in diameter. (Mine were not completely round as much as I tried. I think the only way to get them truly round is to use a tortilla press.) Do not stack them as they will stick together.
  4. Heat a 10 inch non-stick skillet over medium heat.  Working with one tortilla at a time, cook for 40 to 60 seconds on one side in the heated skillet (the tortilla should have some light brown blisters and some bubbles should appear on the uncooked side) and then flip over and cook for about 15 to 20 seconds longer. Remove from the skillet and stack in a covered container to keep warm while you cook the remaining ones.
  5. These will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week in an airtight container or a zip lock bag. You can freeze them for longer if you wish.  Separate them in the bag with a square of baking or greaseproof paper.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @marierayner5530 on instagram and hashtag it #EnglishKitchen
Created using The Recipes Generator




They were perfect to serve with the Mexican Scrambled Eggs.  I like toast with my eggs. I am an egg and toast person.



Mexican Scrambled Eggs however deserve a different kind of bread to accompany them and soft flour tortillas are the way to go!


This is the perfect lunch dish (or breakfast) for two people, with plenty of colour and flavour.


Two kinds of peppers, red and green  . . .  chopped red onion  . . .  a bit of pickled jalapeno for heat and some chopped fresh tomato. I used quartered cherry tomatoes.  Softened and mixed with perfectly scrambled eggs.


I like to serve them with some jack cheese melted on top, a dollop of sour cream and then a garnish of chopped spring onions or chives.  These were fabulous.

Mexican Scrambled Eggs
Print

Mexican Scrambled Eggs

Yield: 2
Author:
These flavourful eggs make a great breakfast or lunch. Filled with plenty of colour and texture.

Ingredients:

  • 3 large free range eggs
  • 2 TBS milk
  • 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
  • 1/2 green pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 red pepper, chopped
  • 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 1 TBS chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 TBS of butter
  • a handful of grated jack cheese to sprinkle
  • chopped chives or spring onion to garnish
  • sour cream
  • warm soft flour tortillas to serve

Instructions:

  1. Prepare your vegetables. Melt 1 TBS butter in a skillet. Add the onion and peppers. cook stirring until softened. Add the tomatoes and jalapeno pepper. Stir through and cook for one minute longer. Remove to a bowl. Keep warm. Wipe the pan clean.
  2. Beat the eggs together with the milk. Season lightly.
  3. Melt the butter in the skillet over medium heat. Once it begins to foam, pour in the egg mixture. Let set just until it begins to set on the bottom and around the edges, then begin to lie the cooked portion with a wooden spatula so that the uncooked portion can flow underneath. Repeat until the eggs are softly cooked. No stirring needed. They will be thickened through and yet still moist and fluffy.
  4. Fold in the cooked vegetables and stir though.  Scatter the cheese on top and allow to melt.   Add a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with spring onions or chives.  Serve immediately with warm soft tortillas.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @marierayner5530 on instagram and hashtag it #EnglishKitchen
Created using The Recipes Generator



I don't think you can go wrong if you are looking for a nice light breakfast or lunch for two. I would even serve these as a light supper with a salad on the side.  These beautiful tortillas also really added a special touch! 

 








3 comments

  1. See, this is why I adore your blog - you think outside of the box and come up with some wonderful flavour and texture combinations that I want to try immediately. The meal looks so inviting with those bright colours. I have to pencil this in for Sunday brunch.

    I've never thought of making my own tortillas. Mexican food is not something I grew up with and really only started learning about it while living here. I do make my own Indian style breads (Chapati, Paratha, Naan, Roti) but never tortillas. They seem not unlike making naan bread (minus the yeast), so certainly something to try out. Thank you. I'll let you know how it goes. And I hope Todd realises what a lucky man he is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much Marie, that is so kind of you to say! Tortillas are very easy to make and homemade ones are infinitely better than ready made I have to say! I think Todd knows how llucky he is. At least he says he does! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much Laurie! That Queen Elizabeth Cake is a favourite of ours as well! Hello to Gary! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!