Small Batch Bakewell Blondies

Saturday 6 June 2020




I had never heard of Bakewell anything until I moved over here to the UK.  I have always, however, had a great fondness for almond flavoured cakes and bakes.  


 
Don't get me started on chocolate covered almonds either  . . .  I cannot resist!






I had not been here very long when I ran into Bakewell Tarts . . . .  






Little pastry cases filled with a layer of jam and topped an almond frangipane cake, and glazed with an almond iced, garnished with a candied cherry.  


 
My husband just loves these.  LOVES LOVES LOVES  I have always found them a tiny bit cloying and somewhat too sweet.








That was my first experience with Bakewell, little did I know how very good they could actually be . . .  until I baked my own . . . you can see those here.  


 
That was when I truly fell in love with the Bakewell combination.








Since then I have played with the flavours of Bakewell baked goods, making Bakewell Whoopie Pies, Bakewell Slices, Bakewell Scones  . . .
















Raspberry Bakewell Overnight Oats, and  . . .  a traditional Bakewell Tart . . .  just to name a few of my Bakewell creations.








Each one incredibly scrummy and yummy in their own unique Bakewell ways. But what is a Bakewell supposed to be you might well ask.  Wikipedia describes it as thus: 



The Bakewell tart developed as a variant of the Bakewell pudding in the 20th century. Although the terms Bakewell tart and Bakewell pudding have been used interchangeably, each name refers to a specific dessert recipe. The tart is closely associated with the town of Bakewell in Derbyshire.









Simple, right? Wrong . . .  not so simple . . .  there are as many variants and claims to invention as there are months in the year. 


 
It is indeed a very intriguing question, one without a succinct answer except to say . . .  almond flavour figures big when it comes to Bakewell anything.








And we shall leave it at that.  This Bakewell Blondie is a small batch recipe I adapted from a full sized one I found here.   The pictures looked amazing  . . .









But in all honesty I didn't really want that much temptation laying around.  Todd can only eat so much and I didn't want to be snuffling up the leftovers myself.








So I cut the recipe in half as best as I could and baked it in a 9 by 5-inch loaf tin, which is the perfect pan for baking small batch bars.






I was really pleased with the outcome until I realised that I had forgotten to put the almonds on top before baking  . . .  not a problem.







I drizzled an almond glaze over the cooled bars and then sprinkled toasted flaked almonds on top of that.  Perfect!







These are fabulous little bars.  FAB-EWE-LOUS! (And yes I know that is not the way to spell fabulous, I am trying to make a point here.  They are really tasty!)








So good in fact that I am glad I only made a small batch.  Rich, fudgy, sweet  . . .  dense and filled with white chocolate chips and almond flavours . .  . with a swirl of raspberry jam and then that almond glaze and those flaked almonds. 


 
 Can you say M O R E I S H?  I hope so because that is what these are!  Incredibly edibly moreish.




Yield: 8 blondies
Author: Marie Rayner
Small Batch Bakewell Blondies

Small Batch Bakewell Blondies

Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 35 MinTotal time: 50 Min
These amazing brownie type of bars are fudgy, sweet and gooey with jam. I have glazed them with an almond glaze and sprinkled toasted flaked almonds on top for a cookie bar you won't be able to resist!

Ingredients

For the Bars:
  • 120g butter, melted (1/2 cup)
  • 50g caster sugar (1/4 cup)
  • 50g soft light brown sugar (1/4 cup packed)
  • 1 large free range egg, beaten
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 50g ground almonds (1/3 cup)
  • 100g plain flour (1 cup, minus 3 TBS)
  • 1/2 TBS cornflour (cornstarch)
  • 100g white chocolate chips (1/2 cup)
  • 8 tsp raspberry jam
For the glaze and topping:
  • 65g icing sugar (1/2 cup)
  • few drops of almond extract
  • hot water
  • a handful of toasted flaked almonds

Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Line a 9 by 5 inch loaf tin with baking parchment, leaving an overhang. Set aside.
  2. Beat together the melted butter and both sugars until smooth. Beat in the egg and almond extract. Stir in the flour, corn flour and ground almonds until smooth and well mixed. Stir in the white chocolate chips. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tin. Smooth the top.
  3. Dollop the raspberry jam evenly spaced over top in little puddles. Using a skewer, lightly swirl it through the blondie mixture.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until they are done with a slight wobble in the centre. This could take longer, or it could take less time. Start checking at 25 minutes. It all depends on how hot your oven runs.
  5. Leave to cool completely in the tin before lifting out onto a cutting board.
  6. Whisk together the icing sugar, almond extract and just enough water to give you a thickish drizzle that you can easily flick over the top of the bars. Drizzle it over and then sprinkle with the almonds.
  7. Allow to set and then cut into 8 bars. Store any leftovers in an airtight container.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @marierayner5530 on instagram and hashtag it #TheEnglishKitchen






If you only bake one thing this weekend, let it be these! 


 
 This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com 


Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again!


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

7 comments

  1. We love bakewell tarts, and they are so hard to get in Canada. There are a couple of British stores we go to and they usually get Mr Kipling ones in at Christmas time. Recipe saved and I’ll be making it as soon as I get all the ingredients

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy these Linda! Homemade bakewell anything is infinitely better than Mr Kipling, but in a pinch one does what one has to. They are very good also. xoxo

      Delete
  2. You are a serious temptress LOL...these are going to the TOP of my to-try pile. Yikes! (But, I don't believe I've heard of almond "flakes"?? Might they be the same as what we know as "slivered" almonds here??) ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over here we don't get slivered almonds Robin, just flaked and whole, but you can certainly use slivered toasted almonds. They might even be more "moreish!" Enjoy! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hello Marie, I've just made these this afternoon - you're not wrong, they are SO good! Another truly delicious and reliable recipe from you, thank you for sharing, always look forward to you in my inbox!
    Best wishes, Julie 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased you have enjoyed these Julie! Thanks for taking the time to let me know! xoxo

      Delete
  4. These are in the oven baking. I used chocolate chips as had a partial bag open. Toast all my nuts before using, likewise with coconut & oatmeal. Our dessert for tonight’s New England Pot Roast dinner. Substitute sliced almonds for flaked on this side of pond.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!